The February 2018 Challenge is 'Chinese'.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by morning glory, Feb 1, 2018.

1. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Now given that I cook a lot of tofu (son is vegan) you would think I had tried deep fried tofu! But no. So - I have all the ingredients and I'm going to cook this in the next few days. I haven't used fermented black beans in ages.

2. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    They came in a package of 25 or 30 and I have a lot left. I'd be glad to mail you some. Seriously. PM me you address if you want.

morning glory likes this.
  3. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Eggplant with Tofu in Garlic Sauce

Steamed eggplant until tender.

IMG_0327.JPG

Seasoned the oil with garlic cloves and discarded.

IMG_0333.JPG

Chowed sliced garlic and sliced white part of scallions.

IMG_0336.JPG

Added a sauce of rice vinegar, chinese wine, light soy sauce, brown sugar, fermented broad bean chili paste, sesame oil, brown sugar, and corn starch.

IMG_0345.JPG

Tossed in the steamed eggplant, topped with tofu and garnished with the green part of the scallions and cilantro.

IMG_0348.JPG

morning glory, teamfat and butzy like this.
  4. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    @hank : looks like you are running away with this one!
    Great entries!!!!

morning glory likes this.
  5. yeller

yeller

Exp:
    Other
    Entry In :
    Beef Sno Peas and Broccoli Stir Fry with Hot & Sour Soup and Egg Roll. We had a couple of guests for dinner..as you can see they ate well..
    For the beef I screwed up and took stew meat instead of stir fry meat. Added sesame oil with Shaohsing then tossed in oyster Soy and Hoisen. I need more sauce and cornstarch to thicken. The H&S is chicken stock rice wine vinegar and chili garlic..so good. Had to use Bellas since Wood or Shiitake were not avail. Egg Roll was ground pork with shredded cabbage etc..
    20180224_174143.jpg 20180224_172814.jpg 20180224_174814.jpg

morning glory and phatch like this.
  6. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    @butzy I have no idea the amounts but I use
    -red fermented bean curd
    -dark soy
    -light soy
    -honey
    -five spice

You can put hoisin in too. 4 salty ingredients is a bit much for me. To balance out the salt I use more honey than the other 3 things combined.

butzy likes this.
  7. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Hand pulled noodle. chili oil and vinegar, cumin, cilantro, raw garlic

[​IMG]

butzy and kaneohegirlinaz like this.
  8. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That is so nice! I would love that - but is it permitted by customs, I wonder? :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  9. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I like this very much. Its simple and elegant and great step by step photos.

10. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That is very lovely @millionsknives. Home-made noodles! And simple (I like simple).

11. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Scrumptious! The Egg Roll looks lovely. I think your guests did indeed eat well.

12. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks Butzy, but I must demur. I will be in Peru the last two weeks of March so I cannot be an effective host if I were to win. Please do not consider me morning glory.

13. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I was hoping to do a remake of this, like the one I did in the Vegan challenge, and this time making use of the preserved black beans I now have on hand. Probably will not get to it by the end of the month, shucks.

Certainly some good looking and most likely great tasting entries this month!

mjb.

14. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    But I have to! I can't not consider you @hank! Lucky you to be in Peru...

15. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Ah, we are approaching the end of the month and I have so many things I still want to do.....
    One is still to come. Tonight's dinner :)
    @morning glory : I think you are in almost the same time zone as me (2 hours difference, if I am not mistaken). When is your cut-off time?

16. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Well, I always think I should go by Pacific Time as the majority (although not all) members are in the USA. The USA seems to have 4 different time zones but Pacific time is the most 'behind' GMT (8 hrs behind). So I'm regarding the cut off time as 8 am GMT on 1st March (my time) which would be midnight 28th Feb (Pacific Time). Does that seem fair?

I won't log in until 11 am on 1st March (3 am Pacific Time) so that is when I'll announce the winner unless you think differently.

17. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    One more dish, something I rarely see on Chinese menus but is something I like, salted fish and chicken fried rice.

