THE AUGUST 2020 CHALLENGE IS . . . . . GREECE

Joined Nov 5, 2007
I'm working on it. Will post the soup and salad in the next day or so, have a couple of lamb dishes in mind, as well as some ideas about fish. And I sort of remember a funny video about pronouncing 'gyro' as year-oh or jai-ro that I was going to post if I can find it again.

mjb.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Are there any good greek recipes with goat in it?
I'll be getting some soon and may as well try to prepare it the Greek way.
Gotta be on grill or a stew though. Got no oven

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I use goat any way I use lamb, or game. Unfortunately the only goat I can get around here is Halal so it's chunked and frozen. I'd love to get some whole joints.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
Spanakopita Rolls

1.jpg
The little ramekin has parsley. You can also use dill and/or mint. The clients this time only wanted the parsley.
2.jpg
It wouldn't have been regular for me if I didn't have some ingredient miss the Team Pic. The zest of this beauty goes in with everything else.

3.jpg
4.jpg
Everything goes into the stand-mixer. NO ... I don't cook the spinach. Before blitzing it looks like a really crowded party. Afterwards ... the volume is way reduced.

5.jpg
Before assembly the fillo had an issue. It didn't make any difference for the end-product. I pre-sprayed the counter with the oil and then sprayed the fillo after being laid out. A serving-spoon of spinach-cheese goes in the middle and is spread halfway up. the sides are folded in and it gets rolled up sorta like a burrito. DON'T roll too tite because it's gonna expand.

6.jpg
7.jpg
The second from right on top is/was the nicest roll.

8.jpg
9.jpg
I get the idea that maybe I should not have tried to cut it until it relaxed just a little bit. I couldn't find the white smaller plates. They were served on smaller plates, I just didn't like the look for these pics.

There were NO leftovers.

"We work in kitchens. ... It ain'te rocket surgery.".

Last edited:
Joined Nov 5, 2007
Are there any good greek recipes with goat in it?
I'll be getting some soon and may as well try to prepare it the Greek way.
Gotta be on grill or a stew though. Got no oven
I agree with @mike9 about just replacing lamb with goat. In truth, I'd bet that many lamb recipes actually started out as goat or mutton based back in the day, And I, too, have trouble find goat other than cut up into frozen, bone in cubes here in Salt Lake. I have heard there is a farm in the area that raises goats and you can buy whole animals, but I've not really looked into doing so.

mjb.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Thanks!! Got a leg of goat and some ribs.
Going to browse recipes for something nice and Greek. Gotta find some lemons!!!!!

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Thanks!! Got a leg of goat and some ribs.
Going to browse recipes for something nice and Greek. Gotta find some lemons!!!!!
Marinate with olive oil, lemon, garlic, and oregano. Roast with open fire. Instant winner! :)

I can mail you some lemons if you don’t mind that they are Meyer, my tree is still loaded.

Joined Mar 12, 2005
I plan on making these Greek beans for the challenge, could someone translate the recipe please?

IMG_0686.jpg

Joined Nov 5, 2007
So I mentioned soup and salad the other day. Finally getting around to posting.

The Players

For the salad, basic Greek salad stuff.

20200807_125411.jpg

Red bell and green tomatoes. Usually these types of salad have green bell and red tomatoes. The green tomatoes are Lucinda, a type of green zebra, and fresh out of my garden. The little red ones are Sweet 100s, also from the garden. No usable cucumbers yet, so the cuke and the red onion are store bought. Also making an appearance are feta cheese, peppers and kalamata olives.

For the dressing:

20200807_131653.jpg

Olive oil, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, garlic and some oregano.

For the soup, I previously posted a pic of the stock underway.

20200812_023832.jpg

You can't make avgolemono without eggs and lemon, of course, accompanied by chicken and rice. For this batch I used a short grain white arborio style rice. And a bit of fresh dill to help brighten it up.

The Process

The chicken stock was made by poaching a couple of bone in, skin on thighs, along with a neck and a backbone from the stash of bits in the freezer. No chicken feet in this batch. Pulled the thighs out after about 45 minutes, let them cool a bit. Took the meat off, bones back into the pot, along with the usual onion, carrot, celery mix, bay leaf and black peppercorns. Another hour or so, then strained and stashed in the garage fridge until show time.

Did the salad first.

20200807_132407.jpg

Whisked together the olive oil, vinegar, a pinch of salt and ground black pepper. Finely minced the garlic and added it, along with the oregano, then let it sit and have the flavors get to know one another.

Large dice on the tomatoes. Peeled and seeded the cucumber, also large dice. Onion thin half rounds. Thinly slice the pepperoncini.

20200807_135908.jpg

Veggies into a bowl, tossed with some of the dressing, topped with chunks of the feta. Set the salad aside, on to the soup.

Fine dice more onion, sweated it in a generous splash of olive oil for a few minutes. Added the rice and sauteed for about 5 - 6 minutes until the grains were starting to get translucent. Poured in about a quart of the kitchen stock, threw in the bay leaf, brought to a boil then down to a slow simmer.

20200812_031440.jpg

Shredded the chicken into bite sized bits.

Cracked the eggs into a cup, juiced half the lemon.

