The issue of Cellular phones in the restaurant

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
I am pretty sure that we have discussed this, but I wanted to revisit this topic as the epedemic of ringing cell phones in the restaurant, movie theatres, and church (I can't believe it) seems to be getting worse! Let me be the first to say that IMHO cell phones should not be allowed to be on in a restaurant unless they have silent notification (vibration). Has anyone had complaints in their restaurant? If so what has been your course of action?

Joined Dec 12, 2000
I haven't heard of alot of problems with cell phones in restaurants here, but I have to admit that the funniest thing I ever witnessed was one saturday morning I was having breakfast at McDonalds with my mom, and we each have cell phones, and there was probably eight other people in the restaurant at the time who had cells as well and everybody got at least two or three calls. The funny part of the story is the fact that there was so many people in Mcdonalds with cell phones.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
The worst for me is being in church and in the middle of prayer time a cell phone is going off. I mean that is just wrong if you ask me. :D

Joined May 29, 1999
Turn them off, no talking on the phone at the table. Anyones mother teach them this???

I hate dining out and having to listen to people chatting loudly.... how about shopping?
"I'm looking at it.......is this......what......WHAT??......No I am not paying that much.......WHAT???... I am at the store NOW.... "

errrr! :mad:

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
I think I have a personal vendeta against cell phone usage which dates back to my first blind date. This girl spent half the night talking on the phone (while we were in a very nice restaurant) with her mother, sister, brother, and a few cousins who all wanted to know how the date was going and if I was a nice Greek boy. Needless to say I couldn't wait for the night to be over, and I never went out with her again.

In all honesty I was actually shocked after the evening that someone would spend that much time on the phone during a first meeting. :D

[ 02-08-2001: Message edited by: Nicko ]

Joined Oct 6, 2001
I have to reply as a cell phone user.

First of all I never leave a cell phone on at church, weddings, special events, seminars, the theatre, etc. I wouldn't dream of doing so on a date! I think that any of the above is considerably rude.

But at any other time -- the cell phone is on. This is due to my type of business -- in this day of instant gratification, if someone can not reach you for a reservation, they go on to the next. People have a tendancy to call at meal times. My operationis not big enough to have a manned front desk 24/7 beyond myself. So if I want a dinner prepared by someone other than me, or if I want to go to the store, I will be connected. Cell phone drivers need to pull to the side of the road to conduct business!

I am also considerate enough that I leave the table and go to a powder room (if they have one sepate from the stall area or outside to conduct business. I don't stay at the table and disrupt my fellow diners. And yes the volume on the ringer is turned down (my next phone will have vibrating capabilities). I do feel that a manager, FOH person does have the right to ask a loud individual to take their business outside if they do need to take the call.

Just a note from the other side,

Lynne

Joined Jan 5, 2001
What made people so darn important all of a sudden that they have to be available 24/7?

I think they are lonely and seek validation through their cells.

Sadly this has set a new standard and in business, many employees are expected to be available all the time. Should you have a device that disactivates cell phones in your restaurant, many business people might accuse you of costing them business, or at best they simply won't come back.

I use my cell as a pager more than anything. I check messages and use it for emergencies only. My privacy, peace and quiet are very important to me. Three highly underrated virtues these days...

Joined Dec 12, 2000
You know, everyone has brought up some very good points about cell phone usage, alot I'd never have even thought of. I also think that it is extremely rude to use a cell phone in church or in a theatre or at a decent restaurant, but I don't think there's anything wrong with using a cell phone in a fast food joint or a grocery store(but not at the check stand), it really depends on the environment. I hope this isn't getting to far off topic Nicko, I just wanted to get my opinion in.

Joined Feb 4, 2001
Cell-phones! We hate 'em. It doesn't stop me owning one but I'm the only one who knows the number.
They are banned in our restaurant and this is printed along the bottom of the menu with the smoking prohibition. We have only had one delinquent(?) and as we have no piped music, everyone had to endure it.
Fast food places etc. I think it really depends on the level of background noise. The more there is, the less the call impacts on other people. And that is really the core of the question.

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Lynne, I'd say you have impeccable cell phone etiquette. Brava! I had a bad experience with a doctor phoning in orders for a patient in a public place where others could hear. That burned me up! What I also can't stand is the number of kids with cell phones. Where do they get the money for these luxuries?? Some of them appear to have phones costing hundreds of dollars. Schools have a dickens of a time getting the kids to leave them at home- or at least in their lockers. I know I'm going to sound like an old fogey, but cell phones seem to me to be an adult privilege, not a right for kids.

