"The Meatrix" and sustainable agriculture

Joined Jul 3, 2002
A colleague who's teaching Eric Schlosser's Fast Food Nation passed along this link for a humorous little "flash presentation"--I guess that means short little filmlette--that introduces viewers to the problems with factory farming. It's no big deal, sort of cute. But this is NOT a PETA project. At the end of the film they provide a list of family farmers, stores, and restaurants that sell meat that is not from factory farms.

http://www.themeatrix.com

And, by the way, if you want to read the single most horrifying account of what it's like to work in a non-union slaughterhouse/meat-packing plant, take a look at chapter 8 "The Most Dangerous Job" in Schlosser's book. Upton Sinclair's The Jungle looks like Club Med compared to this.

Joined Oct 30, 2003
i took a class in college that used this book as one of it'[s course books, it's a great read for ANYONE... but only if you have a strong stomach!

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
That was cute. Anyone have any hard information about whether "sustainable" farming can really feed the world? I have my doubts.

By hard info, I mean more than a square footage of farmed area argument. At it's core, this is really an economics problem with branches in gathering, distribution, affordability, and availability off the top of my head.

I don't think sustainable farming would have saved Ethiopia, Kenya or those other countries with drought and hunger issues. In many ways that was compounded by a political distribution blockade too.

Phil

Top Bottom