The December 2017 Challenge is . . . "VEGAN"

Joined Nov 14, 2017
OK ... Go ahead ... HATE ME!

Vegan includes ... Nothing "OF" or "FROM" an animal. I almost screwed-up a big dessert once by using honey. ... NO NO NO NO NO. Honey is bee puke. It COMES FROM bees. NO good.

This is not really as difficult as you may think. That lasagna dish I put up could go VEGAN if you just swap-out the cheese and use something as a meat substitute. Properly seasoned minced roasted mushrooms with lentils and roasted pecans will fool neanderthals if done rite. Trust me ... I've done it. Go look up my VEGAN Bahn Mi sammiches. They fooled a group of cave-men, right up to when one of guy's wife hit him with a pan.

You'll be fine. You can do it.

Here's my thread for ideas ...

https://cheftalk.com/threads/good-vegan-eats-vegetarian-too.68194/
I love honey.

Joined Apr 25, 2014
Firm tofu cut into blocks first. Lay them out on a plate on a paper towel, Microwave 30-45 sec full power depending on your microwave wattage, then pat dry. It should expel more water from the surface than if you simply pat them dry. Definitely less bubbling up in the wok oil.

Pros
+ less water
+ safer frying
+ crispier

Joined Apr 25, 2014
Okay guys let's get serious. This is my second entry. KUNG PAO LOTUS ROOT. I keep telling everyone all they need is a $20 chinese cleaver and a 100k BTU wok burner and I'm sticking to that story.

Prep:
-Deep fry the lotus root slices 1-2 min to soften it up a bit and to get the surface bumpy. Better sauce adhesion..
-Sichuan chili oil (sichuan peppercorns, chiles) pre make and keep ready in a squeeze bottle.

Stir fry add in this order:
1) Chili oil then scallion whites and more dry chiles.
2) Peanuts
3) Lotus root
4) Dark soy
5) shaoxing vinegar

nalwsmf.jpg

Just the right amount of crunch left in the lotus root. There's heat and numbing just like I want. You know it's spicy when you sneeze when stir frying...

I'll take a perfectly cooked lotus root over shrimp or chicken. I don't miss meat in this dish at all.

Last edited:
Joined May 28, 2015
Okay guys let's get serious. This is my second entry. KUNG PAO LOTUS ROOT. I keep telling everyone all they need is a $20 chinese cleaver and a 100k BTU wok burner and I'm sticking to that story.

Fabulous! Where am I to get lotus root? Its an ingredient I've had my eye on for a while (envy). It hard to find in the UK.

Joined May 5, 2010
View attachment 64194

French Lace Cookies.
Margarine, corn syrup, brown sugar, ground nuts, flour.
I think this is what they call 'vegan before vegan was cool'.

You may have a problem with the brown sugar though. It is not vegan just as honey is not vegan. Crushed charred animal bone is used in the production of sugar. It is added to make the sugar white. Molasses is added to the sugar to make brown sugar. So unless the sugar you used was specifically vegan.........well......sorry

Joined May 5, 2010
....Yes, so this got me to thinking if charred animal bones are used in the production of sugar, but it is NOT an ingredient In sugar, than is it still considered vegan. How would that compare to a percentage of ground up insects in flour?

Joined Sep 21, 2001
I read about sugar and the bone char filtration process. There is no animal product in the sugar, regardless of how inhumane the production process may be. This is about cooking, not ethics. I stand by my entry.
Oh, while the More Vegan Than Thou card has been played....shellac?

Last edited:
Joined May 5, 2010
I read about sugar and the bone char filtration process. There is no animal product in the sugar, regardless of how inhumane the production process may be. This is about cooking, not ethics. I stand by my entry.

"Ouch" peachtree......I wasn't questioning your entry, just asking a question....and you're right about the charred bone in the process, NOT the sugar.

Joined Apr 25, 2017
You may have a problem with the brown sugar though. It is not vegan just as honey is not vegan. Crushed charred animal bone is used in the production of sugar. It is added to make the sugar white. Molasses is added to the sugar to make brown sugar. So unless the sugar you used was specifically vegan.........well......sorry

It depends on the brand- some still make real brown sugar by only partially refining it, no bleaching.

Joined Aug 15, 2003

Inhumane? Nothing inhumane about the process...the animals are already dead when the bones are heated.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I am curious about this whole sugar story. I have never heard of using animal bones in the production of sugar.
Is this true for all types of sugar (Here our sugar comes from sugar cane, in Holland from sugar beets)? And is it always processed that way?

Joined Jan 8, 2010
So....
One of my favourite dishes is Rendang, an Indonesian (and Malaysian) beef dish, cooked in coconut milk till all liquid has evaporated. The oil in the coconutmilk remains and fries the meat.
I decided to try if I could do this with oyster mushrooms instead of beef. Never tried it before.
I played around with the spices and it has become a bit of a fusion between Thai and Indonesian.
I was too lazy to make a spice paste, so I used a red curry paste (that did not contain shrimp paste).

Start of with bringing some coconut milk to the boil, add spice paste and mushrooms (and extra garlic and kaffir lime leaves)
01 coconut milk with red curry paste-oyster mushroom-garlic and kaffire lime.jpg

It was a bit on the spicy side already, so decided on prepping some cucumber
04 sliced cucumber as oyster dish is a bit hot.jpg

To make it fully fusion, I used a flour tortilla to make a wrap.
Actually, Thailand has a green beef curry dish that is made in a similar way, and served with roti, so I am not that far out ...
06 prepping flour tortilla.jpg

Mushrrooms are done:
07 cooked in more.jpg
Final step:
09 tortilla step 2 closer.jpg
And some sweet corn to make it a full meal:
10 sort of rolles with sweet corn.jpg

Joined Jan 4, 2011
For the benefit of our studio audience ... I've seen a number of true trusted VEGAN recipes today that listed brown sugar as an ingredient. I'll go with the idea that it is an A-OK thing.

Top Bottom