The latest in overboard restaurants

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by chrose, Feb 18, 2006.

1. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm sorry but here's one restaurant I cannot seem to get behind. While I keep my fingers crossed for people like Panini, Peachcreek & Mich (and everybody else here at CT) for their continued success, I really couldn't care less if this place lives or dies!
    Seriously $240 for a rack of Veal from Mario Batali?!? $27 for a plate of Spaghetti?!? Perhaps from the late great Jean Louis, or Escoffier, but these guys? Never! Seriously over inflated egos pumping up their perceived self importance! (Just wait until I hit the lottery!)

http://apnews.myway.com//article/200...D8FRDCE8D.html

2. laprise

laprise

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Don't think about the money, it's very relative...

Think about whether or not it's a great dish...

The more the years passes, the more prices become obsolite... more and more rich people in this world, so $240 is nothing when you make $1000 a day at work...

The only thing I hate, is that both you and I can't afford to go to those place:)

3. andrew hope

andrew hope

Exp:
    Line Cook
    made $1000 a day I still wouldn’t pay $240 for one entree ever... bring your date there have a few drinks and your looking at spending your days work :p But besides that how can it be good enough to warrant prices like that...

4. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I don't think prices will ever be obsolete in this country. We still have only 1% of our population making 100,000. a yr. or more. I have not seen 2005 so it may have reached .02 but I doubt it.
    I have talked with Lydia on occassions and would have bet this was pushed by the boy. I can just hear her now, oh my, what have I done?
    Someone from the bakery just called to tell me that Mario had a special tonight on this restaurant.
    Chrose, don't you think that rack is a table price? The pasta was 27. though. hum.

5. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hey speak for yourself :)
    The point was less the dollar amount of that particular dish as the outrageousness of the whole experience. You spend $12mil. on a restaurant you're going to have to charge ridiculous prices to recoup your investment.
    Mario is quite good, so is Lydia, but it all seems overboard to me.
    Pan I'm sure the rack is table price, but unless it's "Kobe Veal", ehh even then.
    Maybe it's a personal thing, maybe I'm just cynical, maybe Laprise is right:confused:
    Screw it I'm going to Cracker Barrel:eek: now that's high quality and I gots me a coupon for a free dinner!

6. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Oh yea, it's over the top. That Rocco guy is appearing in our town this week. He showed up at one of the local culinary schools. I had heard he was doing radio. He ended the over the top thing for me. I agree 100% chrose. It's like I don't want the concept to beat me by me wanting to go. I will resist.
    I will be honest, I never compare money to a good eating experience, there are those here that can attest to that. In fact, if it's a good time and food, I will never look at the reciept. If not I will usually look to see if the price was inline with the food. Do not take this anyother way then it was meant. Went out to an old world French Restaurant with a six top. Been there before and never looked at a receipt. From imported farm cheeses to etc.
    This time the starters were midiocre at best. We got a little sneer when I mentioned we needed some b&b's for I like to share everything with all.
    I asked for a recomendation on wine with the starters and was handed a wine list. Our table had a samalier buddie who did the honors and just looked at me. It put a damper on the time. The tab was well, not way, over a k which shocked me because I threw the server 2 bills and I thought it may have been too much. I won't go back.

7. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Just an FYI,

Fresh plume de veau or Privimi hotel racks are going for $13.00 Per lb wholesale right now. A whole racks average is almost 18 lbs. Split and chinned about 8 lbs. That's $104 raw food cost for a half rack (7 ribs) add labor and overhead, what do you have? Then whats the profit margin?

I'm sure it's a table price, + the whole table probably needs to order it.

8. 100folds

100folds

I've thought about this a lot. What a chef feels is reasonable to price his food at. When you pay high prices at a restaurant, you are not just paying for the food or labour cost you are also paying for the experience that chef has obtained over the years. What he or she feels it is worth.
    Do we have a right to judge whether or not it is adequate, I don't think so. I agree that we don't make enough to pay 240.00 for an entre, even if the entire table is sharing it but then again, we do have the experience to cook it for ourselves. Can we cook it as well as the offering chef, that's where whether or not we go to that restaurant comes in.
    I just think its important to leave people to what they think is reasonable and do what you think is reasonable. That way we can always be open minded.

9. lamington

lamington

The problem is that "reasonable" is a fluid concept influenced by fashion and the stupidity of the monied classes... and successful mega high-priced places encourage lesser places to raise their prices.

