THE AUGUST 2020 CHALLENGE IS . . . . . GREECE

Joined Nov 5, 2007
"All of a sudden we had a race and a lot of really good entries over the corse of the month."

Indeed, it was a great challenge, good to see such a level of participation. Wonder if I would have done better had I used Greek olive oil instead of Italian in all my entries?

Looking forward to nicko nicko 's choice of theme for September.

mjb.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
WOW I am so thankful! Thank you mike9 mike9 for selecting me as the winner. It really was a lot of fun to get back into the forums and hang out with everyone and share our dishes. Now I have to come up with a topic for this month let me give this some thought.

Here are a few photos of my travels to Greece. If you have never visited Greece I sincerely hope you do it is a beautiful place.

This is my view from my families home in Leontari Λεοντάρι Greece.
IMG_20190621_071052.jpg

This is the seaside town of Lemeni Greece which is in the South on the Main Peninsula.
IMG_20190621_171621.jpg

Our family in the village visiting with an old family friend.
IMG_20190620_121835.jpg

In the village square enjoying a wonderful meal at Allotino
IMG_20190620_142540.jpg

Me and My Beautiful Wife Colleen at Brettos Distillery in Athens (oldest distillery in Athens).
DSCF0106.JPG

Thanks again it really made my day to find out I won.

Last edited:
Joined Nov 5, 2007
So some Facebook friends of mine were talking about paellas. You know, with Italy, then Greece, Spain might be a logical next step for the challenge.

mjb.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
teamfat teamfat that is a good idea I was looking back at the challenges they go all the way back to 2013!!!!!! We have done some topics twice.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
A couple few years ago we did Sunday Compound Dinners and after going part way through the alphabet decided on doing countries instead to get a sense of focus. Ever Sunday each participating family would make a dish from the country chosen out of the bag the week before and the grand kids had to draw & paint a colored map and do a presentation on that country before we all ate. It was really good fun and it broadened cooking for most everyone.

Damn - those were good times. Sadly compound dinners aren't what they used to be. Now, to be fair our neighbor has been a professional cook and we natter about stuff like that. My DIL, however not so much and she has Hmmm . . . lets call it "time management issues" when it comes to getting something to the table on time.

Last edited:
Joined Nov 5, 2007
teamfat teamfat that is a good idea I was looking back at the challenges they go all the way back to 2013!!!!!! We have done some topics twice.
Yep, 7 years, looking forward to the 100th challange. Some of the common ingredients like eggs, tomatoes, poultry are worth redoing every now and again. If I had been selected I was going to go the poultry route, Fowl Play for the theme.

When you pick a theme for September, I'll update wasatchfoodies.com/ct_challenge.html with the info, and work on filling in some of the blanks currently there.

mjb.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
We have done some topics twice now like Tomatoes etc but I think it is fine to repeat. Although we have done seafood as a whole I wanted to get more specific and thought Shellfish would be a great challenge. Would that be ok with everyone? This would also give teamfat teamfat a chance to do his Paella.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Sounds good to me! In truth, I usually have an idea or two for a challenge in my head. As I mentioned, I was thinking of poultry. But when I did the shrimp souvlaki, I also thought shellfish might be a good one to revisit. And then Friday night dinner in Cedar City the folks at the next table got a lobster tail, where the shell is split and the meat pulled out and set on top of the shell, like this:

how-to-cook-lobster-tail-17-600x900.jpg

She thought it looked pretty fancy. Again I thought of a shellfish challenge.

So I certainly vote YES on shellfish!

mjb.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Ok great I was actually thinking to keep it very focused to Mussels but then though it might be better if it was all shellfish. I love seafood so lets go with that. Shellfish.

niketas

Staff member
Joined Apr 22, 2020
A few days late and more than a dollar short, but I thought I'd share anyway!

My Yiayia cooked a big Greek dinner last night and asked my mother and I to bring a few things.

IMG_4203.JPG
Started with some homemade Tzatziki sauce. I used a Tzatziki mix I picked up in Thessaloniki a few years ago.

Next, Zucchini Fritters:

IMG_2843.JPG

IMG_1987.JPG

IMG_3508.JPG

IMG_1117.JPG

IMG_3851.JPG
I like them crispy!

IMG_8403.JPG

IMG_8557.JPG

I am surprised I don't see these fritters on more Greek menu's, I find them delicious

niketas

Staff member
Joined Apr 22, 2020
Lastly, we decided to try our hand at making boughasta. We had never made it before, and it is one of my favorite dishes. It is considered both a dessert, and a breakfast pastry, so how can you not love that!

IMG_1513.JPG

IMG_3885.JPG

Making the filling.

IMG_5219.JPG

Handle phyllo with care

IMG_5078.JPG IMG_6102.JPG

Added some Metaxa for flavor

IMG_0813.JPG

IMG_2791.JPG

Fresh out of the oven

IMG_2879.JPG

Forgot to take a picture of an individual piece, but it turned out great!
Had it for dessert, and for breakfast the next morning.

Attachments

Latest posts

Top Bottom