The January 2018 Challenge is...

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kaiquekuisine, Jan 1, 2018.

1. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    So far Iceman in the lead to win this challenge lol.
    I love tiramisu by the way, it´s also one of my mothers favorite desserts.

2. brulo

brulo

Exp:
    Cooking School
    Well, I'm still looking for a dessert for this weekend and I guess will be something coffee related!

I wanted to make an oranges zabaione since I did it in the past and turned out tasty, and I also think cold brewed coffee and orange are flavors that can work together, so I guess I'm gonna experiment in that path...

First things first, make some cold brewed coffee, starting tonight!

iceman likes this.
  3. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Dark chocolate teams up very well w/ oranges and coffee.

4. brulo

brulo

Exp:
    Cooking School
    OH yes they do! I'm imagining something like 80% chocolate... Mmm tasty

iceman likes this.
  5. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Beef and Bean Chili

I pulled out The Flavor Bible and garlic, onion, and tomato are not listed with coffee. Well, lets see, bourbon, chocolate, cinnamon, cloves, star anise. Sounds like they might work. The meat would need onion and garlic I think, but i'll try without a heavy tomato component. Maybe just a little tomato paste in the base.

I chopped and seeded ancho, gaujillo, and arbol chili and heated them in a heavy pan for several minutes, then added beef stock and simmered until the chili's were very soft. I bloomed and ground the spices and blended them with fresh ground coffee, the chili's mixture, garlic, unsweetened chocolate, soy sauce, tomato paste and an anchovy adding enough stock to make a nice paste.

I browned 2" pieces of beef chuck and reserved most of the fat. Then I sautéed chopped onion and when soft added bourbon and cooked off the alcohol. I added the chili, coffee, and spice mixture and cooked for a moment, then added the browned beef, soaked kidney beans, mexican oregano, and more beef stock. About half way through the cooking the flavor wasn't quite right so I added ground cumin seed. When the beef was done and the beans tender I removed the beef, and chopped it, removing any remaining fat chunks. It needed a little sweetness so I added a touch of honey. Before serving I finished with a little balsamic vinegar.

Mrs Hank was pleased, which is always the point :) The flavors were rich and complex with nothing overwhelming.

IMG_4877.JPG

IMG_4882.JPG

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    linecookliz, chefwriter and iceman like this.
  6. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    And that looks like a nice hunk of cornbread to go with.

7. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Yeah orange and cold brew do go pretty well together. The orange doesn´t overpower the coffee and vise versa. Also cheese and other milk based products seem to pair well with coffee as well.

8. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    The chilli and cornbread look delightful @hank

9. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks all. Full disclosure: the corn bread was frozen from a couple weeks ago :)

morning glory likes this.
  10. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You beat me to it on this - I was working on the lines of chilli too. It looks gorgeous. But there must be room for more than one chilli in the challenge! First though, I am in experimental mode and have a fishy idea. :eek::)

linecookliz likes this.
  11. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Coffee and potatoes? http://www.foodandwine.com/news/does-coffee-pair-potatoes-science-thinks-so

Maybe somebody will want to kick this around. I used coffee butter on potatoes as a side last night and it was ok, post to follow.

update: I just pulled out the leftover potatoes and coffee butter and tasted just the potato meat (pulp?) with the butter. I think the flavors compliment well.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  12. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Coffee rubbed ribs, coffee BBQ sauce, and coffee butter on smashed potatoes. No coffee in the coleslaw (proof I'm not crazy)

I used a recipe from Serious Eats for the ribs. The coffee came through maybe a little much on the ribs, owing I think to what seemed like too much rub as I was doing it. I added coffee to BBQ sauce I had frozen at the end of the summer at a 1:2 ratio and cooked it down. Coffee butter was a trick. The recipe said to whisk cold strong coffee into softened butter. Since obv oil and water don't mix it was difficult to incorporate. I got about 2/3 of the coffee into the butter before giving up. At that point there was plenty of coffee flavor to my taste.

IMAG0213.jpg IMG_4910.JPG IMG_4912.JPG

13. harpua

harpua

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
  14. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I don't know if any mugs remain from that very old order any more. PM @nicko for more information.

15. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    "Coffee butter was a trick."

That's why they make blenders. Start with a cup of coffee in the blender w/ a tblspn. of butter. Get that boy going slowly and add more butter until you're happy.

16. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Fascinated by this - I will give it a whirl! Perhaps other root veg might party with coffee? Like Jerusalem artichokes perhaps....:)

17. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Here is my fishy entry - Scallops with Jerusalem Artichoke Veloutée and Coffee, Black Cardamom and Walnut Crumb. I served this to two 'victims' without telling them there was coffee in the dish. They both liked it and couldn't quite work out what it was. I reckon that the slightly bitter taste of the coffee works well with the sweet scallop and earthy artichoke.

20180112_142405.jpg

Here with a few dribbles of truffle oil:

20180112_142614.jpg

18. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Well done mg. Creative and a lovely presentation.

19. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
  20. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Alrighty so far we´ve reached the halfway point for this challenge.
    Hope to see some more submissions, feel free to get risky with coffee ya´ll.

harpua likes this.