The best thing I ever made ??

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Apr 4, 2014.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
  2. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I wouldn't make it but would try it if someone else did. In a sick way it actually looks good. lol

3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Really? Maple bechamel does it for ya lol!? This is not something I expect from a great chef, this is something I expect from hung over frat boys... Or from Paula Dean lol. Pancakes and cheese? Maple bechamel and eggs? Sometimes too many pairings all at once are too chaotic but of course that's just my personal opinion.

4. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    And that's exactly how I'm viewing it. I'm not a total food snob. I eat spam for crying out loud! The guy looks so happy about his creation, why break his spirit. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif

and as far as the maple bechamel..one thing I've learned in this industry is never knock it until you try it. I could actually imagine a maple bechamel in a 5 star restaurant. It's really all about vision and setting. I've seen weirder combinations on Alinea's menu.

I'm more fascinated by the fact that he sounds perpetually drunk. lol

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm no snob either! I eat Cheetos for crying out loud! And I'd certain components of that dish.... The maple bechamel perhaps with sausage, I'm sure other uses could be found for it too. Each component is good but all slapped together?

Although its gotten me thinking about breakfast lasagna. I would use potatoes or bread instead of pancakes, and perhaps a mornay instead of the maple bechamel.

6. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Just make the Bisquick egg pie and be done with it, toss your sauce over the top... bisquick, eggs, milk, bacon, cheese... bake it. One of my breakfast for a crowd dishes

7. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    So I am alone here.  There's something about scrambled eggs and maple syrup that's way too much for me to comprehend.  I understand combining sweet and savoury but it's too much for me.

8. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    I "ve gotcha back koukou.
    Not a huge fan of scrambed eggs in the first place .
    Something about the texture .
    But then again I am the person who loves buttery brown toast with grape jam and bacon so what kinda taste do I have lol.

9. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Many, many years ago I was working for my father's land surveying company.  The project was mapping out a power line across southern Indiana.  I was the chain man, the lowest on the totem pole.  I did all the grunt work.  Breakfast at the various cafes and road houses back then was pretty much the same.  The old guys, 30, maybe even 40 years old would be nursing their hangovers, having coffee, maybe a slice of toast.

I would disgust them all.  A stack of pancakes, eggs, sunny side up, with bacon or sausage or ham.  Maybe grits.  I would put the eggs on top of the pancakes, the meat of choice to the side, and slather it all with copious amounts of maple syrup and dig in.  A gooey, runny mass of goodness to me with enough sugar, fat and carbs to keep my young body fueled until lunch.  Oh, and a healthy splash of Tabasco or some such all over as well.

mjb.