The customer is always right!!!!

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by danman, Nov 11, 2005.

1. danman

danman

Hi everyone, I am new here, so I don't know if anybody has done a similar thread or not but here goes. I had a customer come up to me and ask if my moroccan spiced Calimari salad was totally VEGAN as he was very strict about his eating habits. Vegan..........Calimari............you've got to be kidding me, are there people out there that really are this stupid. PS. He actually ordered the dish and left the calimari on the side of the plate. W**KER. Stupid Customers or other Kitchen staff Let me know!!!!

2. castironchef

castironchef

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Gotta love the food fadists. I mean, someone's got to. Right?

3. botanique

botanique

Exp:
    Other
    ROTFLMAO -- I hope that translates

You have to look at it this way -- our job is a service, not only to provide sustinance but to educate. As a cook, I aim to please. As a customer, if I do not understand something, I want the "person in charge" of the meal (or runners in between) to help me with my stupidity.

But (still laughing) that's a pretty good one.

4. liv4fud

liv4fud

i began a vegetarian
    didn't know if calamari (or even pepperoni) was non veg / veg.

5. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Of course, true vegetarians don't really pay much attention to other foods. What really cracks me up is the guest who comes up to the Baron of Beef carving station and requests--with a straight face-- for "A slice crispy on the outside, but rare in the the inside"...

6. chefdude

chefdude

Free range calamari :lol: Was doing a pan seared steak with peppercorns and brandy cream. Customer ordered it with sauce on the side. OK no prob. He sent it back because he didn't like pepper grrrr. While I was cooking his replacement meal of venison the waiter informed me that the customer had kept the side of brandy cream, which also had peppercorns in it, and was eating it with his bread and raving about the great flavor to the rest of the table. The customer is #1 even when they're a doofus.

7. markv

markv

The stupidity of man never ceases to amaze me.

I was doing a cooking demo in a supermarket. I'm wearing my chef jacket, there's an array of foods laid out on this long table, there's stuff on my stove simmering, I'm in the middle of a frigging supermarket, and I'm slicing vegetables when a woman walks up and asks:

What are you making.......................food?

No lady I'm rebuilding a DC-10 engine.

The customer is usually wrong but is treated like they're always right.

Mark

8. bigdog

bigdog

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I can be both a cook/server's favorite customer or worst enemy. From the favorite customer side, I'm on a seefood diet. I see food, I eat it! TNT, bottom line!

As for being a worst enemy, if something served is completely FUBAR, I get a little disgruntled, which will escalate from there. Now, I don't mean to imply I'm a bully looking for a fight, but I'm spending my hard earned money on something, and I want it to be good.

I remember a time when I ordered a NY Strip (not from a steakhouse, first mistake) and asked for medium to medium well. I got the plate and the steak looked great, until I cut into it. It started mooing at me! I graciously ate the rest of the plate as it was a busy night, and when the server came by to check up, I showed her the steak. She offered to get the manager for me, which she did. The next thing she did cracked me up. She asked if I wanted it redone, and I said no. She took the plate back into the kitchen and yelled "who the **** cooked this steak?" I was impressed.

Not so much with the manager though. I ate the rice pilaf and veggies, and all the manager would do is take a lousy buck off the bill. Thanks for nothing, for crying out loud! However, my extroverted server was the one ringing the bill for payment, and when I told her the manager only gave a buck off, she was appalled (sp?) and gave me another 5 bucks off. That really impressed me. On a ticket that would have been about $20, the server walked away with more then what I actually paid for the ticket!

9. lwp

lwp

That was your second mistake! :p

(Just kidding...sorta :D )

Regarding the topic being discussed, my policy is that the customer is always right with the disclaimer that their money is buying them food and service... not a license to behave like an arse.

10. chefatl

chefatl

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I had 2 customers come in for lunch one day and they were complaining from the minute they walked in. They didn't like their table, didn't like the silver or china, didn't like the tea or coffee and it kept going. They had their soups and were still complaining. By this point being fed up, I walked out and pulled the soups from them. I said " it is obvious that we will never be able to satisfy you. Please leave. Maybe Dairy Queen down the road will be able to meet your expectations." They left and were back 2 days later and became regular customers.
    I will bend over backwards for my customers and staff, but I don't have to put up that.

11. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm a server at a nice restaurant currently, and I will tell you that it's danm infuriating when someone orders something medium well to medium. Or even medium rare to medium. What does that even mean? First of all, there is no standard for the whole temperature thing anyways throughout the industry--why try to confuse the cooks and servers even more my ordering it like that?

My advice--order it by how you want it to look in the middle. Say "I want my steak to be warm and pink with a thin strip of red in the middle." Fine, at my place thats Medium. 9/10 times, someone goes "I want my steak M to MW." I go "How do you want it to look?"

