The best book to study for challenging the block one exam

Joined Dec 30, 2016
 I am challenging my block one exam mid January.  I have a few books that I have been studying, but is there one that I should focus on more?    Is the exam hard?  I am a line cook, baker, prep and banquet cook, definitely learning as I go.  I'm terrible with test taking though.  I welcome any advice you can provide!

Joined Apr 29, 2011
The best book is probably The Professional Chef.I just looked and you can get it delivered from Chapters for $64.The test is multiple choice and covers basic cooking, terms, weights and measure, temperatures, food safety,etc.Challenging the exam is meant for people that have been in the industry for a long time.If you are still learning as you go it would be much better for you to join the apprenceship program and in three years time (6000 hours) you will have your papers and will have learned a lot more.

Joined Apr 29, 2011
Oh okay....you're taking the block 1 test.....when someone challenges that means they are taking it without being an apprentice or a student.

Joined Dec 30, 2016
I'm challenging the block one test. I have enough work experience to skip the training part for the first block. That's how my Apprenticeship officer said it anyway. That I am challenging the first exam.
Anyway thanks for your help. I do have that book and I guess with my knowledge I will be OK. :)

Top Bottom