The Chef's diary

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by gsquared, Jun 7, 2002.

1. gsquared

gsquared

I have lately been thinking that it is time to start documenting my experiences with food, rather than just record successfull recipes. I would really appreciate it if any of you keep some sort of a diary to hear whether you have found real value in keeping note of your attempts, your thoughts, etc.

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    What you suggest should be required of every culinary student!

The closest I come to keeping a diary is my kitchen calendar, where I list each night's dinner menu. It mainly serves to jog my memory -- what did I do with the leftover roast lamb? for example. Otherwise I just try to remember how I did something before, and build on that. Not the most scientific way to go about it, but I'm lucky to still have a good memory (for the failures as well as the successes).

I DO go into far more detail when I list my party menus, such as what I used to marinate the olives, or what went into the smoked salmon mousse, etc. Those are also the times that I note which wines were served. These either go into the "Meals Eaten" file on their own, or into the calendar, which ends up there eventually.

3. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    I agree with Suzanne, especially if you are a type that put his thoughts into order GS
    I am such a type and I do that definetely.
    I play with cake decorations lately and the more I practice the more typing I have to do later on my observations :)

4. katew

katew

I love keeping diaries. It's a great way to record your thoughts and experiences. Are you thinking of keeping one handwritten, or on the computer? I use an online diary site that you can keep a password on, or make public. Send me a message if you want some online diary sites.

5. gsquared

gsquared

Handwritten, I think, KW. I do not have the discipline to do a post-prandial session on the computer - I do not cook professionally and am therefore inevitably one of the diners.

6. katew

katew

That's cool. I keep an online diary because I often think faster than I can handwrite but I am a pretty good typist.
    Good luck!

7. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Kate, can you post the url for this on-line diary please?

8. katew

katew

I use www.diaryland.com
    It may look like it's geared towards young people but people of all types use it, from what I read. You can pick from a variety templates and if you know html you can make your own...Well I will just let you check it out!

9. isa

isa

How far ahead do you plan your menu Suzanne?