"Pink in the middle"

"Sir, thats how our MW looks"

"OK thats fine..."

Or whatever, something like that. Also, I always ask the guest to cut into the steak in front of me right when they get the food so they can see what it looks like and if it's wrong we can fix it. Also, if there is every ANY question, always under-order it, cause it's a lot less time consuming to fix. Better to be undercooked than over and have to start with a new steak.

But I would say 9/10 times it can be prevented. But when someone comes to me and says M to MW I think a) This person is an idiot who doesn't know what they are doing or b) This person eats at a lot of bad restaurants and doesn't know what they are doing.

Hope that helps.

12. lentil

lentil

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    QUOTE_But I would say 9/10 times it can be prevented. But when someone comes to me and says M to MW I think a) This person is an idiot who doesn't know what they are doing or b) This person eats at a lot of bad restaurants and doesn't know what they are doing._UNQUOTE

Or maybe this person simply prefers his/her steak more well done. Personal taste isn't idiotic, it's...well....personal.

13. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I used to work for a guy whose favorite saying was:

"The customer is always right....but there are some customers you just don't need."

He was absolutely right. There are some people you cannot satisfy, no matter how hard you try. Better than they'd never come through the door.

And if you really want to hear stupid questions, try being an historic reenactor for awhile. "Is that a real fire," is the least of them.

14. token

token

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    almost everyday while I'm walking around taking inventory, someone who is eating stops me and asks "excuse me, are you the chef?"...

ummm, judging by the white/black chef jacked, the striped pants and the black crocs....yes I would assume I am.

I often want to answer "nah, I just hang out here wearing this apparel for sh!ts and giggles." but I like to be professional. :)

15. m.d.hughes

m.d.hughes

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    the customer must always be seen to be right, then we just smile and take their money

16. just jim

just jim

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Gee lentil, a nearly 4 year old thread?
    :lol:

17. lentil

lentil

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Yeah, that's weird. I surely didn't go looking for it. I think it was on that list of threads that pops up when you get on. Anyway, I stand by my comment....whatever it was!:blush:

18. line_grunt

line_grunt

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Wow didn't realise this was such an old thread, but **** i gotta add my own 2 bobs worth anyway.

The other night for service a vegan lady walks in and requests we do something strictly vegan for her...like we have all the time in the world. But of course the customer is always right so we did exactly what she asked. Now, she is a raw vegan, meaning nothing cooked and only veggies and salad. Astounding!!!

Anyways I made a kick *** salad, it had the works on it, even pine nuts and grated carrot, I was very proud. However...Of course I did the stupid thing and grated the carrot with the same grater i used to grate cheese for a seperate plate...stupid I know, but time was an issue and I wasn't thinking in Vegan mode. The food went out and the server came back 10 minutes later and told me the lady loved the salad but was angry and upset that a small amount of cheese had fallen onto the side of her plate as a result of the grater. She was very upset. I even went and apologised personally to her and she was still fuming. Surprised she had that much energy to be honest.

Anyways, its a hotel restuarant and she decided to stay in the hotel a few days, so we were graced by her presence at meal times for a couple of days...oh what joy. But the real crunch, came when the next night she ordered the white chocolate cheese cake we have on the dinner menu. I went out to front of house and explained to her in my most diplomatic way that not only did the cheesecake contain cream cheese, it also contained white chocolate, and it certainly was not raw. She just nodded and smiled and said that was not a problem and to bring her the cheesecake. I walked away completely baffled, was this the same woman?!?!?! I mean what the **** am I supposed to think!?!?!? very confused.

SO I guess even when the customer is wrong....the customer is right because they are paying the wage....but dam doesn't mean they are always correct, polite or sane lol.

19. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Vegans annoy the crap out of me, no offense to any of you here!;) You obviously aren't much of a foodie if you eat such a narrow slice of what's out there. I can understand people who's religions impose dietary restrictions but the current "I'm so precious" attitude is infuriating. Do people really think it's reasonable to expect special vegan dishes at BK or Pizza Hut?

But vegans are nearly as bad the all the "No-G" dufusses out there.:mad: If you have celiac disease I can feel for you, no doubt- gluten will make you all sorts of sick. But only %0.5 of the public has celiac; everyone else just watches too much Oprah and Dr. Phil. Food fads are obnoxious enough but the no gluten thing is particularly moronic. At least two or three times per shift (and much more on the weekend) a server or expo will approach me to ask if a certain dish has gluten. Usually while we're slammed, of course. When I'm really busy I'll tell them to assume it has gluten and order something else, or better yet, go somewhere else. Okay, I don't have the luxury of the last part...

20. chefelle

chefelle

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Line_Grunt....you had a vegan who was doing raw foods too? Oh...now THAT is a treat.