The March 2018 challenge: The Ginger Family

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by butzy, Mar 1, 2018.

1. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I had a couple of ideas in my head and one of them was Capsicum. I checked the old challenges and found that we had done a pepper one already :(
    So that one was out.
    I didn't want to do another region (I was thinking of Carribean) and my other original idea was Coriander (the whole plant). Decided not to do that either.

The March challenge is:
    THE GINGER FAMILY

Here is some info that I stole from Gernot Katzer's spice pages.
    If you have never visited that site, please do it now.
    (http://gernot-katzers-spice-pages.com/engl/spice_bot.html#Zingiberaceae)

Family Zingiberaceae
    The ginger family contains several important medical plants. 1500 species, typically tropical perennials, often with large rhizomes. Essential oils are common, consisting both of terpenoids and phenylpropanoids.
    Use fresh if you can get or powdered/ground if you want.....
    You can even continue cooking Chinese dishes o_O
    So... Get Going

And for whoever doesn't now them yet (and new members/new participants)
    The rules:
    - The challenge begins on the 1st of every month and the last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
    - You may post multiple entries.
    - All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
    - If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
    - Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
    - The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
    - Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.

The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Would Zingiber carbonatum (Ginger Ale) be acceptable?

3. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Ginger - an excellent choice @butzy. I have loads of recipes containing ginger but I guess the challenge is to foreground the ginger. Now, looking at your list above I realise you are including Turmeric and Black Cardamom. I must confess I didn't realise they were in the ginger family. I have some fresh turmeric root to hand - which is a revelation if you have only used ground turmeric before.

Anyway - I have a lot of recipes which include all three of the above (Indian style dishes). This is going to be fun.

4. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Interesting choice, looking for some creative dishes, both sweet and savory. I was thinking horseradish was related to ginger, but I guess not.

And there is no rule that says you can't repeat a theme, I've often thought that revisiting eggs, a challenge I hosted some time ago, might be fun again.

Will certainly be thinking of something new to me to present this month.

mjb.

5. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Horseradish (Armoracia rusticana, syn. Cochlearia armoracia) is a perennial plant of the Brassicaceae family (which also includes mustard, wasabi, broccoli, and cabbage).

butzy likes this.
  6. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Interesting, this could include recipes from all over the planet...

7. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    There is a nice fat ginger root nestled in a small basket in my kitchen along with its bedmate, garlic. I'm such an obsessive cook that I think of ideas for recipes as I fall asleep - it beats counting sheep. Tonight that ginger root is taking centre stage. :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    drirene and butzy like this.
  8. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Yeah, hopefully we are getting sweet and savoury dishes from many different places and looking forward to that ginger beer or ginger ale @brianshaw is going to make for us (with real ginger) :):):)

9. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    When I was brewing we would make a light cream ale with fresh ginger. It was a great summertime BBQ beer. And it was good for marinating beef, as well!

Maybe I'll try something like baking some ginger snaps.

mjb.

butzy and kaneohegirlinaz like this.
  10. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    What a great ingredient for a Challenge butzy!

My husband and I have moved into a new area, with a beautiful Community Center. They sponsor many different events throughout the year; the one that I enjoy the most is our Craft & Bake Sale. As it happens, I am now preparing for the Spring Sale, that’s in about 2 weeks or so.

I’d been hearing so much about Chai Tea, but never tried it … MMM!

This is my riff on a recipe that I found online at Taste Of Home dot com.

2 C. Sugar

2 C. unsweetened Instant Tea

1 ½ C. French Vanilla flavored Non Dairy Powdered Creamer

1 ¼ C. Brown Sugar

¾ C. Non Dairy Powdered Milk

2 ½ tsp. ground Cinnamon

1 ½ tsp ground Nutmeg

1 ½ tsp. ground Ginger

1 ¼ tsp. ground Cardamom Seeds

1 ¼ tsp. ground Cloves

1 tsp. ground Allspice

¼ tsp. White Pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Working in batches, process the mixture in a Blender until it’s a fine powder.

To serve, add ¼ cup of the mixture to a mug and combine with 1 cup of either hot milk or water, your choice.

018.JPG

I fresh ground all of the spices except for the Ginger ;)

I package my Chai Tea Mix up in Mason Jars, and made them all fancy-like.

These sold pretty well the last go around, so fingers crossed this month.

Y’know, I’d never used Cardamom before… the smell is intoxicating!

I have both the Cardamom pods and seeds left over, so I’ll be watching this Challenge for more ideas on how to use them.

morning glory and butzy like this.
  11. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    And for the record, like many men of my vintage, I prefer Mary Ann over Ginger.

12. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Indeed, and somehow despite all my time on this earth I just in the last year or so learned that Ginger is a term that refers to redheads, much to the amusement of all present.

drirene likes this.
  13. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I had to look this up - not 'cos its not my era but 'cos its a US show and I didn't know about it. My youngest daughter is a 'ginge'. That one syllable abbreviation is often used as a pejorative term in the Uk.

Oh - and my hair is red too (dyed). So be careful what you say! :emoji_blush: That is supposed to be a laughing emoji. I'm jesting.

drirene likes this.
  14. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I'll play - birthday party next door today so I make shrimp cocktail. I dusted a pound of 21-25 shrimp with old bay after pealing. Into my pan went white wine, a splash of lemon juice, teaspoon of lobster base, parsley, sliced garlic and a good whack of sliced ginger and a grind of black pepper. I boiled it for 30 seconds to cook off the alcohol and extract the flavor of the garlic and ginger.
    [​IMG]
    Next I poached the shrimp, removed to a sheet pan and placed on the snow to blast chill. I'm racing the clock here are half the shrimp.
    [​IMG]
    I reduced the pan juice and strained and that liquid is gold - saving that for another dish -
    [​IMG]

butzy, drirene and morning glory like this.
  15. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I’m trying to play but need to figure out how to post my pics of crispy ginger spice cookies. They taste great, BTW.

16. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Brian, when you type a reply, you'll see underneath it on the right hand corner, a box with "upload a file".
    Press that and it opens a browsing window. Go to your pictures and upload the pictures you need one by one.
    You can then incorporate them into your post as thumbnail or whole file.
    St least that's how I do it and it seems to work :)

17. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    double post

18. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    triple post

19. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    837B7957-A4ED-4B1F-A413-C5213AD29CAD.jpeg

Crispy ginger spice cookies. Inspired, in part, by “Parkin Pigs” that I once enjoyed in Northern England.

219DFE9B-9DC9-4ED9-A975-7298116298A5.jpeg

Butter, sugar and orange zest creamed. Orange fresh from the tree.

78D11961-FE05-4785-A70B-18554FF6C137.jpeg

The liquids: egg, molasses and lemon juice. Meyer lemon fresh from the tree.

0D689138-80AF-442C-80CB-8034C829C9B5.jpeg

The spices that were part of the dry ingredients. GINGER, the featured ingredient. Supporting ginger was nutmeg, allspice, clove, and cinnamon.

E86AC329-C7FB-4FBB-A0CD-63ECD7511096.jpeg

Not the prettiest of pictures, I must admit, but bakers will understand. :)

One of the tastiest gingerbread cookies I’ve ever made. The citrus makes a huge difference from the more traditional recipes.

20. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    We're off to a good start.....
    Keep them coming ;)