Featured The December 2017 Challenge is . . . "VEGAN"

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by iceman, Dec 1, 2017.

1. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    OK ... Go ahead ... HATE ME!

Vegan includes ... Nothing "OF" or "FROM" an animal. I almost screwed-up a big dessert once by using honey. ... NO NO NO NO NO. Honey is bee puke. It COMES FROM bees. NO good.

This is not really as difficult as you may think. That lasagna dish I put up could go VEGAN if you just swap-out the cheese and use something as a meat substitute. Properly seasoned minced roasted mushrooms with lentils and roasted pecans will fool neanderthals if done rite. Trust me ... I've done it. Go look up my VEGAN Bahn Mi sammiches. They fooled a group of cave-men, right up to when one of guy's wife hit him with a pan.

You'll be fine. You can do it.

Here's my thread for ideas ...

https://cheftalk.com/threads/good-vegan-eats-vegetarian-too.68194/

AuroraB likes this.
  2. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Well . . .didn't see that coming . . . . . . . Now that's a challenge!!

3. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I can be done.....I am living proof. When I did movie catering we got a job with NBC to do a bunch of TV movies, the main talent was Linsey Waggoner, the bionic woman, a vegan. I never had a challenge like this before but ended up making her very happy.
    This led to her requiring producers to hire my company and specifically me to cater all the ford commercials she did throughout the 90's.
    I even have her autographed cookbook around somewhere.

4. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    From the link I gave you, I will be making #'s 83 & 87 tomorrow. YES, of course, I will be swapping out some of the ingredients. NO problemmo.

I love cooking for vegans. Really hot looking women with really deep pockets. I'm not turning down that kinda business. Like my mother used to say ... "Yeah ... He's my kid ... He's goofy ... But he ain'te stupid.".

Comopaul and millionsknives like this.
  5. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I am really up for this as my son recently announced he was turning vegan so I've been experimenting! Here is something I made a few weeks back (so please note that it doesn't qualify!). I was attempting a 'fine dining' vegan experience (so often, vegan is a bit 'rustic'). This is a warm salad of Portabellini and Trompette de la Mort mushrooms, Jerusalem artichokes, capers and balsamic glazed garlic served on spelt pancakes.

20171118_160347.jpg

aaravth4, Comopaul, fatcook and 5 others like this.
  6. morning glory

morning glory

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I am really up for this as my son recently announced he was turning vegan so I've been experimenting! Here is something I made a few weeks back (so please note that it doesn't qualify!). I was attempting a 'fine dining' vegan experience (so often, vegan is a bit 'rustic'). This is a warm salad of Portabellini and Trompette de la Mort mushrooms, Jerusalem artichokes, capers and balsamic glazed garlic with pickled walnuts:

View attachment 64174

7. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    My standard vegan desert:

Avocados thrown into a robot-coupe, add in some coconut oil, some cocoa powder, some maple sirrup ( yes I know about the bee barf....) and pipe into glasses or molds. You can sub melted chocolate for the coconut oil if you like.

For every 100 deserts I put out, 6 will be my vegan desert, and 3 will be fruit plates....

morning glory likes this.
  8. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Interesting...
    I am not really surprised seeing the past posts of Iceman ;)

Is there any other restriction or does anything go? Dinner, snacks, deserts, savoury, sweet?

Oh, and I didn't know about the honey....
    (I am going to miss my fish sauce. Ah well, soy can stand in.....)

iceman and millionsknives like this.
  9. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Any course is A-OK.

Check w/ vegan stores and stores like Whole Foods. There are lots of vegan replacement sauces and stuff. You can use them for what you are replacing and never know the difference. Maybe. You do gotta be careful sometimes. Sorry.

10. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    This is up my alley. I have been mostly vegan for 2 months for cholesterol reasons.

morning glory likes this.
  11. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm Greek, I've got this in the bag lol.

I ain't scared.

13. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Could be a good challenge. I've never roasted a whole vegan before! Do the vegans have to be fresh, or can we use previously frozen?

Okay, seriously, this will be a challenge. I remember screwing up one of my vegetarian entries by adding chicken stock to the sauce. I'll pay closer attention this time. Think I'll start looking at some Southern India recipes...

mjb.

fatcook, drirene and chrislehrer like this.
  14. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Good luck finding frozen vegans - If you bag one fresh you have to gut and let hang for a week, or two before skinning and then butcher into primal's then break down into cuts just like any other animal . . . works for me. Best with Fava beans and a nice Chianti.

flipflopgirl, fatcook and teamfat like this.
  15. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Other
    I will be watching this... I am a committed carnivore LOL

16. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Great challenge idea. The months always seem to go by too fast for me but I'll do my best to enter this one. With no animal products of any kind to work with, this certainly fits the challenge label.
    By the way, Bee puke is delicious.

iceman likes this.
  17. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Just remember that if it had or came from anything that had eyes, it's out.

iceman likes this.
  18. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Potatoes have eyes.

AuroraB, flipflopgirl and summer57 like this.
  19. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    This is the only Vegan picture I have. I will be doing a Trip-Tip in Vegan water for the Seahawks game Sunday night. Sorry, no Vegan while watching football.

Attached Files:

flipflopgirl and iceman like this.
  20. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    @iceman Very cool! Politics of the "vegan movement" aside, the challenge was always intended to .. well.. challenge us! This challenge grew it's own legs long ago but hopefully I have a little authority when I say I think this is a great topic and keeping the spirit alive. Honestly it's one of the best themes so far for cheftalk.com in the general forum. Having chefs and home cooks get together in an age where "food" is such a big topic is smart. Innovation occurs in every corner and "Vegan" is a reality that professional chefs face.

I won't do that at home.. the farthest I've gone for a big fish fry was switching to Canola because someone had a "peanut allergy" .. not the life threatening kind .. the hive kind. It's a scary place out there for people with food allergies. I'd hate to have one and try to eat out. I guess have your epi-pen on hand. That said.. Brussels sprouts tastes best with.. bacon. Challenge accepted.

morning glory and iceman like this.