The Caputo 00 flour has arrived. Now, it's time to make some real pasta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by kokopuffs, Aug 14, 2015.

1. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It just arrived chez moi.  Some 00 Caputo flour.   Time to munch out on some real stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Double 00 made into pasta.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  2. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Will let y'all know tomorrow.

3. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    No-way,

Hey Gumba, I'm right behind ya. ciao

4. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @panini,when making pasta do you ever mix some semolina flour into the Caputo flour??

5. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    @kokopuffs  , I often use the caputo semolina for pasta. If I'm going to dry, I use straight semolina. Some pastas I put maybe half and half.

Yesterday I went 75% )) 25% semolina to make Hatch chili lasagna sheets. I prefer it because it stands up to longer cooking.

Tomorrow I making gnocchi alla romana for a neighbor.  I use the caputo semolina. I've tried other brands but nothing is like the cap. I made the dough rounds this evening. It's a quicky to cut out dough, butter, cheese yadda yadda and bake. This is one of my favorite dishes.

Those % are not accurate. I use whatever vessel is in reach.

6. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It sounds as if I should have purchased some semolina in addition to the 00 flour.  And like anything else, recipes for pasta as far as flour is concerned are all over the place.

7. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I agree. There are times when I can get my hands on a nice counter-top extruder. If I'm going to dry for storing, I sometimes use just the semolina and egg.

8. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @panini, for how long do you allow pasta freshly made with 00 flour to rest before cooking?

9. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    What cut of pasta?

BTW, I'm really curious to hear the final analysis. I make pasta with AP and never had a complaint so never tried 00. I know it makes a diff in pizza dough but...

10. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @BrianShaw and @panini:  either spagetti (round and not flat) or fettucini.
    @BrianShaw and @panini:  either spagetti (round and not flat) or fettucini.  Sounds like a learning curve awaits me.  8)

11. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I intentionally rest pasta between making it and rolling it. At least an hour, sometimes more. But don't intentionally test between rolling and cutting, or cutting and cooking. Some folks hang their cut pasta for an hour or more before cooking but I've never noticed that it makes much of a diff

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  12. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    When I'm done, if I see any hint of moisture(usually darker in color) I toss in a little semolina/flour and spread it out on a big wooden board I have.

The less stacking the better. There no set time, you can cook it up right after you make it. I usually drop a large mopine on top and it can sit any length of time

before use. If I'm going to dry I usually omit the egg.

I usually suggest when starting to make fettuccine or pappardelle. Use a crank machine, when rolled out add a little flour and the fold method and cut any size.

When you start to cut make sure the noodles separate as you go. If the stick together, fluff the as you go. If there is any sticking I wouldn't nest just lay out flat.

Have fun and if you don't over think it, it'll be great.

13. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I don't know what a mopine is but I hold fresh pasta similarly. I prefer a cloth cover than plastic wrap. It lets the pasta dry a bit. I concur on wide noodle to start. Spaghetti is a tad more unforgiving if the moisture level is a bit off.

14. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Here.

lagom likes this.
  15. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My goodness does that bring back some great childhood memories of Sunday dinner at my grandparents(the Italian ones) i had all but forgot the word. 😌

16. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    My mind was a blank, as usual. I kept coming up with rag anjd it didn't sound right.

17. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Noodles were one of the first dishes taught at home and always had eggs (and layed out on a bright white sheet suspended on a quilt rack to dry).

Fun to make as you expect a bit of a mess and really fun to eat .... a pot of chicken broth with bits of parsley floating around and a pot of thinly cut egg noodles.

The separation is to keep the noodles from going mushy and falling apart on the stove so we could go back for seconds and thirds.

Just take what you want ma'am and move along lol.

The gmas would alternate making them for these gatherings and after wards the entire year was judged on those noodles.

"OMG remember Agnes's Christmas noodles in '87?"

So heavy and that spring was so wet we couldn't get in the garden until May!

All the biddies nodded and clucked lol.

Thanks for the thread @kokopuffs....

mimi

18. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Panini... rag is what my family called it.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif   Sounds nasty but that was a generic word that applied to all sorts of cloth items that were not intended for wearing on the body. Over the years I've assumed a bit of a haughty aire and use the term "dish towel" or "hand towel"... but even that sounds a bit nasty.

Can we talk pasta formulas?  I use 1 whole egg to 1000g flour and a bit of salt. When humidity is low (which is often) a bit of water.

I like the color of egg yolk pasta but like the texture of whole egg.

What formula are you folks using?

19. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    8))) @flipflopgirl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Always always to all, GOOGLE is your best friend when encountering an unknown term.

20. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    So whatever happened? Is Caputo 00 really better than AP?