The cooking degree of steak

Joined Dec 9, 2017
I have read loads and loads of articles and recipes regarding steaks throughout the years – hundreds of them, at least!, and there has always – ALWAYS! been unanimity that steak should be served rare or medium-rare.

However, I have never agreed with this. I want my steaks to be cooked through. Not in the sense of "well done" – God forbid – but I like my steaks on the well done side of "medium".

I have nothing whatsoever against raw meat, rather the contrary: I love traditional carpaccio, tartare, etc: In fact, these two are amongst my favourite dishes of all times.

But when it comes to steak, I want no raw meat whatsoever in there. This has partly to do with consistency (which is of course not at all an issue when the meat is cut extremely thin as with carpaccio, or minced, as with tartare), PLUS, raw meat has less flavour than cooked meat.

To my mind, the perfect steak is cooked to a medium+. No rawness or chewiness, just pink all the way through.

Joined Feb 17, 2010
IMG_1039.JPG The articles are correct........but everyone has their preference. Mine is medium rare, like in this picture of last nights leftover T-bone steak.
This was done in cast iron.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I have to concur with French Fries and Chef Buba....
I like rare to medium rare (and I don't mind blue either, but only thinly sliced).
BUT" you got to eat it the way YOU like it ;)
And if that's medium-well, then medium-well is the way to go for you!

Joined Apr 25, 2014
I am between mid rare and medium. Depends on the cut. Ribeye has so much fat that it is still juicy closer medium.

Something lean like filet I want mid rare.

Joined May 5, 2010
I can not do medium rare prime rib. The "mouth feel" make me gag.
I can do medium rare on NY Strip, and I love "Bleu" with my Filet Mignon.
It's all subjective, yet we can't stand it when people take a beautiful piece of meat and cook it well done.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
You should eat steak the way you enjoy it most. I don’t enjoy steak cooked through like that. If it’s more than medium rare I’ll pass stick to the side dishes instead. The better steak houses near me will not cook their steaks past medium, it’s even stated on the menu. Just eat chicken instead.

Joined Jan 25, 2013
I think a good bit of how you like your steak goes back to food at home while growing up. my father was a retired combat medic for navy, army and marines. I never tasted roasted chicken till I was an adult, something about the aroma reminded him of gruesome things he had seen and smelled years earlier. the same with beef cooked anyway but well done. when I returned home after being in the world for ten years and cooked steaks medium, his had to back on the fire until well done.
using the pictures above, i like my steak 2 to 2 1/2, although I will eat more rare if i have to.
when cooking for veterans, just remember that a sight or smell may remind them of a bad time they want to forget.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
scott livesey scott livesey that's an interesting take on it.

I don't think how you grew up always has something to do with it. My mother doesn't like meat, and is mostly vegetarian. She cooked meat for us but I never liked it, so I grew up thinking I didn't like meat. It wasn't until I tasted steak at a steak restaurant and then left home that I really began to like meat. It turns out my mother cooked all meat as if it had to die a second death in the oven. Chicken was stringy and gritty, and all meat was cooked to the texture of shoe leather. No wonder I didn't like it.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I knew a fellow some years ago that grew up eating well done steaks because that is how he had them as a kid growing up. One night he was out with some friends and on a dare or challenge or whatever, he had a bite of a mid rare rib steak. He lamented what he had missed all those years, never again well done.

And I am fairly sure I've told this story before, but that never stops me. Way back when I was working as a land surveyor, we were working in the hills of Wyoming. Before heading back to SLC one Friday we stopped for dinner at The Jolly Rodger in Evanston. I ordered the prime rib, as rare as possible. All the other guys got their plates, I was waiting, and waiting. Finally the server brings out my order and she says something like "The cook thought it was too rare, threw it in a frying pan for a while." I was so tired, so hungry I accepted the way overdone piece of meat without the fuss such treatment warranted.

By the way, I think #1 is on the edge of 'burnt to a crisp'

mjb.

Joined Jan 25, 2013
same reason I never ate liver, offal, lamb, over easy eggs, and the list goes on. you eat what your parents serve until you are old enough to buy your own food

Joined Feb 8, 2009
One time at a steak house I order a steak MR. The steak came out frozen in the middle. I sent it back to the kitchen. The steak came back to the table with the chef standing at the door giving me a dirty look. I cut into the steak again and it was still frozen. I should mention the chef was standing there with a knife and steel sharpening the knife as he watched me cutting into the steak. After the second try, I stood up and walked out of the restaurant. It was a funny feeling walking out thinking I could have a knife flying at my back. I wasn't really worried because my wife was walking behind me. A friend of mine asked me want I thought of the restaurant. I told him when they ask how you want you steak just say thawed.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
One time at a steak house I order a steak MR. The steak came out frozen in the middle. I sent it back to the kitchen. The steak came back to the table with the chef standing at the door giving me a dirty look. I cut into the steak again and it was still frozen. I should mention the chef was standing there with a knife and steel sharpening the knife as he watched me cutting into the steak. After the second try, I stood up and walked out of the restaurant. It was a funny feeling walking out thinking I could have a knife flying at my back. I wasn't really worried because my wife was walking behind me. A friend of mine asked me want I thought of the restaurant. I told him when they ask how you want you steak just say thawed.

Ha ha... next time go to a better steak house. :)

Similar thing happened to me at a deli regarding an undercooked spinach omelet. After 2 returns I took the plate into the kitchen and offered to show them how to cook it so there’s no uncooked egg. I was shown the door, as was my wife who can’t stomach uncooked eggs, and was permanently banned from the deli. Not a problem, though, since we have plenty of delis and they shuttered theirs a few months later. But the memory of the stupefied look on the cook and owners faces lives on...

Joined Jan 4, 2011
I like a nice medium-rare ... but I can take it rare or medium too. I don't like it at all dry or cold. I have NO problemmo cooking steaks to customer's order. I will try and have sometimes succeeded in talking people out of well-done fillet.

Joined Nov 28, 2017
I enjoy medium rare to medium and favorite cut of steak is petite sirloin. Just not a fan of fatty taste or texture. I have learned to eat about any 'level' of steak because dear hubby, bless him, is the 'grill man' in our house and sadly he is still 'learning'. He's fabulous with so many things, but he is NO COOK. So I try not to wince when the steak is raw inside OR tough as shoe leather. But he does get loads of praise when he hits right on target. Guess I'm happier to have a loving marriage than perfectly done steak.

(PS I got him a meat probe, but he didn't like using it. About the only thing he uses is (ugh!) a minute timer as he can't seem to gauge by looking at the meat as he grills it. Hence the shoe leather - boo hoo!)

Joined Nov 14, 2017
I have read loads and loads of articles and recipes regarding steaks throughout the years – hundreds of them, at least!, and there has always – ALWAYS! been unanimity that steak should be served rare or medium-rare.

However, I have never agreed with this. I want my steaks to be cooked through. Not in the sense of "well done" – God forbid – but I like my steaks on the well done side of "medium".

I have nothing whatsoever against raw meat, rather the contrary: I love traditional carpaccio, tartare, etc: In fact, these two are amongst my favourite dishes of all times.

But when it comes to steak, I want no raw meat whatsoever in there. This has partly to do with consistency (which is of course not at all an issue when the meat is cut extremely thin as with carpaccio, or minced, as with tartare), PLUS, raw meat has less flavour than cooked meat.

To my mind, the perfect steak is cooked to a medium+. No rawness or chewiness, just pink all the way through.
I want all of my meats to be well done but not charred at all.

Top Bottom