The March 2018 challenge: The Ginger Family

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by butzy, Mar 1, 2018.

1. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I know of these. Yorkshire fare:
    11585297.Traditional_Yorkshire_recipe_for_pig_shaped_Bonfire_Night_treat

Lovely stuff. And you have the piggy shapes!

2. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    My take on a Portuguese soup. I made fresh chicken stock from carcass and bones from the freezer, onion, carrot, celery, leek, garlic, a big chunk of smashed ginger, dried pepper, black pepper corns, thyme, parsley and bay - oh and water to cover. I browned everything before adding cold water then brought to a simmer and never let it boil. After three hours I strained it and strained it again though a bar towel. I ladled enough for three helpings and added the goo from the other nights roasting pan and boy was it good.

Olive oil in a pot, minced onion, garlic, peperoncino, smoked paprika, chorizo to get acquainted. Then the stock, garbanzo beans, greens and some chicken from the other night. Checked for seasoning and . . . perfect. Served with a splash of very good evoo and a grating of romano with a toasted biscuit on the side and a glass of red wine.

[​IMG]

brianshaw, butzy and kaneohegirlinaz like this.
  3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    5 Lentil Dal, my first effort at cooking dal. Accompanied with Garlic Naan and some Bhaji/Pakora to round out the meal.

Start the Garlic Naan as from the Garlic Challenge. Soak your mix of lentils even though most are really a split bean or pea.

Water, salt, turmeric, oil.

2018-03-07 16.33.19.jpg

Bring to a boil. Add oil and soaked lentils. Towards the end of cooking the dal, add cumin, garam masala, hot chile and correct seasoning.

Puree garlic and ginger together with a little water. Pic is prior to puree, in the bottom of the measuring cup from measuring flour for the naan. This is a common technique I've seen in many Indian cookbooks. Reserve.

2018-03-07 17.03.28.jpg

Make a thinnish pakora or bhaji batter. This is besan, cumin, chile, garam masala and some of the ginger-garlic paste. Mix together.

2018-03-07 17.06.44.jpg

While the lentils cook, prepare their topping. Slice an onion thinly. Heat butter in pan, add cumin seed. When that starts to get popping excited, add some ginger-garlic paste, then the onions when that is fragrant. Cook until the onions are browned. Reserve.

Cut bite-size broccoli. Dredge the head of the broccoli through the bhaji batter while holding the tip of the stem--it just kept the whole process much neater. Drain a bit for a lighter fritter, then into the oil. Same with the onion if you like. I used a large onion for the topping above and reserved some slices for just this purpose.

Dinner Assemble! Oh, that's the Avengers thing.

I screwed up scaling the dal some and it was a bit too runny. Still good topped with the browned onions and eaten on the naan. The pakora/bhaji, dip in a chutney of your choice. I used some commercial tamarind and another commercial coriander chutney.

2018-03-07 18.10.36.jpg

4. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I don't cook lentils that often, not sure why, because when I do my wife and I enjoy them. I may add another dish or two to my plans for this challenge.

When it was first announced, I came up with a dish right away. My favorite bar prepares really good food. Every week they feature some specials, one that comes around every now and then is honey ginger chicken wings. Went there for lunch today, and gee, guess which appetizer special was added today?

20180307_165830.jpg

So that's what I ate. Will make a batch of my own later, the first dish I was planning was keeping the Chinese theme going, a pork, ginger and garlic stir fry. Stay tuned.

20180307_191139.jpg

5. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    @phatch That looks like a splendid Indian meal, and Turmeric came into play!
    @teamfat pork, ginger and garlic.... You can't go wrong! Looking forward to your creation
    @mike9 It's cold here, and I wouldn't mind a cup of that soup ...

6. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Got a chance to do the pork and ginger stir fry, as I mentioned.

The Players

In addition to the big hunk of pork, the garlic and ginger I posted before, the supporting cast includes dried chilies, red onion, honey, cornstarch, soy sauce, rice vinegar, rice wine and peanut oil.

20180309_191335.jpg

The Procedure

First the pork is prepared. I did not use the whole 5 pound hunk pictured, just took a few slices off the end, maybe 1/2 inch think. Cut those down into strips. There will be other pork dishes in the very near future, unrelated to this challenge.

