The day i am going to cook porridge

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by amkongo, Sep 27, 2013.

1. amkongo

amkongo

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Who can remind me the recipe of cooking porridge?

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I like using a slow cooker overnight.  Water ratio varies with the grain you choose.

3. amkongo

amkongo

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I tryed it but it did not work out, seems like i didn't follow what you said. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

4. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Are you talking about oatmeal porridge?  Why not just use the recipe on the box?  I don't have any handy right now, but you just put some rolled oats and some water or milk, a pinch of salt and simmer it from ten minutes to half an hour, depending on the type, but the typical quaker oats type of oatmeal is usually around ten.  It's pretty simple.

Then i like it in the bowl, some cold milk poured over it, and some dark brown demerara type sugar (i buy panela)  - or sometimes just salt and butter. 

5. amkongo

amkongo

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    yeah, and thank you i am so going to try that./img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

6. samwest61

samwest61

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I used to work in a hotel in Scotland and when I did the breakfast shift I used a ratio of 4:1 liquid to oats. I used half water, half whole milk as the liquid. Cook it low and slow, stirring every now and then. The longer it cooks the better it gets. It would take at least 30 minutes I'd say. We served ours at 7.30am with a shot of whisky (scotch of course) stirred in at the table ;)

7. amkongo

amkongo

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thank you chef sam, i did not know if i can serve it with whisky/img/vbsmilies/smilies/surprised.gif