Chef Forum banner

The January 2018 Challenge is...

10K views 70 replies 20 participants last post by  kaiquekuisine 
#1 · (Edited)
So guys as promised the first Challenge of the year is here. I chose this ingredient simply because I love it. I´m addicted to it, I consume it daily.
It also has yet to be featured as a challenge ingredient.

A side from being a cook, my family produces and exports this ingredient, my country (Brazil) is one of the worlds largest producers and exports it.
You may see it a lot in desserts or sauce work, its bitter, its dark, and we probably have it every morning, it´s.... COFFEE!!

Coffee may be tricky, but it isnt just a drink. It can be used as a rub, in a sauce, it can be infused into dishes in a really creative way, it´s also quite often seen in desserts. I really want to see versatility with coffee. It´s one of my food passions, and since I cant start my morning without it, well I just had to start off my year with it too, as well as the first challenge of the year.

I have a really big passion for this ingredient, I do gigs at a cafe, I spend hundreds of bucks a year on coffee. I produce small quantities of this treasure, and follow the market as well, so to me it was a pretty easy decision on what I would choose for this challenge.

For newcomers the guidelines are on this link... https://cheftalk.com/threads/monthly-cooking-challenge-guidelines.92248/

Tableware Espressino Wiener melange Flat white Cortado

So let´s start off the month with some fun and coffee.
I declare that the challenge has begun!!

See less See more
1 1
#14 ·
I've got a few ideas - coffee and meat and I can see working a treat. Beans seem a good idea - I'm thinking on those lines. Desserts are easy and I have lots of ideas. But fish/seafood doesn't seem to go with coffee.... could that ever possibly work? I have an idea percolating...:)

Its certainly an interesting challenge!

#20 ·
Here ... I'll kick it off ...

... TiraMisu

My cheese mix uses ordinary mascarpone w/ half as much very dry ricotta and heavy whipped cream. That way is not so diabetes inducing. Into that goes a good few drops of almond or hazelnut oil and oil of coffee. Along with that is a cup of confectioner's sugar. I blitz this up real nice in a stand mixer. Where I shop there are two(2) types of ladyfingers; soft and crunchy. I used both and combinations ... I think I like the crunchy best. A trick for assembly is to touch the bottom of each end so they stick to the plate and not move on you. Layers is up to you; I like two(2) or three(3) depending on my attitude, number of servings and who is paying. The coffee mix is 50% really freakin' strong coffee and 25% coffee liquor and butterscotch schnapps. Assembly is ladyfinger, coffee juice, cheese ... repeat. The cheese mix is added by squeezing nice lines from the famous zippy-bag w/ cut off corner. On the top layer after the cheese a nice skim of whipped cream goes on then a dusting of powdered cocoa mixed w/ some confectioner's sugar. You can go strait cocoa if you like. Enjoy.

Food Dishware Tableware Ingredient Cake
Food Tableware Cake Dishware Ingredient

#22 ·
Well, I'm still looking for a dessert for this weekend and I guess will be something coffee related!

I wanted to make an oranges zabaione since I did it in the past and turned out tasty, and I also think cold brewed coffee and orange are flavors that can work together, so I guess I'm gonna experiment in that path...

First things first, make some cold brewed coffee, starting tonight!

#27 ·
Well, I'm still looking for a dessert for this weekend and I guess will be something coffee related!

I wanted to make an oranges zabaione since I did it in the past and turned out tasty, and I also think cold brewed coffee and orange are flavors that can work together, so I guess I'm gonna experiment in that path...

First things first, make some cold brewed coffee, starting tonight!
Yeah orange and cold brew do go pretty well together. The orange doesn´t overpower the coffee and vise versa. Also cheese and other milk based products seem to pair well with coffee as well.

#25 · (Edited)
Beef and Bean Chili

I pulled out The Flavor Bible and garlic, onion, and tomato are not listed with coffee. Well, lets see, bourbon, chocolate, cinnamon, cloves, star anise. Sounds like they might work. The meat would need onion and garlic I think, but i'll try without a heavy tomato component. Maybe just a little tomato paste in the base.

I chopped and seeded ancho, gaujillo, and arbol chili and heated them in a heavy pan for several minutes, then added beef stock and simmered until the chili's were very soft. I bloomed and ground the spices and blended them with fresh ground coffee, the chili's mixture, garlic, unsweetened chocolate, soy sauce, tomato paste and an anchovy adding enough stock to make a nice paste.

I browned 2" pieces of beef chuck and reserved most of the fat. Then I sautéed chopped onion and when soft added bourbon and cooked off the alcohol. I added the chili, coffee, and spice mixture and cooked for a moment, then added the browned beef, soaked kidney beans, mexican oregano, and more beef stock. About half way through the cooking the flavor wasn't quite right so I added ground cumin seed. When the beef was done and the beans tender I removed the beef, and chopped it, removing any remaining fat chunks. It needed a little sweetness so I added a touch of honey. Before serving I finished with a little balsamic vinegar.

Mrs Hank was pleased, which is always the point :) The flavors were rich and complex with nothing overwhelming.

Food Bean Ingredient Recipe Cuisine

Food Tableware Dishware Sliced bread Recipe

#30 ·
Beef and Bean Chili
I browned 2" pieces of beef chuck and reserved most of the fat. Then I sautéed chopped onion and when soft added bourbon and cooked off the alcohol. I added the chili, coffee, and spice mixture and cooked for a moment, then added the browned beef, soaked kidney beans, mexican oregano, and more beef stock. About half way through the cooking the flavor wasn't quite right so I added ground cumin seed. When the beef was done and the beans tender I removed the beef, and chopped it, removing any remaining fat chunks. It needed a little sweetness so I added a touch of honey. Before serving I finished with a little balsamic vinegar.
You beat me to it on this - I was working on the lines of chilli too. It looks gorgeous. But there must be room for more than one chilli in the challenge! First though, I am in experimental mode and have a fishy idea. :eek::)

#31 · (Edited)
Coffee and potatoes? http://www.foodandwine.com/news/does-coffee-pair-potatoes-science-thinks-so

Maybe somebody will want to kick this around. I used coffee butter on potatoes as a side last night and it was ok, post to follow.

update: I just pulled out the leftover potatoes and coffee butter and tasted just the potato meat (pulp?) with the butter. I think the flavors compliment well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.