The December 2017 Challenge is . . . "VEGAN"

Joined Sep 21, 2001
When I am busy cooking for yoga and wellness groups I make a lot of vegan and/or gluten free menus.
And while I'm busy cooking away the song I get earwormed into my head....
'We've only just veee-guuuuuun.'

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Here we go:
A very simple dish with what I had lying around:

Garlic and chili
01 chili and garlic.jpg

Onions are being browned
02 browning onion.jpg

I don't often use tinned food, but I had a can of red kidney beans lying around. And the little red box contains smoked paprika. It's quite strong, so I only used a little bit.
Not on the picture: half a green pepper and a couple of tomatoes
03 secret ingredient.jpg 04 kidney beans.jpg

And the end result:
05 tomatoes added - finished dish.jpg

Tasty, the chili packed quite abit of heat!

(but am going to eat the left overs with some bacon added and a dollop of sour cream) o_O

Joined Jan 4, 2011
Oh yeah. ... Just like Egg Beaters ... there is also a very new product coming out that is supposed to be knock out.

Last edited:
Joined Jan 8, 2010
I have no idea what eggbeaters is?
I assume an egg replacement product? What is it made off?

I agree with Koukou's sentiment... I have never understood why vegetarians or vegans would want bean-burgers that taste like sausage. I think you can make it tasty on it's own.

By the way, there are not many replacement products here, probably owing to the fact that people in this part of the world are happy to just have food.....

Joined Jan 4, 2011
OK ... Let me clean-up my comment. Egg Beaters is NOT a VEGAN product. I used it as a reference. There are however, VEGAN egg replacements.

Egg Beaters is a product marketed in the United States as a healthy substitute for chicken eggs. Egg Beaters is primarily egg whites with added flavorings, vitamins, and thickeners xanthan gum and guar gum. It contains no egg yolks.

There are many commercial substitutes on the market today for people who wish to avoid eggs. Most of these products are devoid of all animal products, and thus are vegan and contain no cholesterol.

Hampton Creek, a venture-backed company, produces and markets an egg-free products, including cookie dough and a mayonnaise substitute, based on pea protein from the yellow pea.
Egg Replacer is a mixture of potato starch, tapioca flour, leavening, cellulose gum, modified cellulose.
The Vegg is a vegan liquid egg yolk replacer, suitable in any recipe that one would alternatively use egg yolk. It is made of nutritional yeast flakes, sodium alginate, Kala Namak, and beta-carotene. The Vegg was first sold in 2012, and is available in a variety of online and in-store retailers in the United States, Europe, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I should say I’m not trying to be mean about it, I just find vegetables and beans to taste great on their own, why work so hard to make them taste like meat?
I once asked a vegan friend that same question. He said that when you grow up eating meat, it can be very hard to completely eliminate that experience from your life, so you tend to try to imitate that tastes and shapes of the food you've become accustomed to. So he couldn't just eat salads and cooked veggies, he enjoys soysages, soyrizo, vegan burgers etc...

Joined Sep 21, 2001
Coconut Mashed Potatoes And Other Vegan Delights

I make mashed potatoes with coconut oil, coconut milk, salt, pepper. From there I may finish with red curry,cinnamon or cumin or something else. I will often pair it with a wild mushroom almond gravy that I make with a duxelles of wild mushroom, garlic and chopped onion sauted in oil,wheat flour, splash of sherry, almond milk, strong vegetable stock,almond flour, and seasoned with salt, pepper, ground nutmeg and fresh tarragon. Another favorite of mine is to make a vegan and gluten free scone to go with the gravy. I make that with 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose flour (rice flour is the first ingredient),1 cup almond flour, 1/3 cup margarine, 1 Tb baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 cup aqua faba, 1 tsp almond extract.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I once asked a vegan friend that same question. He said that when you grow up eating meat, it can be very hard to completely eliminate that experience from your life, so you tend to try to imitate that tastes and shapes of the food you've become accustomed to. So he couldn't just eat salads and cooked veggies, he enjoys soysages, soyrizo, vegan burgers etc...

I definitely don’t want to derail or make a big issue of this but I really don’t understand that argument at all. Vegan food is so much more than just salads and veggies. My mom is practically vegan so I grew up eating a lot of vegan food. On the same token I’m not too fond of fancy scientific food like Wiley Dufresnes (sp) so vegan meats are all lumped up into that sort of thing in my mind. Food concoctions.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I definitely don’t want to derail or make a big issue of this but I really don’t understand that argument at all. Vegan food is so much more than just salads and veggies. My mom is practically vegan so I grew up eating a lot of vegan food. On the same token I’m not too fond of fancy scientific food like Wiley Dufresnes (sp) so vegan meats are all lumped up into that sort of thing in my mind. Food concoctions.
I'll give you an example, I know that if I were to become Vegan I would still enjoy a burger with a vegan patty that has the taste and texture of beef even if it's made of black beans, soy milk and cardamom...

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I'll give you an example, I know that if I were to become Vegan I would still enjoy a burger with a vegan patty that has the taste and texture of beef even if it's made of black beans, soy milk and cardamom...

I don't think it would satisfy me. In fact it would make me miss meat too much and I'd fall off the wagon quick. I have no morals.

Joined Jun 6, 2017
I'll try something this weekend!

I'm trying to avoid meats (mostly the ones from what we can call "the industry") but the cheeses are something I completely can't live without... this will be a challenge!

In the meantime, I'll leave you with a couple vegan related gifs from the movie Scott Pilgrim, great movie, great insight on the secret powers vegans have :p

scott-pilgrim-gif-25.gif

tumblr_n1mm41iwiG1setwdzo1_500.gif

Joined Sep 21, 2001
A vegan cross fit trainer walks into a smoothie shop and everyone knows! How? They announced it 3 seconds after walking in the door.

Joined May 5, 2010
IMG_2361.JPG IMG_2356.JPG IMG_2357.JPG IMG_2362.JPG Okay....I haven't done one of these for awhile.
My entry is going to be Everything Bagels. The recipe comes from The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart.
What could be more Vegan than flour, water, yeast, and salt?
I used malt powder too, and used unbleached bread flour.

Joined Apr 25, 2014
First entry - goi cuon. Made with what I had on hand - Fried tofu, mint, rice vermicelli. Dipping sauce is hoisin, peanut butter, lime juice.

Since there is probably more tofu frying going on this month I'll give out my secret. Microwave the tofu and blot it dry before frying. It really helps remove moisture from the outside so you can get it crispy fast.

DzmuZfd.jpg

Top Bottom