The cost of chocolate is going to kill me . . .

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by bakerbebe, Sep 19, 2001.

1. bakerbebe

bakerbebe

I'm making a Triple Chocolate Celebration Cake that I found on the Epicurious site for my mom's birthday. It calls for 3.5 lbs of chocolate (for ganache, mousse filling). When using good chocolate -- it can be about $30 just for the chocolate alone -- not to mention all of the other ingredients. A little too spendy for me. I am going to make the recipe for the cake part. But does anyone have any alternitive ideas for fillings/frostings that won't cost me a fortune??

2. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    bakerbebe,
    run don't walk to a restaurant or bakery in your area that uses a good quality chocolate and see if they will sell you some.
    cost should be between 2.95 - 4.95 per pound.
    if you were in my neighborhood i would sell you some!!

3. angrychef

angrychef

How about using purchased ice-cream as the filling? That is good advice m brown. Right now we are getting Callebaut(#811) for $2.14/pound, which I think is pretty good. Extra bitter I think goes for$2.20/#

4. bakerbebe

bakerbebe

That is a good idea. I never thought about asking a bakery to sell me some. I went to this little specialty store (we only have 2 in the area) and they sell Scharffenberger for $10 for 10 oz. Hello! It would cost me $40 because I'd have to buy 4 (10 oz.) bars just for the chocolate.
    I'll have to call around and see if anyone would be kind enough to sell me some! Thanks for the tip!

5. isaac

isaac

first thing is first.....

you.... by no means.... need to use good chcolate when making ganache. i used to think the same thing until i got laughed out the room and then kicked in the butt for thinking . the only time you ened to use good chocolate (couvatures) is when you are coating candie with it. you do not need to use it for ganache..... by no means. if you think of it logically... ganache has cream in it so it would "ruin" that nice chocolate. that is something you dont want to to. please please please...... dont use good chocolate for ganache.... my bottom still hurts from getting kicked.

go out and buy chocolare chips. they are cheap and will work awesome. trust me on this one

6. isaac

isaac

again..... please dont use good chocolate for ganache.... its a waste of time. heck... i will send you chocolate chips.

7. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Please disregarde what issac has just said, I think it is said better this way:

Fine Couveture($$$$) is best saved for enrobing and eating on it's own.

For general uses you can use callabaut, belincourd, petes, hershy, nestly, merkins, vanleer any coveture, just avoid CHOCOLATE COATING.

Coatings and ganaches do not require fine couveture because of the inclusion of cream, oil, liqure and other additives.

Baking flourless cake does not require fine couveture because of all of the additions, and baking.

Please use whatever your customer demands or you can afford or you like.

Issac, if you are going to give advice on how someone should bake for their loved ones, please give firm reasoning and explination.

Save the Scharffenberger for a glass of port or cabernet when you can appreciate the flavor, texture etc.

If you want to make the special cake with Scharffenberger, go all out! Enjoy! You won't go wrong if it is really special to you and yours.

I wish I could have some.

:cool:

[ September 19, 2001: Message edited by: m brown ]

8. bakerbebe

bakerbebe

Thanks for all of the info and advice. I will definately save the expensive stuff for special occasions or if I decide to delve into truffle making.
    It is just so funny -- so many times when I am watching a show with some famous chef, they say "I always use Valrhona" or "I always use Scharffenberger". It is good to know that you don't have to use it to end up with a great dessert.
    I made the 3 cake layers tonight and will assemble the cake tomorrow with a less expensive version of the mousse and ganache. Good thing we are chocoholics around here . . .