The February 2018 Challenge is 'Chinese'.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by morning glory, Feb 1, 2018.

1. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Chow means stir fry.

2. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Okay, I was thinking it was a bad autocorrection of 'chopped' but that didn't make sense.

mjb.

3. drirene

drirene

Exp:
    At home wannabe pastry chef
    That's not bad teamfat. I thought it meant pre-chewed. Ugh.

4. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    @drirene : I thought so too :eek:

Last one:
    This was supposed to be made with Chinese cabbage, but I thought spinach would be a reasonable substitute:

Bacon, garlic and onions
    02 ingredients.jpg

I started with a cold wok to fry the bacon (this is again another wok. This one was bought from an Indian shop and I've had it for ages)
    03 frying bacon from cold.jpg

Added garlic and onions
    04 with garlic and onion.jpg
    And spinach, szechuan pepper, dried chili's and later some rice wine
    05 added spinach and spices.jpg
    And I was going to eat it as is with some rice, so took a bite to check seasoning and remembered how hot those little red chili peppers were:(
    I used way too many....
    So I ended up with..... 06 and mielies tomato and egg as i put too many chilis.jpg

A probably no longer very Chinese dish that had sweetcorn, tomato and egg added to dilute the heat (I had no more spinach)
    Still very tasty....

5. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    A big thanks to everyone who participated in the challenge. I was quite overwhelmed by the wealth of dishes and approaches! Here are some highlights:

phatch 's Hot pot with a veritable cornucopia of ingredients! The whole spread included: Beef, Lamb, Pork, Potato, Lotus Root, Tofu, Bean Curd Skin, Mushrooms, Shrimp, Cauliflower, Zuchinni, Choy Sum, Boiled Eggs, Beef Tendon Balls, and Chicken Gizzards!

@phatch also presented Clay Pot Rice which looked delicious…. and seaweed soup. I adore seaweed and have several dried specimens in the store cupboard. And then there were Scallion Pancakes made from scratch which had me wanting to try them out.…and Hot and sour soup - a neat recipe!

butzy 's Black bean beef with steamed rice and a fried egg. If you put a runny egg on almost anything, I’m seduced. Add fermented black beans and I’m sold.

Then a lovely Char Siu which had me salivating. Next some home-made Szechuan bacon! I am always impressed by home curing and really didn’t expect to find this in a Chinese food thread. Great stuff!

mike9 's Deliciously simple chicken stir-fry.

planethoff 's Chicken Lo Mein: A delightful noodle dish packed with flavour.

millionsknives 's visually beautiful Cantonese style scallion ginger crawfish.

hank 's lovely series of dishes including char siu and sticky rice in lotus leaf. A beautiful spread!
    @hank also presented eggplant with tofu in garlic sauce and Szechuan Fish Soup. I wanted some of that soup very much when I saw the final photo!

teamfat 's deep fried tofu in black bean garlic sauce. I loved this and have made it since. It was very delicious.

@teamfat 's salted fish and chicken fried rice. I’ve never come across this before. A fascinating combination which I’d like to try.

yeller 's Beef Sno Peas and Broccoli Stir Fry with Hot & Sour Soup and Egg Roll. A very pretty presentation which looked scrumptious!

I shortlisted down to three: @phatch, @butzy and @hank - I would like to say they are all winners! But in the end I've decided to go with @butzy - the home cured bacon swung it. Congratulations @butzy! Over to you...

kaneohegirlinaz likes this.
  6. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    WOW,
    I didn't see that one coming :cool:

I really liked all entries to this challenge and there are a lot of them I want to try.
    Chinese is not normally the flavour I go for, which is why I like these challenges.
    It broadens your horizon :)

@morning glory : Thanks for being such an awesome host (as usual).

I am going to put on my thinking cap for March's challenge

drirene likes this.
  7. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    Congratulations @butzy ! Well done. Looking forward to your pick for next month.

@morning glory - Thanks for being a great host :)

8. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Well done butzy. I'm looking forward to what you come up with for March. Congratulations!

9. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Lots of great looking dishes in this challenge. And congrats to @butzy

10. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    It was a fun challenge. Good job from all.

11. yeller

yeller

Exp:
    Other
    Impressive dish butzy.. great work to all

12. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Glad you liked it, wish the restaurant that did it so well was still in business. So it goes. This was a fun challenge, I enjoyed it. It got me trying to make a new dish and get some new equipment. Good work, thanks to all who participated.

mjb.

morning glory likes this.
  13. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I should have posted a photo but it was late at night.... ​

14. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Congrats @butzy , a well deserving new hostess, for sure!
    and to @morning glory again a gracious hostess.
    Everyone's dishes were fabulous (like there was any doubt in that), @teamfat , mjb you had me with the tofu, love that!

morning glory likes this.