The Dining Room at the Ritz Carelton Chicago

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Recently had dinner at the Dinning Room at the Ritz Carleton and I have to say that it was one of the best meals I have had!!!

Started off with the beluga caviar with lobster ceviche app that was mind blowing. After moved on to the scallops, and then had the roqufort terrine. Next was the duck liver with medjool date puree and a glass of saturne. For the entre I had slow roasted salmon.

It was a three hour gastronomique tour de force!!!!

I was sad that I didn't have room for the incredible cheese tray.

If you are in Chicago then be sure to check it out.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Sarah Stegner is the Chef's Collaborative co -chair in Ill. FYI
They just opened a chapter this past year. I know they are working with a few other cooking groups on the CHIC farmer's venue over the winter and may have some connections to the Green Market (Abbie Mandel) Have you guys been to that one yet?
Sorry~to deviate, The Chicago Ritz has a great rep, I've read alot about it the past few years.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
shroomgirl, the Green Market and the CHIC thing are one and the same, I believe. They just moved it over to CHIC for the winter.
Nicko, glad you had a great dinner at the Ritz. How about the wines? You never mentioned them? Do you know Steve Lande over there?

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Hey Pete,

My wife had a glass of merlot, and I went with a cake bread cellars chardonnay. We also had an amazing glass of sauterns and I can't remember the year. I did get to meet Steven and he is a great guy, very knowledgable.

Joined Oct 17, 2000
DESSERT...I GOTTA KNOW THE DESSERT. En Ming Su is a world class pastry chef. What did you have for dessert?

Joined Jan 15, 2000
Steven is a REALLY great guy, very down to earth for someone with his credentials. Was the service awesome, Nicko?

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Thanks Farmer Greg!! I'd just got scattered news about the Chic market.
Rick Bayless is coming to St. Louis is am to do a cooking demo at one of our local grocery stores.
chicken gizzard tacos huh

Joined Aug 11, 2000
LOL~ absolutely!!!! Check out www.saucecafe.com under chef's collaborative then click on the eggplant pix.
I formed the Clayton Farmer's Market last year as an educational market...strictly a farmer's market, we have chef's giving tours, cooking demonstrations, go-food booth, omelet stand....farmers talking every week about their growing practices. Start up is May 12 and the season ends Oct. 27
I got to speak to Rick Bayless and he said your market is on 3rd Sunday of the month...I'm planning to check in out in March. Hope to see you there.

[ February 25, 2001: Message edited by: shroomgirl ]

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Hey guys, might want to move the GCM discussion to a new thread. Thanks.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
OOOH, forgot to answer some questions.

Palmier, the desserts we had were excellent. I had the almond dome, and my wife had the sorbets.

As for the service, I was envious of the people who get to eat there on a regular basis. It was outstanding!

Joined Aug 11, 2000
I Ate at the Ritz Sunday night,
Sarah asked if there was anything I do not eat...answer was NO so she cooked for me, mystery dinner

I too had the beluga with egg salad and lobster salad with blini
Louis Roederer champagne

shrimp mousseline cake with panko crumb crust and a layered veg terrine
Olivier LeFlaive, St. Avbin, 1st Cru 1996
omg so fine....

Wild mushroom soup...no cream but could have fooled me...butter....truffles on top

Venison Loin wiht sauteed pears, parsnips-truffle puree and portabello mushroom, Port wine sauce
Tinto Pesquera, Risera del Duero 1997
I wouldn't let um take the glass until it was done...oh my!!!

I got 8 different cheeses that and the camembert from cow/sheep milk was WONDERFUL...served with toast, bosc and apple
10yr Tawny Port

Dessert....Lemon ice cream in a timbale shape with a candied kumquate and citrus cardomon soup...a tiny tuille with citrus tones...the Ice was on a white chocolate disc....true finesse. I would not have ordered this off a menu, but it was phenominal.....trully amazing.

The petit fours...about 10 tiny treats...a mango jelly to die for, caramel with deepth, a ganauche that sang...on and on I could not finish them all........
Did not eat until 5 pm today.
What a team they are...you can tell they enjoy where they are and what they do!!!
I have food memories, Bagwell 2424, LeRuths,
Nikolais Roof, Artesia and now the Ritz...trully everything was impecable.

I'm going back to Chicago this weekend for the Fancy food Show and am thinking hard about the Ritz again the foie, cheese, and dessert...gooot city but oh man what a way to goooooooo.

Joined Mar 6, 2001
Chicago Green City Market, would anyone please explain more about this? I do pastries out in the burbs of the city so I'm pretty removed. But I have not heard a thing about this before reading this thread.

Could you please give me/or dirrect me to more info.? :D Thanks!

Top Bottom