The January 2018 Challenge is...

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kaiquekuisine, Jan 1, 2018.

1. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    THANK YOU Hank for showing your ribs ... that I know are NOT burnt ... but still do look kinda burnt. I have stuff like that lots of times (maybe it's just in the pics) that I've got to be telling every freakin' expert in the world ... "NO ... It's NOT burnt!".

Please explain that side on the left of the pic please. TIA.

2. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I did a red cooked pork belly for a challenge before. This time it is red cooked pork, coffee flavor.

The Players

20180113_221744.jpg
    Of course a slab of pork belly. Seasonings for this stage are soy sauce, shou xing wine ( Chinese sherry ) garlic, star anise and some espresso powder.

20180114_185257.jpg

Later on rock sugar, eggs, and fried tofu come into play.

The Procedure

20180113_224457.jpg

The belly is blanched for about 5 minutes then cooled and drained on a rack.

20180113_225132.jpg

20180113_234720.jpg
    About a quarter cup sherry and a quarter cup soy sauce are mixed, and the espresso [ There is no X in espresso ] powder gets blended in. I just kept adding small amounts of it until the mix had a good, strong coffee flavor, probably about 3 tablespoons. The cooled pork, cut into chunks, went into a plastic bag with the coffee mix, 5 star anise and 4 smooshed cloves ( or toes ) of garlic. Into the fridge overnight. The bag got massaged a few times during the course of the day.

First into the wok was some of the rock sugar.

20180114_185745.jpg

Okay, I didn't actually leave this big chunks in, I did smash put them into a bag and smash them into smaller bits. It could have taken all night to get that big hunk to melt down. So the crushed sugar sits over medium heat for some time, melting and starting to turn into a nice amber colored syrup. Meanwhile the pork is draining, the marinade is strained. The pork goes into the wok with the sugar for about 10 minutes to brown.

20180114_200837.jpg

The strained marinade goes into the mix, the heat is turned down and the mix simmers. covered, for about an hour or so, getting stirred every now and again to keep the sugar from burning on the bottom, a little water added here and there to keep it from getting too dry. Meanwhile the eggs are hard cooked, cooled and peeled, then lightly scored to allow the sauce to penetrate a bit. The deep fried tofu chunks are cut into bite sized pieces. Then everybody into the pool.

20180114_212313.jpg

A taste test shows that a fair bit of the coffee flavor has been lost. I spoon about half a cup of the sauce and stir some more of the espresso powder into it. Quite a bit more actually, then back into the pot.
    Getting close.

The Product

20180114_215116.jpg

It is rich. It is dark. It is sweet from the sugar, bitter from the coffee. I'm not complaining.

mjb.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  3. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    @teamfat

Lovely, and i love how people are not going the traditional sweet route with coffee.

Definitely wish i could get a taste of that pork belly xD

jane nair likes this.
  4. brulo

brulo

Exp:
    Cooking School
    Shame on me, I took the infamous sweet approach! :p

1.jpeg

2.jpeg
    Brownie with Port Wine and orange zabaione topped with almond and coffee beans praliné.

I've manage to put coffee, chocolate and oranges together, add a little booze and what could go wrong? Spoiler alert, nothing went wrong! :D

Also, consider it's summer here, with temperatures around 36C it's difficult to think of comforting heavy dishes.

hank, peachcreek and iceman like this.
  5. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That looks like everything I would expect from the title of the dish. Lovely!

6. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    This looks good. I'd never have thought of the orange zabagioni with coffee.:)

7. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    English muffin with smoked applewood bacon, poached eggs, and topped with a coffee bernaise.
    baby rainbow carrots that were roasted on a bed of roasted coffee beans
    sweet potato hash browns seasoned with ground coffee beans, black pepper, and cinnamon sautéed in the applewood bacon fat

For the bernaise I made some coffee vinegar. I brought rice wine vinegar up to a simmer and poured it over some ground roasted coffee and let it steep overnight. The next day I strained it, added some carrot juice, carrot tops, shallots, and cracked black pepper. Reduced au sec, strained, and used as my bernaise base. When I made the bernaise, I made sure to make a stiff sabayon before adding the butter, because that way I could thin it with drizzles of brewed coffee. Finished with fresh chopped carrot tops.

hank, iceman and peachcreek like this.
  8. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Iceman, the ribs definitely are not burnt as you say. Just before serving I fired up the gas grill, sauced the ribs and caramelized the sauce. The colors are a little off there, as in the side dish you asked about. It is smashed red potatoes with coffee butter. Maybe yellow potatoes would have been a better choice, and the problem with coffee butter is you start with yellow butter, mix in black coffee and end up with a product the color "baby s*** brown" (thats a real color, it used to be in the 64 crayon Crayola box)

9. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    What a brilliant idea!

10. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Chefs never burn. They may over carmelize, though.

mjb.

11. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Less then 10 days till the end of the challenge!! Lets see some more dishes with coffee!! Great dishes so far, and I presume a few more great ones to come!!

12. Jet1wa1

Jet1wa1

Exp:
    Trade Butcher fledgling apprentice chef
    Currently soaking cherrywood chips in an espresso bath to smoke either brisket, ribs or whatever my old boss has available this weekend

13. Jet1wa1

Jet1wa1

Exp:
    Trade Butcher fledgling apprentice chef
    Coffee goes well with beef, either soak some steak in it or use as a dry rub

jane nair likes this.
  14. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I've been busy experimenting. At least one more dish is 'percolating', possibly two. :)

15. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    @jane nair I bet a beef brisket would work well in such a red cooked dish, it would need a few more hours of braise time, but could end up quite tasty.

For those of you needing some inspiration, this badly produced video may offer some ideas.

mjb.

16. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    coffee.jpg
    By the way I have a beef based dish currently in the works, planning a chicken one as well. We'll see if I manage to get them done in time.

mjb.

17. bigmickel

bigmickel

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I made a coffee dish with chicken but I can’t figure out how to post a picture from my phone!

It was super good, it was coffee breaded chicken drums with confit cherry tomatoes, sweet potato chips, and red eye gravy.

18. It'sGoat

It'sGoat

Exp:
    Sous Chef, line cook, prep monkey.
    A new Challenger appears!!!!!

After seeing all these entries I'm more excited for whatever February has to offer, this is the first time I've ever competed in anything food-related. I feel like these challenges are going to push me into exploring a lot of new territory and ingredients.

Here is my entry, espresso/tiramisu shake!
    Coffee Shake.jpg

I made this with all natural Vanilla bean ice cream, blended with with a packet of Starbucks dark french roast instant coffee. The glass was frozen and decorated with Callebaut chocolate and sprinkles for some flair, and topped with crushed Chocolate-covered espresso beans. It doesn't really come through in the picture, but there is a layer of mascarpone cream in the center.
    Finally some chocolate wafer straws for drinking and a ladyfinger to complete the tiramisu theme.
    I was worried that the vanilla would hide the coffee flavor, and figured a dark roast would be bold enough to retain it's presence among all the cream and sugar. I also chose instant coffee to avoid any graininess from a regular sized grind.

This turned out so well that we are now serving it as our seasonal shake until valentines rolls around :)

19. bigmickel

bigmickel

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Oh shit that looks and sounds amazing!!! I’m a big sweet tooth guy and I would devour that no question.

20. Friend_of_Epicurius

Friend_of_Epicurius

Exp:
    Hobby
    While I am not the best picture taker this experiment turned out very well. and I am happy with it, I tool a strip of pork not sure what it was cause it was in Russian kinda looked like a pork loin 95% on that's what it is.

anyway cut it into one big flat piece seasoned the inside with salt and pepper, the outside with a coffee, brown sugar and chilli rub,

stuffed with bell peppers and aged English cheddar. The sauce is a port chocolate wine sauce. the pork came out great esp the spicy brown sugar coffee bark and the tender meat inside. (could have taken out sooner so make it more juicy)
    but the sauce is where i could have done better the chocholate flavor was more pronounced than I had intended overpowering some of the other spices and flavors in the sauce.
    Overall tho it was a great concept I plan to refine in the future, any advice would be greatly appreciated. 27480029_10160003025950327_1623937716_o.jpg 27479659_10160003025175327_1635314532_o.jpg 27479628_10160003026315327_152774903_o.jpg