"The Loaf" as cruel and unusual punishment

Joined May 26, 2001
This morning's NPR news has a feature on a new method of prisoner discipline being practiced at a maximum security prison in Baltimore. It is the dreaded LOAF -- check this out! They give the recipe, too. ;)

Joined Aug 29, 2000
I can see none of you has ever eaten some of the farfel casseroles out there for Passover... :lol: Bet this even has more fiber!

Joined Jan 1, 2001
I don't know, it can't be all that bad. It looks like some recipes I've seen and tasted for vegan Meatless "meat"loaf.
I'm sure a little salt and pepper wouldn't hurt.

Joined Jul 28, 2001
they didn't post the most important ingredient. This tends to make it a little off. Anyone in prison cooking knows what I'm talking about. It may have changed but it was this way yrs. ago.
SP not S&P

Joined Oct 13, 2001
Very good recipe . I worked for a county jail system when I was young and we had somthing very similar . They were for the prisoners who had commited offenses bad enough to land them in the hole ( SOLITARY ) . If I remember right it was dried beans ,
grated carrots , a little rice , raisins , powdered milk and bread .
We put this all in a roasting pan with just enough water to soften the beans , bake for a couple of hours and cut this into squares before it cools . They called them Jute Balls and you supposedly could stay alive on them if you did not break your teeth in the process . As I remember the hole was a place to be avoided . Prison aint no picknick for the bad ones .

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
??? I've eaten something similiar, made by my wife's sister's husband's mother. Always wondered what was in it, now I know.

Kuan

Latest posts

Top Bottom