Joined Nov 17, 2000
It's really funny to see people walking around the mall (I hate malls!)talking on their phones. Especially the kids--guys with dates who are on the phone. Why do they put up with it?
We have a no-phone rule in our school, but a few parents insist they must have communication with their kids at all times, so ya' know how it goes! Although, that's actually better than having mamma open up the classroom door and just walk right in! That has happened several times to me.
I'm really enjoying visiting right now--I have a student teacher, so I have lots of free time to bother you guys! :D

Joined Oct 6, 2001
Thanks!

I agree about kids and cells--scary--it's the biggest growing market sector (why we're seeing all the commercials about matching your cell to your hair, car, etc.) I think any parent that buys them and all the covers, etc are crazy!!! And they are horrid about talking at the top of their lungs in a public area.

I will tell you my funny cell phone experience: Boerne (pronounced Bernie) is a little german town North of San Antonio. During the summer, the town's oompa band plays on the village square. Everyone in town comes out, the Wurst Queen leads the kids throughout the square waving their German and American flags...the high school band sells homemade icecream and hotdags (although they wrap their dogs in tortillas, not a bun!) blankets and lawn chairs spread out all over -- it's such small town Americana it's great! Anyhow, my phone was on for whatever reason and I get this guy looking for a reservation. I had the availability and left the square to go find a quieter place to take the reservation and answer questions. Got the credit card, etc., and just as we were about to hang up, the guy asks, "Do you always listen to polka?!" The poor guy! I wanted so badly to have a polka CD playing when he arriveed for his romantic weekend...(but I don't own one!) The "hidden danger of background noise when you are talking on a phone! :p

Joined Nov 5, 2000
Hot dogs in tortillas...my friends in Texas do that frequently...was wondering if it was a regional thing...

Anyway, was watching something about cell phone use in Japan..and they've started putting up these "cell phone scramblers" in public places (symphony halls, theaters, etc.) to stop any incoming/outgoing calls...wonder if that will be the next thing here...or am I behind the times...is that already in use?

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
I was having lunch with my father in a small restaurant the other day and a couple walked in. Less then 5 minutes after they sat down his phone rang, for the next 15 minutes he talked on the phone, at that point the woman got up and left. I felt like applauding her.

Joined Jan 3, 2001
I have heard cell phones described as the "cigarettes" of the next decade. Certainly their effect on others is almost as offensive, though perhaps not as unhealthy (and I'm sure that is to be seen). Rude is rude though......stomp on it!!!!

[ 02-10-2001: Message edited by: LoriB ]

Joined Aug 12, 2000
I don't mind that some people do business over their cell phones, and can move around while not losing touch with their customers.

What bothers me is being sucked into someone's private relationships and conversations--and they have nothing whatever to say! When someone has a loud private conversation in a public place, they are making all the people within listening distance into participants. No, I didn't need to be told that you're calling someone from a cell phone. I also would rather not have known how silly and frivolous you are, too.

Joined Jan 5, 2001
I don't especially like cell phones either. But they are here to stay (just like cigarettes, thongs and television sets) so I thought I'd put together a list of positives for you to consider.

#1 It is better to hear one teenager having a loud silly conversation on his cell phone than it is to see a congregation of ten teenagers yammering silly amongst themselves. (Divide and conquer!)

#2 Free entertainment. Come on now, be honest... Aren't we all just a bit voyeuristic? (Hearing other people's conversations makes me feel so much more NORMAL!!)

#3 Isn't it nice to send hubby in the snowstorm to get a movie and still have a say in his selection?

Ok, who's next?

(By the way, about cells in church: these people should be excommunicated!)

Joined Nov 17, 2000
Katherine: Ain't it the truth?! Funny how people think they are so important. It's a mystery. :D

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I do not HATE cell phones. They are just an inanimate object with no tendency towards good or evil. It is the idiots that use these things that I hate. It seems that manners have taken a back seat to convinence, and that drives me nuts. I don't want to listen to someone have a conversation that I am not involved in and only get to hear 1/2 of it. As much as I hate this behavior, the thing I am most concerned about is cell phone use while driving. It has been proven to be dangerous. A friend lost his father to a teenage drive who was busy chatting on her cell phone and didn't see the elderly man crossing the street slowly. She hit him and dragged him 1/2 a block before she realized what had happened. This is not the only case that I have heard, though it is the one that hit closest to home. I watch too many idiots driving, talking on the cell phone and taking notes. Nothing is that important!! Get off the ****ing phone and drive! How did our country survive without pagers, cell phones, answering machines, and ATMs? We survived by showing a little patience.

Joined Jan 11, 2000
I wouldn't have a problem if they were banned from use in cars... I like cell phones, but it's just become way too much. Or on the train... why would I want to be hearing someone else's conversation? I realy don't care!

Top Bottom