The Players

Here we have some leftover rice, chopped onion, some sesame oil and soy sauce. Front row is a deboned chicken thigh and of course some salted fish. And that egg in the middle is really a hard cooked, salted duck egg.

20180227_213436.jpg

The Procedure

First off the chicken is cut into pieces dusted with cornstarch and marinated with the soy sauce, some sesame oil and some vegetable oil.

20180227_214005.jpg

The salted fish has the fins and tail cut off, skin peeled and is cut into bits. I could have done a better job getting the bones out, a few made their way into the dish.

20180227_220756.jpg

The chicken goes into about a tablespoon of hot oil, stir fried until starting to brown.

20180227_221411.jpg

The chicken is pulled out, a splash more oil and then the onions go in. After they are soft and translucent, the fish goes in and is cooked until fragrant. Interesting aroma, in a good way.

20180227_221744.jpg

Once the fish become fragrant about a quarter cup of rice wine ( sherry ) goes in and gets stirred around until reduced by about half. Then the rice goes in, gets stirred around, then the chicken is returned to the wok, everything cooked together for a couple of minutes.

20180227_222131.jpg

When the frying is done the minced duck egg gets stirred in.

The Product

One place that does serve this dish is The Dim Sum House in downtown Salt Lake.

20180227_222627.jpg

Mine did not taste the same as the Dim Sum's version, but I have a feeling they have cooked it maybe a few hundred more times than I have. Mine had a higher proportion of fish and chicken, which was nice. The duck egg gave a nice contrast in texture. It was salty, but soft, the fish was just as salty, but drier and harder.

Next time I might look for boneless, skinless salted fish fillets. As you might guess from the sparse list of ingredients, this is a very mildly seasoned dish, the primary flavor being that of the fish. I could easily see this as a nice side to some spicy shrimp or clay pot catfish.

I will certainly make this again!

mjb.

ps: Only the second time I've cooked in the new wok, I'm lovin' it. These challenges usually get me to try new dishes, nice this one got me to try new equipment. Maybe I'll even get a wok burner like the one @yeller has in his post.

butzy likes this.
  18. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Szechuan bacon....
    I roughly used the recipe here: https://honest-food.net/sichuan-bacon/, but recalculated everything to metric.
    This again is based on Fuchsia Dunlop's recipe in Sichuan cookery.

I made the brine/cure and had the pork belly (skin on) sitting in it for a week.
    Then took it out and left to dry (uncovered) in the fridge
    02 szechuan drying before smoking.jpg

Moved it to my smoker (that has seen better days)
    03 drying in smoker.jpg

Getting ready to cold smoke.
    The wood:
    It's beech sawdust
    And the little device is a proQ cold smoke generator
    04 beech.jpg 05 proQ filled.jpg

I smoked at night due to temperatures. 2 nights in a row, about 10 hours smoke every night.
    In between, the slab was in the fridge.
    I figured 2 nights to be enough and after that I moved it back to the fridge
    And then:
    BACON :):):)
    08 bacon ready to be used.jpg

morning glory and teamfat like this.
  19. hank

hank

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Szechuan Fish Soup

I chowed some cabbage to soften, followed by bean sprouts and green scallions, and placed them in serving bowls.

IMG_0388.JPG

Then I chowed sliced ginger and garlic, white scallions, and cassia bark.

IMG_0385.JPG

Out goes the bark, in goes ground green szechuan pepper, fermented black soy beans, chili black bean sauce (doubanjiang).

IMG_0393.JPG

Then I added chicken stock and simmered for about 15 minutes.

IMG_0403.JPG

In go the fish, which has been marinating in egg white, corn starch, chinese wine, and salt.

IMG_0411.JPG

When the fish is just done I poured the soup over the vegetables, topped with green szechuan pepper corns and red peppers, and poured hot oil over the top. Then garnished with green onion and sesame seeds.

IMG_0415.JPG

butzy and teamfat like this.
  20. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    What is this 'chowed technique?