The Cheese Bible

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Saw this at the library and brought it home. I enjoyed it over all and learned quite a bit about many different cheeses. The encyclopedia part is well written, but not particularly complete as it focuses mostly on european cheeses. I was hoping for some insight into the Mexican and other oddball cheeses but that was not to happen.

The recipe section was a let down in actual results in the few I tried. Mostly, though, I catalogued ideas from this section rather than actual recipes. Such as cheese crusts and pastries for containing other dishes.

I think it's worth looking at but don't make it a high priority.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Though I like my copy of the Cheese Bible, the book I almost always turn to to learn more about cheese is Steven Jenkins' "Cheese Primer". I don't think it discusses Mexican cheeses either though. I find the book to be an invaluable resource when researching cheese. It is strictly a reference book, as it contains no recipes, but lots of information. Check it out if you have a chance. Another good cheese book is "The New American Cheese" or something like that. It is all about artisianal cheesemakers in the US, and it does contain lots of recipes.

Top Bottom