20180309_191750.jpg

The pork strips were put into a bowl with some soy sauce, rice vinegar, sherry and a dose of cornstarch. They got marinated for maybe an hour, and were given the occasional stir.

20180309_192300.jpg
    Meanwhile the ginger and garlic were peeled and minced. Dried chilies crushed into the mix.

20180309_195144.jpg

And then technical troubles arise, and not all pictures of the process are available.

The pork goes into a strainer, the marinade into the bowl below it. About a half cup of beef stock, which is what I had, gets poured over the meat to rinse it a bit. The wok gets heated heated up, a splash of peanut oil goes in, the drained pork strips get a hot bath. Once they are browned, the pork bits get pulled out, the onion goes in.

20180309_210801.jpg

After about a minute the ginger, garlic and chile get dumped. After that gets nice and very fragrant the marinade is poured in, stirred for a bit, pork goes back in and simmers. Had a nice short video of the bubbling wok, or so I thought. Oh well.

The Product

And the picture of the final presentation before I chowed down is nowhere to be found. Here's a bad snapshot of the aftermath.

. 20180309_221251.jpg

Imaging issues aside, it was good. The flavor of the fresh ginger and garlic really were up front, but I could hardly taste any of the chilies, so it wasn't quite as spicy as I wanted. But overall, a good dish.

mjb.

kaneohegirlinaz likes this.
  7. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I thought I'd play up the turmeric. This is the first time I've cooked Indonesian although I'm very familiar with Indian - this recipe which I tweaked a bit was from an Indonesian so I guess its reasonably authentic.

Chicken thighs, onions, turmeric, coriander, cumin, lemongrass, basil, spring onions (scallions) and chillies.
    Manadonese Spicy Stewed Chicken:

fullsizeoutput_2e07.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2e0c.jpeg

butzy, brianshaw and kaneohegirlinaz like this.
  8. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    As I continue to prepare for our neighborhood's Craft & Bake Sale,
    I made Gluten Free/Dairy Free/Tree-nut Free Morning Glory Muffins.
    I did a riff on King Arthur Flour's recipe
    My changes:
    Gluten Free Measure-for-Measure Flour
    Sub Raisins with Dried Cranberries
    Add 3 Tbsp Molasses
    Up the ground Ginger from 1/2 to a full teaspoon
    omit Coconut and Walnuts (we're going Tree-nut Free)
    sub Sunflowers seeds for Pumpkin Seeds or Pepitas
    add Crushed canned Pineapple
    sub OJ for that drained off Pineapple Juice
    add the zest from a large Orange
    to gild the lilly, top each muffin with more Pumpkin Seeds and some Old Fashion Oats, just so they're pretty

And just to make everything interesting, I now am at a much higher elevation,
    so there are a few other things that I have to do at 4800 feet above Sea level 8)
    006.JPG 007.JPG

003.JPG
    I made them again using AP Flour, the Coconut, Pecans, and pretty
    much everything else in the version above.
    I really couldn't tell the difference in taste though, but I did like the Coconut and Pecans add in :emoji_yum:

butzy, drirene and morning glory like this.
  9. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Are they specially for me? :rofl:

10. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    HA! Sure MG, this recipe made enough for 6 jumbo muffins as well as 6 cupcake-sized --- both versions are quite yummy, even if I do say so myself. I liked the extra molasses and that was a first for me baking with Pepitas.

morning glory likes this.
  11. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    What sort of stuff was the gluten-free flour? Gluten is a big issue for many, especially those with autism. The big complaint I always hear is that the substitutes taste like crap.

12. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    For me, the gluten free taste is not the issue, it is the texture. Without gluten, hard and crumbly. With gluten, soft and stretchy.

Not an issue with Morning Glory's chicken thighs - looks delicious!

mjb.

13. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I agree that with gluten free flour the issue is texture. Its very difficult to work with and crumbly. For muffins it can work (and @kaneohegirlinaz 's look lovely). Pastry is another story!

14. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I used Krusteaz brand AP Gluten Free flour and I've found no difference in taste so far over regular AP flour.

mjb, so far the texture is the same to me, these muffin are great. This brand of gf flour that I use has xanthan gum, essential for the texture issue, or Guar Gum, or both in some cases, depending on the recipe. When the packaging says, "measure for measure" you can beat it has usually xanthan gum in it, but check first.