10. mikeb

mikeb

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Split a rack of veal 8 ways, 30 dollars per person. This is quite reasonable, in fact, is less than the main courses where I work. I in fact am a huge fan of this style of cooking and serving - cooking large cuts of meat that are split at the table. The pasta prices do seem to be quite high however. The only way to find out if the experience is worth the price, to go there yourself.

Also, to go a little off-topic, why do North Americans use the term 'entrée' to describe a main course?

11. markv

markv

Yes.

The first ammendment gives us the right,
    our knowledge of the culinary world gives us the ability to,
    and this forum gives us the opportunity.

Mark

12. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    http://menupages.com/PrintableMenus/NY0507.pdf

The Menu, I am finding it hard to get paste the risotto prices, but what I see are dishes that are to feed to 2-3 or more people.Batali et al are really trying to get a 4* review from Bruni, this menu does not seem to offer 4* cuisine, nor technique.

I think people who frequent 4* restaurants in NYC will not be the ones supporting Del Pasto.

BTW, the veal dish in question if for the entire table, as is a pork loin with fennel and prunes for $200 Per table.

13. markv

markv

14. blueschef

blueschef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We all, hopefully, know the Italians taught the French to cook!:D

15. blueschef

blueschef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We all, hopefully, know the Italians taught the French to cook!:D

16. ma facon

ma facon

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The french think, The italians do, And the Americans are.:chef:

I don't beleive in complications..................................... ....

17. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I hope Batali and company the best of luck and I hope they make it.

18. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well to start I would have to agree on Marks question that it seems at least historically if you are not French, no 4th star for you irregardless of Madame Catherine.
    Seeing also the menu that Brad was so gracious to find, as well as all the posts have caused me to temper my original comments. I will admit that my thinking is partially biased by Mario being a "made for Food TV" type star. If it wasn't for FTV would Mario be "Mario"? It's become to me the "Rocco syndrome". I will say this about Mario and that is I have always been impressed with the depth of his knowledge and passion for Italian food and cooking. He may well have done more for breaking the stereotypes of Italian cooking than most others. As least with the exposure he has.
    The menu while ridiculous in some parts (but then I have seen that as well in lesser restaurants) is also very adventurous and unique. So in that respect is he any different than say Morimoto?
    So I still think the concept of $12 mil. dollar restaurants is insane, but I will give Mario a break and wish him the best, though you will only see me in there after I win the lottery!

19. aprilb

aprilb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I would be willing to bet good money that if I made the EXACT same item NObody would give the DESCRIPTION of it a sniff for that price.

So is it food or is it image? (Memorex?)

We are only limited by ingredients and imagination. You can mix and match any way you like (trout ice cream...? uuuuhhhhgh). Call it what you like, it's STILL just a combination of ingredients and while it seems limitless there IS a limit to the combinations you can present. Meat cooks in a specific way, sauces, rubs, marinades, ... the only edge...reputation and celebrity status.

Do people like Batalli depend on reputation? Of friggin COURSE they do. There is no way I'd invest in a 12M restaurant in Manhattan even if I had it. The numbers just don't add up.

Are there people that will spend that amount of money? Absolutely. Just look at the housing costs in NY...but not for the food, for the reputation. Look at me, I'm spending enormous amounts of money on something that I can get just as good someplace else for 1/8th as much, JUST BECAUSE I HAVE THE MONEY.

It seems way too pretentious an endeavor to me rather than presenting great food.

I suppose we'll all see what happens after the 'NEW' wears off?

Don't get me wrong. I wish Batalli and his partner well in this venture. I wish I could do the same thing and pull it off. I'm just looking at the overall picture and have this great big question mark over my head. Why?

In my humble opinion...
    April

20. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    April what you said reminds me of another reason that I do appreciate Mario in the same way that I do Rick Bayless. With Rick you get dishes that represent in many ways the heart of deep Mexican Cooking. With Mario in many ways you get the heart of deep Italian cooking. With Rick you'll get recipes from parts of Mexico you never knew existed. A far cry from Tacos and Burritos. With Mario you get foods from parts of Italy you never knew existed. A far cry from Spaghetti and meatballs. Not that there's anything wrong with those items, but there is so much more that most of us have never heard of and people like Mario and Rick help bring it to us. The main difference is that Rick brings it to more of us :D not quite so $$$$$