The Great Marinara Controversy

Joined Jan 2, 2010
i'm from the northeast(NY), and i'm italian. to most italians around here marinara and red sauce are two completely different things, but in a restaurant we always refer to red sauce as marinara, just like most other people. if your italian it's gravy, and carrots+celery are absolutely acceptable. base for an italian sofrito, same as mirepoix. marinara is a litely cooked condement anywhere from nearly raw or 5-20 min. often starting with fresh tomatoes. your grandmothers method is pretty much the same as my mothers(no oregano unless it's fresh), i always put carrot in my gravy to cut the acidity a bit, and would never ever use sugar.

Joined Jan 2, 2010
oh yeah no reason to simmer for very long, maybe 45 min. tops depending on how watery the tomatoes are.

Joined Feb 9, 2010
For me it's usually:
-Brown a few hundred cloves of garlic (crushed), onions, skinned roasted peppers, salt, ground black pep
-Add diced tomatoes (no seeds, no skin usually, but changes on how much health benefit I want), basil, oregano, bay leaves
-Simmer for 45 minutes
-Add sugar
-Simmer for another half hour
-And then at the very end right before serving I do this, which will probably give a few of you a heart-attack for multiple reasons--I add about half a Tsb of mayo per serving of sauce.
Mmm nom nom nom.

Edit: Oh I forgot to mention, if I'm making it especially spicy with some crush red peps, I like to make my marinara thinner with more tomato juice. I don't know why, but thin spicy marinara reminds me of better days long since passed...

Joined Feb 26, 2007
Not a pro - but a question pops up in my mind (forgive me butting into a pro forum....)

How come almost no-one was taught by their mothers how to cook? (Or so it seems by the comments? I never got to know either grandmother) Most everyone is quoting their grandmother's recipes. (which sound great - I love the slow cook 3 to 4 hours, personally, but if time does not allow, then it can be as short as 20 mins).

Again, sorry for posting in here. 'Tis a fascinating thread....

Joined Mar 2, 2009
I was taught to cook by my mother at age 9 out of necessity! She had the German Measles and my father worked 2 jobs and being the my grandparents had never had the measles, they couldn't come into the house. So, I had to cook for the family with instructions from mom's bed!

I made roast beef and mashed potatoes, sauce or gravy for pasta and a number of other things.

50 years later, I'm still cooking and loving it more each time I hit the kitchen so the recipes were from Mom via my grandparents I'm sure...

Top Bottom