MG, I've made loads of GF/DF/Nut-free, not pastry though, and the only thing that I DID NOT care for was the sub of Cauliflower for a crust, as in Pizza Crust ... ACK!! But then I must be fair and say I very much dislike Cauliflower and I don't care how you serve it to me, I just plain don't like it, PERIOD!!

morning glory likes this.
  15. brulo

brulo

Exp:
    Cooking School
    Wasn't aware of this month's challenge and turned out I've made Shepherd's Pie the other day and one of the "twists" was... fresh ginger!!!

I used a good quality, fatless meat, cut in regular cubes, put some flour on it and sear it until golden brown. Put it aside and used the same pan for the veggies (onions, peppers, garlic, whatever you want) and pine mushrooms.

Add a little splash of Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce.

Incorporate the meat again.

I´ve added the fresh ginger (you can see it in the fourth pic).

Then added a good splash of Jack Daniels Honey Bourbon.

Reserve all that.

For the mashed potatoes I've added butter, olive oil, a couple egg yolks, salt and pepper.

Put the meat and veggies on the stove again and add like 1/4 cup of water. The flour on the meat will thicken the sauce pretty quickly.

Build up the pie and to the oven it goes!

I can't say in word of awesome it tasted, really, a total success.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

butzy and brianshaw like this.
  16. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I roasted a chicken last week and made stock with those bones plus other chicken "parts" from the freezer. I had a breast left over and some greens and a quart of stock so . . . . to use it up I made a faux Pho. Scallion, thinly sliced garlic and ginger, cilantro, greens and sliced chicken. I used dried Ramen noodles and seasoned the stock with oyster sauce, tamari, soy, sesame oil and a shot of sriracha. Quite satisfying for a cold "Winter night in March".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

butzy and brianshaw like this.
  17. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    @morning glory : Indonesian food is one of my favourites. Your dish looks stunning. Bet it was tasty too!
    @brulo : Ginger in a shepard's pie? That's a pretty novel way of cooking it!
    Sounds good to me though. And those mashed potatoes look awesomely fluffy!
    I assume you used lamb or sheep? Otherwise it is actually a cottage pie ;)
    @mike9 : Lovely looking soup!

Great going, all.
    Love the way this challenge is coming along.
    Remember that Cardamom is also part of this family :)

18. brulo

brulo

Exp:
    Cooking School
    It's actually cow! Here in Argentina that dish is simply called "potato pie" (even when the main ingredient is meat, the first thing you see it's the mashed potatoes).

I wasn't aware the actual Shepherd's was only with lamb or sheep! Thanks for teaching me something new! :D

The potatoes are kind of "duchess potatoes" because of the butter and egg yolks, but I think Duchess also use cream (which I didn't used this time).

And yeah, the ginger combined pretty awesomely! It gave a fresh and "lemony-like" flavor, paired nicely with the honey bourbon too. It's probably one of my favorites recipes since then.

19. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    In Hawaii, this is a popular dish:
    Beef Broccoli
    001.JPG 002.JPG 005.JPG Pretty simple (sorry, I don't measure for this dish, it's just eyeballed)
    Thinly sliced Beef (I had a steak I needed to use up) marinated in some Cornstarch, Shoyu (Soy Sauce) and White Pepper
    While you wait (oh, about 5-10 minutes or so) make your 'sauce' of Beef Broth, Shoyu, Oyster Sauce, Sugar and Sesame Oil
    Also prep the Broccoli into bite sized pieces
    Stir fry the Beef, add in minced garlic and grated fresh Ginger Root (to taste, I use alot of Ginger)
    Add the veg, give it a good stir around, add a bit of water-cover to steam til the veg is crisp tender
    Add sauce, stir and reduce to desired thickness (we don't like ours too thick)
    I served our plates up with a bed of steamed white Rice (we like 'sticky rice')
    Local Style Beef Broccoli, MMM! The meat is tender and the veg isn't over nor under done.

morning glory and brulo like this.
  20. brulo

brulo

Exp:
    Cooking School
    Looks pretty awesome!

Saving this in favorites to try it out! :D