The easiest curry ever....?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by french fries, Feb 27, 2017.

1. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I feel like making chicken curry tonight, I just don't have a whole lot of time today.... so I'm thinking of making a curry paste, roasting the paste with the chicken, adding some coconut milk, some chicken stock, and seasoning with lime juice and fish sauce. 

Curry paste, what could I throw in there? So far I'm thinking

- Ginger

- Garlic

- Palm sugar

- Shallots

- Turmeric

I wish I had some shrimp paste but I'm all out. 

What else could I add? I don't have any Asian herbs... Seems like I'm missing something obvious...  Any spices I should be thinking of? My brain is elsewhere today...

Thanks!!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cloves...All ground. That's more Indian than Thai though.

Lemongrass, citrus, cilantro, chile's

3. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Cumin! Coriander! That sounds great, thanks phatch. Cinnamon and cloves... hmmm don't feel like it today. 

Lemongrass would be amazing.. actually I may have some in the backyard!! Cilantro and chilies would be great but I don't have any. 

4. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Do you have any celery with leaves, if so chop up the leaves, kinda sorta cilantroesque (made up word, but what the hey).

5. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Yep, you are definitely missing the chili's.

You can use any chili paste instead (if you have), or otherwise even powdered.

Something citrus is also missing:

Lime or lemon zest can work, but since you have lemon grass, I would use that.

Coriander sounds like a good plan.

Since you don't have cilantro, I suppose you don't have coriander roots either /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

And you need fish sauce. Not for the paste obviously, but definitely for the meal!

I normally have some curry pastes handy for if I want to make a quick Thai curry. I will always add something to it to make it a bit less generic though (normally some chilis, lime juice and kaffir lime leaves)

Good luck and bon appetit