The January 2018 Challenge is...

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kaiquekuisine, Jan 1, 2018.

1. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Certainly looks like a pork loin roast. And looks tasty!

mjb.

2. It'sGoat

It'sGoat

Exp:
    Sous Chef, line cook, prep monkey.
    Looks really good, never thought of chocolate and pork before.

3. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    An interesting combo indeed @Friend_of_Epicurius

Were down to the last 2 lingering days of the challenge. Let´s see if anyone else has a few more dishes up their sleeve?!

4. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Okay, I previously posted a pork and coffee dish, now we have a beef and coffee dish.

The Players

20180123_202817.jpg

20180123_203004.jpg

For the spices, obviously coffee beans, the plate has paprika, black pepper, kosher salt, garlic powder, chile powder, minced dry onion, cumin and raw sugar. The brown pile in the center is ground allspice. The brisket is about a 4 pound hunk of the flat.

We are also going to have a sauce.

20180126_191424.jpg
    I keep thinking I should stop using ketchup as a base, since most these days are tomato flavored high fructose corn syrup.

The Procedure

So first off, prep the brisket. Grind the coffee, mix all the stuff together and apply to the beef. It was then tucked into a vacuum bag and sealed.

20180123_204553.jpg

It spent the night in the fridge, the next day into a 135 F sous vide bath for 50 hours. This is not something I've done with brisket before, so a bit worried, hoping it will turn out.

20180124_141609.jpg

Okay, the allotted time is up, the brisket pulled out of the bag, juices poured into a cup. You saw that cup earlier in the sauce ingredients picture.

20180126_174851.jpg

A chimney of charcoal gets started, put into the smoker along with some hickory. Brisket goes in for about 4 hours at 225 - 250 F.

Meanwhile the sauce gets started. First, sweat the onion and garlic.

20180126_192459.jpg

And then everyone into the pool, simmering over low heat for a while.

20180126_201843.jpg

Hit it with the stick blender for a bit, looking to make it just a little bit less chunky. The coffee flavored juice from the cooking bag wasn't quite enough flavor, so I added about a half teaspoon of instant espesso powder to kick it up a bit.

The Product

Wow! The texture is a bit different than doing a low and slow smoke over wood, but quite tasty! But the four hours the cooked brisket spent smoking imparted some good flavor. And look how juicy that meat is!

20180126_201720.jpg

No picture of the plating, served some slices with the sauce and a side of black eye peas. Next day a nice sandwich, with red onion, sweet heat pickles and sauce.

20180128_134131.jpg

I will certainly be making use of sous vide for smaller hunks of brisket, no way a full packer will fit in my little cooker.

mjb.

ps: I had planned to also do a 'pollo con mole de cafe' but most likely will not get it done in time. Oh well.

5. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    As an addendum to the coffee rubber beef brisket, I got the idea it would make a good bowl of chile.

20180130_172550.jpg

20180130_195206.jpg

20180130_201050.jpg

Should be done soon.

mjb.

It'sGoat, Iceman and fatcook like this.
  6. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Pork loin chop with coffee wild mushroom sauce.

I soaked dried wild mushrooms in freshly brewed coffee (not expresso) for 30 mins them strained and reserved the liquor. The pork was marinaded overnight in Marsala. The shallots and garlic cloves were fried in butter until slightly golden and then poached in chicken stock in a shallow pan until tender.

I used some of the Marsala marinade plus strained coffee mushroom liquor to cook the dried mushrooms. Then I reduced the liquor. Portobellini mushrooms were cooked in butter, the pork then pan fried.

Well - I can say that dried mushrooms soaked in coffee is a wonderful thing. I would never have thought of doing this if it weren't for this challenge, so thank you kaiquekuisine!

fullsizeoutput_2a89.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  7. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I am very impressed with the entries this month and looking forward to see who wins and what the next challenge is.
    Sorry for my lack of input this month, but I was on holiday :cool::)

8. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Woohoo 2 last entries before the ending of the challenge this month.

I loved how so many participated and incorparted such a unique ingredient like coffee into their dishes. It was a wild month and I loved seeing and imaging all these dishes.

For me the best dish was a dish that was really creative, unique, it was savory, and I really wished I could try it.

But before that shoutouts to:

@iceman That Tirsamisu looked lovely, one of the few desserts we actually saw this challenge, oddly enough.
    @hank The chilli and those ribs, great ways of using coffee in a savory dish.
    @teamfat The use of coffee in a savory dish wish some asian ingredients... yum!
    @cheflayne Can I get me the recipe for that bernaise.

So many great and creative dishes all around, and I´m so happy to have had so many people participating and using an ingredient that i love. But if there is someone who did something out of the box (actually she didn´t even step into the box) would have to be @morning glory .

So congrats @morning glory!! Using coffee with scallops was really unpredictable, and the plating of the dish was lovely. It was a dish that I would have loved to indulged in, and I have to commend you for using coffee with scallops, something not obvious at all.

THANK YOU ALL ONCE AGAIN, AND I HOPE EVERYONE HAD A GOOD CUP OF JOE THIS MORNING TO START THE DAY!!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    drirene likes this.
  9. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Wow! I didn't see that coming as the competition was so great with some amazing recipes. I learned a lot from this Challenge! I will put my thinking cap on for the next theme. BTW, I'm a she not a he @kaiquekuisine! :)

10. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Definitely some impressive dishes this month! Good work, everybody.

mjb.

11. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    @morning glory Lol, sorry about that, duely noted and edited on the last post. Can´t wait to see what you come up with!!

morning glory likes this.