The February 2018 Challenge is 'Chinese'.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by morning glory, Feb 1, 2018.

1. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    The 2018 Chinese New Year begins on Friday, February 16, so I thought this would be an appropriate theme. It will be the year of the Dog - but please, no recipes for dog!

Lately I've been experimenting with Chinese dumplings so it would be good to see some Dim Sum entries. But really, there is lots of scope for all kinds of dishes. And don't forget - this judge likes spicy food! I look forward to your entries.

iceman likes this.
  2. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Here are my crab dumplings in chicken broth (first attempt at making Chinese dumplings).

fullsizeoutput_2acb.jpeg

planethoff, kuan, drirene and 2 others like this.
  3. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Good challenge!

4. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Wow. Such a vast and varied cuisine, where do I start? Maybe some red cooked pork belly with a coffee sauce?

mjb.

kaneohegirlinaz likes this.
  5. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It is rather vast, I know! I could narrow it down - but really I just want as many members to take part as possible. Red cooked pork? Oh yes...

6. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Now this will be a fun challenge.

7. automne

automne

Exp:
    Pastry Chef
    I recently bought two Chinese cookbooks because I wanted to try my hand at the cuisine (especially Sichuan). Now's a good time as any.

8. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Which ones? I'm always on the lookout for another good Chinese cookbook.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  9. automne

automne

Exp:
    Pastry Chef
  10. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Those are both good and in my library already. Thanks for sharing.

11. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'm thinking hotpot some time this weekend. Let this video hold you until then.

12. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    ALOHA Y'ALL!!!
    Long time now see...
    MG, love this Challenge, good call.
    I have been getting myself ready for the Lunar New Year and have a few recipes ready to go.
    Some I've made several times, some it's been awhile and others, well not so much, but Chinese food here in Cowboy-ville is sparse.

A very popular festival food in Honolulu anyways,
    is Crispy Gau Gee, basically a deep fried dumpling, yeah ...

005.JPG 004.JPG 015.JPG
    A bit crisp there around the edges, but we did a taste test by steaming a few dumplings
    003.JPG
    ... very tasty indeed!

planethoff, kuan, drirene and 3 others like this.
  13. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I can do this.....
    Gonna be interesting

14. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    For years I've been using this old, flat bottomed non-stick wok. It has seen better days. Perhaps this challenge will be the perfect time for me to go out and buy a real carbon steel wok. Southeast Market is only a couple blocks away ...

mjb.

drirene and morning glory like this.
  15. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    There's really no substitute for a carbon steel wok. I seasoned mine on a day I had the house to myself - LOL.

16. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    I have a cheap Walmart carbon steel flat bottom wok that is basically non-stick from use! Going on 15 years old...

17. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Fire up those woks! There is always the obvious...

fullsizeoutput_2350.jpeg

phatch, butzy, drirene and 1 other person like this.
  18. phatch

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    The Asian Grocer is in full Hot Pot mode. Thin sliced pork, lamb, beef, beef tongue, Waygu, boneless duck or chicken feet, pork belly around the corner....

IMG_20180203_154902878.jpg

Turn around and there is a stack of various hot pot soup bases. The one on the right in Black actually looked interesting. Also not the pots and burners.
    IMG_20180203_154907137.jpg

I'm adapting between Fuchsia Dunlop in Land of Plenty and this Youtube version. I liked the pepper and sichuan pepper from the video.

Here I'm sauteing the dry spices:black pepper corns, sichuan pepper corns, star anise and some red peper flakes. I'm light on the chile as my family is not into brutal heat.

IMG_20180203_162649399.jpg

I similarly adapt the bean sauce with just 2 tablespoon of hot Pixian Doubanjiang and 6 of regular bean sauce. Using straight chile bean sauce is too hot for us. Ginger has been added at this point as well.
    IMG_20180203_162903965.jpg

The Shao Xing Wine, chicken stock, soy sauce and let simmer
    IMG_20180203_164432655.jpg

The whole spread. Beef, Lamb, Pork, Potato, Lotus Root, Tofu, Bean Curd Skin, Mushrooms, Shrimp, Cauliflower, Zuchinni, Choy Sum, Boiled Eggs, Beef Tendon Balls, and Chicken Gizzards
    IMG_20180203_180006014.jpg

I'm using a divided pot because one of my kids has a seafood allergy and we'll just cook the shrimp on one side.

Sauce is some sesame sauce, shacha sauce, soy, sriracha, scallion and cilantro. IMG_20180203_180341106.jpg

Some cauliflower and egg posing in the sauce bath.

IMG_20180203_181145903.jpg

Attached Files:

kuan, morning glory, teamfat and 3 others like this.
  19. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    A favorite item of mine at Chinese restaurants is hot and sour soup. Usually it is neither hot nor sour, but somewhat tasty. Making it at home you can control the hot, you can control the sour.

The Players

20180204_160124.jpg

Along the top row we have some dried wood ear mushrooms, and a single bit of dried lobster mushroom. Forgot I had that one, was thinking I still had some shittakes left, but no. Ginger root, good soy sauce and black vinegar are needed, as is a raw egg to be swirled in at the end. Bottom row has dried chilies, dried lily flowers, pork and tofu. I assume you can tell which is the pork and which is the tofu. Not in the picture are things like cornstarch, chili oil and home made chicken broth.

The Procedure

20180204_160819.jpg

First off, get the dried bits rehydrating in hot water.

20180204_225852.jpg

The pork, which was stashed in the freezer for a bit, gets finely sliced, and marinates with some soy and minced ginger.

20180204_230918.jpg

Meanwhile the chicken broth, soy sauce and vinegar get put into a pot, the dried chilies crumbled on top. Tofu is cubed.

20180204_230116.jpg

The dried veggies are drained, the soaking water from the mushrooms goes in the pot. As do the veggies after some dicing, and the pork along with the marinade.
    20180204_232559.jpg

Brought to a simmer for about 20 minutes. Tofu tossed in, simmer another 5 minutes. A couple of tablespoons of cornstarch gets mixed in about a half cup cold water, it gets stirred in. The egg is cracked open into a bowl, well scrambled with a fork and then gets drizzled in with a slow stir.

The Product

20180204_233108.jpg

Topped with scallions, time to eat! It was hot. It was sour.

mjb.

Attached Files:

planethoff, yeller, butzy and 2 others like this.
  20. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    A very very simple one:
    Black bean beef with steamed rice and a fried egg.
    It's a highly savury dish, so a little goes a long way

The main ingredients:
    01 ingredients - coriander-chili-garlic-onion-rice wine-black bean paste.jpg

Pre heated the wokky thing (I got several, so trying to give each one a turn in this challenge. This one needed a bit of a spiderweb clean first)
    04 empty wok.jpg

Once hot, added oil, then onion, garlic and chili and once they were cooked I added the ground beef.
    Once browned, I added black bean paste and rice wine (the dark blob is bean paste)
    06 added black bean paste and rice wine.jpg
    Final touch: Fresh coriander (or cilantro for the Americans)
    08 corinader added at the end.jpg
    I served with steamed rice and a fried egg.
    The contrast of the very dark dish and white rice is always a bit difficult for my camera
    12 served - edited lighter.jpg

planethoff likes this.