THE AUGUST 2020 CHALLENGE IS . . . . . GREECE

Joined Jul 13, 2012
After enjoying some lamb souvlaki with pita points and Skordalia I think I'd like to keep the Mediterranean thing going since it is summer and gardens are coming in and it's healthy. Even if you don't have a garden markets are starting to see fresh, local produce rolling in. So this months challenge is GREECE - the mother to a lot of Western cuisine. Do a little history search and you'll see what I mean. So on that note - grill it, chill it, bake it, roasted, or raw - cook to your hearts content.

And now for the Bla, Bla, Bla:

• The challenge begins on the 1st of every month. The last entry must be made by the last day of the month.
  • You may post multiple entries.
  • All entries must be cooked during the month of the challenge.
  • If you use a documented recipe, please cite your source.
  • Entries should include the name of your dish and a picture of the final product. Sharing personal recipes and pictures of the process are not mandatory but extremely helpful.
  • The winner is chosen by the person who posted the challenge, and is announced after the last day of submissions. The decision is final and falls entirely at the discretion of the challenger.
  • Submitting an entry makes you eligible to win. If you do not wish to be considered for the win you may still participate in the challenge, but make your wishes known to the challenger.
  • The winner’s bounty includes praise, virtual high-fives, and the responsibility of posting the next month’s challenge. That entails choosing a theme, posting a Challenge thread that includes the guidelines, checking in on the submissions regularly during the month, and promptly choosing a winner at the end of the challenge.
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

Joined Nov 5, 2007
Nice choice! I mentioned egg and lemon soup in the Italian challenge, maybe I'll do a Greek version. And I did home made pita in the past, guess it is time to do it again.

mjb.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
So inspired by this challenge I stopped by a place I've driven past a few hundred times, but never stopped to check it out.

http://www.blackcherrymarket.com/

So I went inside to give it a once over. I will be back, they have some pretty good stuff there. I just picked up a few things.

20200802_151247.jpg

The sumac and aseppo are something I've wanted to try out for a while, they won't be part of this challenge. The Greek olives, though, will make an appearance within a few days.

mjb.

Joined May 4, 2005
So inspired by this challenge I stopped by a place I've driven past a few hundred times, but never stopped to check it out.

http://www.blackcherrymarket.com/

So I went inside to give it a once over. I will be back, they have some pretty good stuff there. I just picked up a few things.

View attachment 68376

The sumac and aseppo are something I've wanted to try out for a while, they won't be part of this challenge. The Greek olives, though, will make an appearance within a few days.

mjb.
Love sumac! Easy to use too. The easiest is to toss them with sliced onions and call it a condiment.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Ok. Grilled Octopus.

1. Braise it
I was able to get some fresh/frozen large octopus at the fish market. About 4.5 pounds.
Fresh octopus on cutting board ready to go into the oven

Braise it in red wine vinegar, lemon peel, herbs (thyme, rosemary, oregano) white peppercorns (toasted), Coriander seed (toasted).

red wine vinegar, lemon peel, herbs (thyme, rosemary, oregano) white peppercorns (toasted), Coriander seed (toasted).

Octopus with spices and vinegar in pot ready to braise.

Braise at 275 - 300 (my oven runs hot). About 45 minutes - 2 hours. Check if it is tender after 45 min.
Front of oven set at 275 F and 45 min

Step 2 Marinate it

White wine, white wine vinegar, sugar, white peppercorns, thyme, oregano, bay leaf

Cooked octopus in glass jar

Cooked octopus in glass jar with radish, mushroom, onion, vinegar

Step 3. Grill It! (Here served with Pickled red onions, capers, green and black kalamata olives.
 Grilled octopus served with Pickled red onions, capers, green and black kalamata olives.

Or serve it pickled. (Garlic confit served with it).

pickled octopus served in white bowl with garlic confit and bay leaf

Last edited:

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Thanks guys it may not be fair for me to compete since I cook Greek food all the time and have a HUGE collection of Greek cookbooks.

Last edited:
Joined Jan 8, 2010
Thanks guys it may not be fair for me to compete since I cook Greek food all the time and have a HUGE collection of Greek cookbooks.
Doesn't matter at all.
We like to see what you cook and come up with ;)
After all, it's fun to see, inspirational and so on

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
GIGANTES PLAKI (Large white beans in tomato sauce)
Finished with dill
IMG_20200806_154059.jpg

Greek white beans soaked over night
IMG_20200804_142641.jpg

Cook the beans with onion, bay leaf and carrot. Note never salt your beans while they are cooking always after they cook. Be sure to save the cooking water it is the best vegetable stock you will use.

IMG_20200805_110139.jpg

IMG_20200805_125010.jpg

Made a simple tomato sauce (tomato, onion, garlic with bay leaf. Gets finished with olive oil and Greek oregano)

IMG_20200805_113328.jpg
Greek Oregano
IMG_20200805_120812.jpg

Saute a little more onion and garlic then add the tomato sauce and beans.
IMG_20200806_140301.jpg

The finished product.
IMG_20200806_140421.jpg

Attachments

Joined Jul 13, 2012
GIGANTES PLAKI
Oh - goin' all Greek Fu on us now huh???

Just kidding - both dishes look great nicko nicko . I would never thought of braising octopus in red wine vinegar. I usually cook it dry in a heavy pot on low heat for an hour depending on the weight. I'm always amazed at how much liquid they give up.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
mike9 mike9 I have tried both methods and this is the latest one. Previously I put nothing in the pot but now liquid (vinegar, wine) and spices. You can definitely taste the difference.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
A part of any Greek table is the spreads here are four I made for a gathering with friends this weekend.

Spicy Roasted red pepper with feta (the favorite of the evening)
Tzatziki - Classic yogurt. cucumber and dill
Skordalia - Classic potato and garlic (LOTS OF GARLIC) with white wine vinegar. ( A family favorite).
Melitzanosalata - Roasted eggplant spread.

IMG_20200807_153511.jpg

IMG_20200807_153518.jpg
IMG_20200807_161903.jpg

IMG_20200808_175651.jpg

IMG_20200808_175656.jpg

IMG_20200808_175659.jpg

IMG_20200808_175703.jpg

IMG_20200808_175633.jpg

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Hoping to see some entries soon right now I feel like I am competing with myself. :D

Joined Jul 13, 2012
The other dip I love is Taramsalata. We have so many cucumbers this year I'm making Tsatziki every week - it really is refreshing. I made Skordalia the week before last after my garlic dried.

Come on people - it's not Rocket Science!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom