the Extinction of Chefs

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by dagger, Jun 23, 2019.

1. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    With things like june toaster oven and now Treager grills that do the cooking on their own who needs chefs or restaurants, Pick meal from your phone, follow the prep directions, stick it in the oven, press start and walk away. People call this cool while i saw why bother just buy it already cooked, shame.

Ajith Damodaran and chefross like this.
  2. Seoul Food

Seoul Food

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Because people are naturally lazy and you will never be able to find all the "copycat" recipes for your favorite trademarked food items.

Vjan likes this.
  3. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I own a traeger. The only thing hands off about it is running the fire.

4. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    The new series have wifi guy demo them on fox this morning

5. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Maybe in the future already eaten food will be able to be purchased and dumb the experience down even more.

For me, food represents more than a bodily function. It is about nourishment. Depending upon the level of participation I take in the event, the more possibilities I am presented for nourishment beyond my physical body. At the pinnacle, my soul gets nourished.

One of my fondest memories is when my wife, kids, grandkids, and I went to one my favorite places on earth, a mountain lake at 8.000 foot elevation in the Sierras. After a rewarding and bonding afternoon which concluded with the harvesting of a bounty of rainbow trout and grandkids that were now extremely enlightened and enthused about the splendor of a high mountain lifestyle and their newly acquired skills. We went home to start a fire which warmed our bodies, our souls, and provided the source of heat for the preparation of our evening repast, which everyone participated in and which increased bonding, enthusiasm, new skills, and enlightenment even more!

Of course I could have just bought a prepared rotisserie chicken at the grocery and had it delivered instead.

6. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    kuan likes this.
  7. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    (Tongue in Cheek)...Gee maybe this will be the new "Sous Vide"

8. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I think you guys have heard all my complaints. I'm most annoyed at the manufactured spaces like beer halls with bad food trucks parked outside. It was nice, for a week, now they're all the same.

chefross likes this.
  9. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Ah yes the ubiquitous food truck. Been there......some are better than others, I must admit.

10. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I hear people all the time telling me they don't have time to cook, or they have no interest in cooking, or they aren't very good cooks.
    I smile and think to myself...'Job Security'!

french fries and brianshaw like this.
  11. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Fall into the "convenience trap" and you'll never learn to boil water.

12. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    ....waiting for the day the most common phrase heard when getting dinner ready at home will be something along the lines of
    "Alexa, order 2 pizzas and a mixed geeen salad, no tomatoes".... dressing on the side."