Chef Forum banner

The huge Kalbi experiment (Korean short ribs — in the oven now). Crossing fingers.

6K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  french fries 
#1 ·
So I found these two HUGE short ribs at the market. About 2.5 lbs each. Beautiful, meaty cuts from the Charolaise breed; not too fat at all.

Decided to try a Kalbi slow roasting thing. I know, it's not the right shape for that cut, not the right size (at all), not the right marinade, and not the right cooking method. But oh well, I have a good feeling about this.

I shaved a couple of onions super thinly to make a bed in the dish. Then marinated the whooping 5 lbs of beef in dark soy, light soy, Muscovado, way too much garlic, smoked chili flakes, toasted sesame oil, ginger powder and rice vinegar.

Popped in a 250F oven. I have four hours to go before dinner time. Let's see how it turns out.

Food Ingredient Recipe Beef Animal product

See less See more
#9 ·
I don't have a thermometer so I wouldn't know but it looked over more than under? It was mostly roasting, not really braising, I'm sure it would be fine braising but here most of the meat was in contact with air, not water. This is not my first try roasting huge short ribs but I still haven't been able to get the fall off the bone texture I'd like. Maybe it's just not possible, I'm not sure. Still I believe I'll try again. Short ribs are a cheap cut around here.

#10 ·
My guess is they weren't cooked long enough. Even without a braising liquid there should be enough fat rendering in them to make them fall off the bone. I will take leftover ribs from a prime rib and just roast them in my oven until they are fall off the bone as well. I know they are from slightly different parts of the rib but the same principles should apply.

#14 ·
Nexttime you do it try using a Flanken style short rib. If you use this style you could just marinate for about 12 hrs and finish on the BBQ grill while basting then a lot to get a nice deep caramelized look.
I had Kalbi ribs on menu in a Hawaiian restaurant in Hawaii many years ago. What I remember is cooking them on a flame broiler while dipping them in a dark Kalbi sauce and putting back on the grill over and over again. They finished really nice on the flame broiler.
If I were to do the ones you show in your picture I would Marinate for 12 hrs and then Sous Vide for at least 24 to 36 hrs. I would then finish to get a nice dark caramelization on a BBQ grill........The Best........ChefBillyB

Attachments

#16 ·
Nexttime you do it try using a Flanken style short rib. If you use this style you could just marinate for about 12 hrs and finish on the BBQ grill while basting then a lot to get a nice deep caramelized look.
Yes I've done that many times back in the U.S. (and looooved it), and I was trying to get inspired by that. Since flanken style are not available here in France I was trying something else with these huge short ribs.

#19 ·
I watched the video, it was very instructive, thanks @chefbillyb !! What's interesting is, turns out that the thin "flanken style" cut he describes @3:10 as kalbi / traditional korean cut was actually invented... in Los Angeles. The traditional Korean kalbi cut is done by butterflying the short ribs... like this:

#21 ·
Oh yeah I hadn't even looked at the cooking process but I agree with you. The butterflying of the short rib is what caught my attention. Also I suppose I could try it with one of my huge ribs without having to bother my butcher. Surely would make for an interesting looking cut of beef on the grill. But for that I'll have to wait 'til the summer, it's currently 35F outside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.