The long road back

Joined Dec 23, 2004
That's rough, but it's good that they are taking the lead in saying not yet. Left to ourselves, we kitchen folk usually push too soon.

Quoted for truth! ;) That's absolutely what would happen if they let me go back. I'd start out taking it easy but within a couple days I'd be running around trying to do everything I used to do. Many (most?) of us only have one mode- BEAST MODE! If they tweak the recommendations or if I get ahead of the curve great but for now I'll just wait.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
For what it's worth, bear in mind that Jacques Pepin was in a horrendous car crash, and the doctors were pretty sure he'd never walk again, even if he survived, which they thought unlikely. It's why he stopped doing full-on cooking in restaurants for a long time, and a lot of what propelled him into teaching and then TV. I think we can agree that he's succeeded admirably, and made the food world a better place! You can do it, just take your time and consider what other ways you might be able to stay in the industry you love if the most punishing line work ends up being unworkable. Good luck!

Joined Dec 23, 2004
My team of surgeons and therapists think I should get most of the function back eventually. Obviously we'll see. Guess I'm lucky I'm not a pro golfer or roofer! Once I can lift a case of onions and run a sautee pan I'll be back in the game.

Joined Dec 23, 2004
Well, I'm officially unemployed now. My old boss informed me they can't hold my position open any longer especially since I have no idea when I'll be medically cleared to work. I'm not surprised at all; in my state they didn't need to even hold my job for a week much less half a year. It's kind of surprising they waited this long. I'm fine with it, to be honest, and it kind of helps my comp case. Eventually I will reach a point where I can do light duty in which case a modified job would have to be negotiated, etc. Of course those modified duties have a way of morphing; can't you just unload the truck this one time? We don't have anyone to put that 10 gallons of soup up, are you sure you can't lift it? Etc, etc. My old employer had some unrealistic (and illegal) expectations about what I might do as far as being constantly available by email, Slack, phone, etc. If I quit then it would be a golden opportunity for their work comp insurer to attempt to get out of paying so really this is the best outcome for me, according to my attorney.

My PT has kind of moved into another stage. Mobility is improved enough that I'm now doing a little bit of work on strength. It's baby steps of course. I'm still forbidden from reaching into my back right pocket, and the surgeon feels I should permanently abstain from carrying my wallet there (which I have of course done since I was maybe 8 years old!). So I suppose I'll be arguing with the doctors over what I will and won't be doing for the rest of my life. ;)

The worm has at least started to turn in me re acceptance. I've finally realized that I can't rush this and have no reason to, nothing to go back to that can't wait. That's kind of a blessing. I can see now that I was guilting myself a bit over not getting back to my old kitchen and "leaving them hanging" but now that's out of my hands. I really do have to let the medicine dictate the trajectory of things now. When I'm stronger I'll have a panel that will run a battery of vocational tests and determine if I have a disability rating and what I "can" do work-wise.

The TL;DR version- I'm doing just fine. Maybe I'll even try to relax a bit and live a little while I can't do anything for work.

Joined Aug 13, 2019
Only advice? Be careful of pain management, try and deal with it the most wholesome way possible, accept you may be breaking down. I'm right there with you, 54 and almost shot out. Good luck and speedy recovery. Honestly, I'd prefer to stay home, cook, smoke grass, and do crafts, but its not in the cards yet.

Joined Dec 23, 2004
Luckily I'm through the pain part, at least for now. I might have a little soreness occasionally after PT but it's just stiff, not painful.

Top Bottom