The love/hate of crusty bread

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by phatch, Feb 5, 2004.

1. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    So a broiled up some bread for bruschetta. Brushed with oil and rubbed with garlic. (tomatoes and basil and more oil on top)

Wonderful! Crunchy!

Now, the roof of my mouth is a bit sore. Grrrr.

And I know I'll do it again.

Do I need a 12 step program?

:D

Phil

2. scott123

scott123

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Well, look on the bright side, because of the chemical makeup of saliva, your mouth heals faster than any other part of your body.

3. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You could always have your teeth pulled and replaced with a full set of dentures including a hand made palate. No more pain! :cool:

4. ritafajita

ritafajita

Well, if there were a 12 step program for crunchy- crusted bread, I'd recommend a life of remaining in a state of denial ;)

Some addictions are worth having :)

RF

5. thebighat

thebighat

Have your teeth pulled...how prophetic. Monday night I bit into a baquette and a molar exploded. I'm looking at a minimum of a crown, we don't know about the root canal. One of my worst adult nightmares come true.

6. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    :eek: Youch!!! I just had my first root canal recently. The worst part was the tenderness from the shots. I needed 7.

As often as I eat bread these days, I try to hold out for the good, crusty stuff because at least that's worth it. :lips:

7. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I had a root canal a few years back and was pleasantly surprised. It was painless except for the shots. They've come a long way since. :) Knowing Mezz, she'd just have matzo balls instead of bread anyway.

8. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Everyone has a different threshold of pain.

9. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You could always put the Bruschetta topping on a nice soft flour tortilla and save the roof of your mouth and start a new trend! I do however feel the roof of your mouth pain! Been there, done that too!

10. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Does your 12 step program have a satellite group for sufferers of repeat pizza palate?

11. azrael

azrael

i hate crusty bread, they always rip up the insides of my mouth. I dip them in soup till they're nice and soggy.

12. chefboy2160

chefboy2160

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I love to bake bread ! My favorite piece is that crunchy end fresh out of the oven . I just love the texture feel of the hard crunch to the soft interior with great butter infusing it all ! Yum ! Ive never yet hurt my mouth on crusty bread ( Knocking on my wooden cutting board ) but I have burned the heck out of it on hot pizza though . Ouch , I can relate ..............................................

13. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Phil,

You don't need a 12 step program!! great taste comes with sacrifices (sometimes) Don't torture yourself, eat much crusty bread. And don't bother with the PH level or bio-chemical make up:D