20200812_034855.jpg

Gave it a good whisk. Added the chicken to the pot along with some of the fresh dill. Rice was sucking up more liquid than I thought, added more stock. Gave it a good stir. Checked on the rice, it was done. Took the soup off the heat, tempered the egg and lemon sauce with some of the hot broth, whisking a lot, did not want to turn this into an egg drop soup. Dumped it into the pot, giving a few good stirs.

The Product

Soup in a bowl, some salad on the plate, ready to go.

20200812_040659.jpg

I had meant to cook up a cardboard tube of a pasteurized, processed, bread like food product to serve with it, but my wife had shuffled a few things around in the fridge and I couldn't find the tube of dough. Oh well.

It was good. I should have juiced the whole lemon, and used maybe 2/3 the amount of rice I did. It looks like a cream soup, but no cream in it. The salad was a nice, fresh crisp counterpoint to the rich soup. It was an enjoyable meal.

mjb.

Joined Mar 12, 2005
Greek Gigante Beans - Yia Yia's method

Soak the beans overnight:
IMG_0704.jpg

Put all the ingredients into a slow cooker:
IMG_0705.jpg

Top it off with some onions:
IMG_0706.jpg

Let that cook for 10 hours, stirring occasionally:
IMG_0708.jpg

0%
IMG_0707.jpg

50%
IMG_0711.jpg

75%
IMG_0712.jpg

100%
IMG_0715.jpg

Add sliced loukoniko, grated Greek cheese, and toast:
IMG_0731.jpg

Joined Feb 23, 2020
After enjoying some lamb souvlaki with pita points and Skordalia I think I'd like to keep the Mediterranean thing going since it is summer and gardens are coming in and it's healthy. Even if you don't have a garden markets are starting to see fresh, local produce rolling in. So this months challenge is GREECE - the mother to a lot of Western cuisine. Do a little history search and you'll see what I mean. So on that note - grill it, chill it, bake it, roasted, or raw - cook to your hearts content.

And now for the Bla, Bla, Bla:

• The challenge begins on the 1st of every month. The last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
  • You may post multiple entries.
  • All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
  • If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
  • Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
  • The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
  • Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.
  • The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

What a honor to pass the challenge on Greek cuisine. I am a Greek as well.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
A little past the halfway mark, and I'm hoping to get in at least two more dishes. Several of the possibilities I am considering require tzatziki. So I made some.

20200817_224327.jpg

Greek yogurt, a cucumber ( first one out of my garden ) garlic, mint, dill and some lemon juice.

20200817_224714.jpg

Cucumber peeled and seeded, ready for grating.

20200817_225216.jpg

Into a strainer, a sprinkle of salt, let it sit for a while. Lot of water came out of it. Squeezed fairly dry, then into a bowl with the herbs and garlic, all finely chopped. Added the yogurt, about a tablespoon of lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil.

20200817_233002.jpg

Gave it a good stir, taste test. That cucumber is quite bitter,more than I expected. Added a small pinch of salt, put it all into a small container.

20200818_002157.jpg

I'm going to let it sit in the fridge for a few hours, take another taste. Maybe the bitterness will ease up a bit, perhaps I'll add more herbs, garlic level seems fine. It was a pretty small batch, we'll see if it is enough for what dishes I end up making.

Currently mulling over options like gyro, of course, as well as souvlaki. Perhaps a grilled rack of lamb with spanakorizo. Some sort of fish dish, baked in tomato perhaps, or another octopus dish, inspired by @nicko 's wonderful submission. I'd like to try my hand at making some loukaniko. I ordered some casings on line, but they may not get here in time to do the sausage before time runs out. I could do an uncased version, like Bulgarian cevapi, and serve them wrapped in a pita. So many choices!

mjb.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
@teamfat a wonderful entry. It is amazing how differently the cucumbers taste depending on the time of the season isn't it? I love the idea of making loukaniko that put some wheels in motion for me.

Joined Jan 4, 2011
Baklava (Saragli)

1.jpg
2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg
I lay out the phyllo, butter the bageebies out of it and spread nuts out on half. I pull down the no-nuts half over the nuts. I spread out more nuts. The nuts are 50/50 pecans and pistachios blitzed gently with a regular decent pinch of cinnamon. I would have also added a pinch of ground cloves ... but I couldn't find any and I wasn't going back to the store. ... I did however, find about 6-lbs of cumin ... for whatever the whatever I'm ever gonna need that for.

5.jpg 6.jpg
I roll it up into a cylinder then re-butter and roll with another sheet. Each cylinder gets squished into the casserole until it's full. All the extra butter gets brushed on and all around. I cut them into four(4) sections just before shoving it into the oven.

I thought I took a pic of everything going into the syrup ... but NO ... I didn't. It's better than 3-cups sugar; just shy of 2-cups water; a big squirt of honey; and zest of the lemon. Simmer that up until everything is all dissolved. Add juice from half of the lemon and a capful each of the rose-water and the orange-blossom water when it has cooled down. I made this while the rolls were cooking.

7.jpg
It comes out and immediately the syrup goes on. I used one of those plastic squirt bottles like I used for the tiramisu. It worked really nice except that I had to shake it a lot because of the tiny bits of lemon zest. It was good exercise.
My experience is to let these guys sit for a good eight(8) hours before serving. ... That means you'll all hav'ta wait for tomorrow to get a piece. ... I'll see'ya when I see'ya.

Here it is ...

Finished.jpg

"We work in kitchens. ... It ain'te rocket surgery.".

Last edited:
Top Bottom