The Best Of Pakistan?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by oregonyeti, Mar 24, 2010.

1. oregonyeti

oregonyeti

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'd like to know what foods Pakistan does best, to your taste. If you are from Pakistan, (edit: or familiar with their food), I'd love to know what you have to say.

From what I know, Pakistan has a great range of cuisine, from spicy to mild, creamy and not, roti, rice, potatoes, and plenty of meat dishes. I am really interested in vegetable dishes, too. Fruits, for sure.

If I were to visit Pakistan, what should I make sure to not miss?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  2. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I see no one is answering, so though absolutely not an expert I'll say what i know indirectly.  I have a friend who's from pakistan.  He often cooks when they have a party and always makes dahl (lentil stew) and rice with spices (pieces of cinnamon, etc).  I've eaten in a restaurant a friend of his has and it had much of what you'd expect in indian restaurants.  Well, after all, Pakistan was part of India once. 

I'm sorry i can't tell you more. Funny no one else is answering though. 

3. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Sorry you didn't get more responses to your question.  "Pakistani food" covers a lot of ground.  Sometimes it's just what we, outside of the sub-continent, think of as generic "Indian" food, and sometimes it's particlular to one Pakistani region or another. 

We live not too far from an area where restaurants featuring regional cuisines flourish, and I've come to like Hyderbadi food a great deal.  That includes, haleem, all the biryanis and pulaos, etc., and especially mirch ka salah (not for the faint of heart). 

The general level of rice cooking in Pakistani cuisine is very high whether it's just plain rice or rice with interesting things cooked into it. 

Dahl is just one of those ubiquitous things that's always there.  I can't say it ever makes much of an impression on me unless it's bad.  Could be me, but more likely it's just the tao of dahl. 

BDL

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  4. oregonyeti

oregonyeti

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks for the replies. I didn't mean I only wanted to hear from people from Pakistan, though it did kind of read like that (oops).

In India, on the side far away from Pakistan, I grew up with mansoor dal cooked with water, salt, ginger and chilis (and there were variations). Plain rice with this dahl on it was a part of almost every meal there, including breakfast. It's a good vegetable protein source. Nothing special, but I like it.

I don't remember ever having beef in India. That's one reason I'm interested in Pakistani food. BDL, I like really spicy food sometimes and I might try making that mirch ka salan.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  5. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Yeti-ji,

I had it for the first time a couple of months ago at a Pakistani restaurant in Artesia (aka Little India).  Apparently in Hyderbad mirch ka salah is usually made with native "chillies" which are a lot like serranos.  The version I had in SoCal was "merely" jalapenos -- toned down for westerners perhaps.  At any rate it is one of those "manna from heaven" things for people who really, really like chili.  If you're not a stone chili-head (and I know you are), you're not going to like it.

BDL