The Chefs Jacket

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by theculinarykid, Sep 24, 2014.

1. theculinarykid

theculinarykid

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I love the way black jackets look on chefs. Here at school we are not aloud to wear them unless we have a level 200 class. I guarantee when I step into a 200 class I will be wearing the full black. What do you wear chef whites or black? Or is their so many stains on it that it just doesn't matter? 

2. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Meh...

Once you get a real job in a real kitchen and stand in front of a broiler or a 12-eye range for 8 hrs a day, you won't be thinking that black is such a hot colour for clothing in kitchens.

'Course, once you fork out 40 or 50 bucks each for a jacket, you'd like them to stay nice.  Black fades, especially after washing--multiple times, white never fades.    And you'll only try it once to bleach a stained black chef's jacket, I can guarantee you that.

The hobby cooks and wannbees can have all the black jackets, chilli pepper patterned ones, the single breasted ones, snap-button ones, "anorak" style ones, and all the other weird-azz "improvements" designers have made. 

They're just not practical in a professional kitchen.....  

sfgray and harrisonh like this.
  3. theculinarykid

theculinarykid

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Thanks for the reality check! If you haven't picked up I am just in school ...a tech school at that but we learn a lot their. I will keep that in mind thanks! I think im just into the black jacket because of the status symbol it has at our school.   

4. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I wear white. I am of the "form follows function" train of thought as stated here...
    I care about what is on the plate...status not so much. For me the heart of the matter is the cuisine, not me.

sfgray likes this.
  5. beastmasterflex

beastmasterflex

Exp:
    Other
    Cornflower blue, but only on Tuesdays.

6. youngchefkarl

youngchefkarl

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I have all different kinds. I know chef's that are worth their weight that wear pepper pants and stuff like that but i agree its not for everybody. I have white short sleeve, black long, red and blue medium sleeve jackets. A white chalk stripe bib apron always goes over that. Everyone is different.

7. powerviolence

powerviolence

Exp:
    Line Cook
    If you do wear black always wear a black apron. Or be covered in white hairs everywhere. White is the best IMO.

Currently at my current job we wear red and black... It's just the color theme the owner choose

8. laurenlulu

laurenlulu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I prefer black, only flour and powdered sugar show on them. I disagree that black is impractical in a professional kitchen, if I can go between the dining room and kitchen without needing to change it saves me time.

9. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I wear black dickies work shirts, only enemy is flour, after a busy day I still look clean.

10. redbeerd cantu

redbeerd cantu

Exp:
    St. Philip's College Culinary Arts (AAS, Cum Laude), International Kitchens
    Wear a black coat in my kitchen, must wear black top. I spent a lot of time finding the right one. I am a profuse sweater and needed the one most likely to help reduce heat retention.

Found one with a heat-release mesh on back/shoulder area. Helps a great deal.

Found a hat with the same mesh on top, as well. Also great help.

11. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    OK. I'm not sayin' ... I'm just sayin' ...

I think you should wear whatever makes you happy. That is of course if it goes along with whatever is in the kitchen, or what the boss says he/she wants. Mostly I wear whatever coat is on top of the clean pile. I've got white, black, red and green. I've got one(1) boss that likes everyone in black, that's why I've got a black coat. A coupla my white coats are 10+ years old. They've got a very nice "stain patina". My red and green coats separate my visually from the students in the classes I teach. One(1) thing that sucks about my black coat is that it doesn't have a breast pocket. That brand just doesn't have pockets on black coats. I think that is kinda stupid.

$40-$50 per coat?!? WOW. I wish I could afford that. Mine are all $19-$23, depending if they're on sale at the time. I forget who it is right now, but some company has sent me a whole bunch of "SALE" emails. "Happy Chef" I think maybe. You might wanna check out some better prices.

12. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    No one that actually does any work in a kitchen wants a white coat.  Unless there's a laundry service. I have a dozen black coats and a smattering of other colors.  But I only ever wear the black ones.

13. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I thought that what I did for 12 hours in the kitchen today was actual work, but I guess I was mistaken.

harrisonh likes this.
  14. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hahaha!  No offense meant.  I just mean I can't fathom how anyone that works for a living and wears a white one can ever get it clean.  Maybe I'm just a pig./img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif   I'll readily admit I'm pretty crappy at laundry; I deliberately own civilian clothes that can be washed together.  Since I don't toss pies or do a lot baking a black one looks clean longer and stains don't show up.  To me whites are for clipboard chefs.  Or ones with some mad laundry game./img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

15. redbeerd cantu

redbeerd cantu

Exp:
    St. Philip's College Culinary Arts (AAS, Cum Laude), International Kitchens
    This is my dream coat:

If I could find this with the cool vent, moisture-wicking, I'd be in cook shangri-la...

cheftux likes this.
  16. spoiledbroth

spoiledbroth

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Hahaha. They have coloured chefs jackets that are available now, ie. red, green, blue, yellow, with matching pant and apron: have seen open kitchens with "rainbow brigades". Pretty funny.

I like the black ones just because they tend not to show stains and if you work relatively clean and use detergent specially made for black dyed clothing and wash your jackets without any other clothing they usually don't begin to fade for a good 6-8 months... I find anyway. They do get quite hot. I like  the ventilated ones but that's about it. Ventilated pillbox is nice too.

17. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I dunno, I don't find a black coat to be any hotter than a white one. Are you guys and gals cooking while standing out in the sun?/img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

18. spoiledbroth

spoiledbroth

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Thermal radiation (ie. heat) can essentially be thought of as very low frequency (infared) light...

19. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yeah, I get the physics of it.  Infrared will be absorbed by a darker color not but not heat per se.  I haven't noticed any difference in real terms.  Then again, I'm always sweating like a pig no matter what color I'm wearing.

20. cheftorres87

cheftorres87

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I like that black hides stains, but I like that white forces you to be a cleaner chef.

I use to just wear a White Chef Coat, with a Black Apron.

What you wear at school is irrelevant though. You're there to learn culinary arts, not fashion.