The Chip Stand

Joined Dec 12, 2000
I was out shopping last sunday afternoon, and in the mall there's a place called New York Fries. I always go there when I'm in that particular mall, anyway I'm the type of person who observes the entire food court when I'm eating <yes, it's an odd habit LOL :) >and I noticed that NY Fries was the most happening place, which I thought was kind of ironic considering all the health warnings about fried foods, so first off are the chip stands in your area very popular ?, and secondly what is it with fresh cut chips that makes everybody want them ?.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Fries rule CoolJ....I don't frequent Malls but when I go there are lines for the fry place.....After service the other night I had some frites with caesar dressing, they were kinda flavorless but hot crunchy with a hit of salt.
It's something so available in restaurants (fast food inculded) that people at home really don't make um anymore...who wants to go to the effort and mess and really exspense when they are
a side had for the asking. Hot fresh chips are another hit at festivals. Lines around the block to get a large potato spiral cut and fried for only $3-4....!!!

Joined Dec 12, 2000
That's it Shroom, my point exactly, I love fries, and I paid just about $5.00 for a pepsi and a bucket of fries, so what is it that makes people so willing to shell out that type of money for a potato ??.

Joined May 26, 2001
Because they think it's really hard to make good ones at home? Or maybe just because they taste so good? :D

Joined Nov 20, 2000
Ocean City, Maryland Boardwalk Fries I can still taste 'em!
Fresh russets in peanut oil twice fried with salt and Malt Vinegar....Ocean breezes..... (And here I am in NY. Pardon me while I go off in a corner and sob quietly!:D )

BTW It doesn't get any better than that!

Joined Sep 21, 2001
I have made my own potato chips for years. You CAN do them at home. I use firm small russets and slice them on a Kitchen-Aid with the thin slicing attachment. I rinse the chips in cold water till the water is clear, then dry the chips well in a large colander. I fry them at 350-375 in peanut oil till crisp, blot on a paper towel and toss with a blackening spice that I make. Another tip is that I fry them in small batches and stir often so the chips don't stick together. I don't eat much fried food but these things are worth the calories.

Joined Aug 4, 2000
Peachcreek:

How thin are the potato slices? Don't have a slicing attachment for my Kenwood mixer so it'll be done manually.

Joined May 26, 2001
When I recently made chips (US; = UK "crisps") I cut them thick, using a cheapie Benriner mandoline on the deepest possible thickness (screw removed). I thought they'd come out about 1/8 to 1/4" thick, but once they cooked they were no more than 1/8".

When I make fries (US; = UK "chips") I either cut russets lengthwise by hand into 1/12s or 1/16ths, or I use the 6mmX6mm julienne disc for the Cuisinart. The first is for fat ones; the second for skinnies.

Joined Sep 21, 2001
Thin, say, 1/16th of an inch. Almost transparent. You can do it with a good sharp knife, but consistancy and tedium are the problem. Doing any quantity at all and you need some kind of machine or mandoline. When I made them for a brewpub I worked at we make at least 100lbs per day, and sometimes 250lbs per day. We cut those on a Ditto Dean and had 3 fryers and a prep guy whose main morning job was chips.

Joined Dec 4, 2001
When I was growing up in Scotland in the 50s and 60s, it seemd to me that every household in the land had a "chip" pan (french fries.) Chips were a staple, served with almost everything.
My mother used to peel the spuds and cut them into 1/2" sticks, rinse them in a bowl of cold water then fry them in lard. They were soooo good. They didn't come out crispy like oil fried chips but rather they were soft and full of flavor. We would drown them in salt and vinegar then make a chip sandwich.
Oh the memories :)

Jock

Latest posts

Top Bottom