The Aroma of Coffee

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chefbillyb, Mar 11, 2011.

1. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    [​IMG]

This is my answer to the fresh aroma of coffee, that I don't smell in Coffee shops and Diners any more. I remember when I was a kid the smell of fresh brewed coffee that came from our kitchen from the coffee percolator brewing on the stove. I have gone through a few coffee makers in the past and have never got the same aroma from the modern day coffee makers as I do from this stove top percolator. I always hear newer is better, I will take this old stainless steel copper bottom percolator over any of the newer "do it all" ones. It's nice to wake up with the "oldie but goodie" coffee maker that reminds me of long ago. I use a paper towel as a filter and never have any grounds in the pot....................ChefBillyB

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I don't miss the smell of coffee. Quite often the smell of it makes me want to hurl. Especially french roast.

3. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    You don't like the smell of coffee Phatch? I don't know if we can continue to be friends. It is the greatest smell in the world!

I grew up with an old perculator to and it is what I remember from my childhood. My Dad was an early riser and he would have the perculator going. I never thought about it till now but I think you are right Billy they probably give a better aroma. Our new fangled one does an ok job but the perculator sure does bring back memories. 

4. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I've never been impressed with the smell of coffee, but one job, my office was right next to the kitchen. And one of the coffee aficianodos there would brew this French Roast that just about killed me on a daily basis. People thought I was anti-social because I started keeping my door closed.  That's what particularly set me off on French Roast.

5. redzuk

redzuk

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Yes the memories waking up to that aroma, but it must be really bad coffee to start with if the percolator doesnt make it taste pretty bad. 

6. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Nicko  When I had restaurants in NY  in the morning  I made coffee (old urn style) and fried onions I made sure I put my transome exhaust on so the aroma would hit the street. People would smell it and come in. worked every time.

7. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I wake up most every morning before the alarm goes off... to the smell of the coffee pot brewing. The whole house smells good!

8. dcarch

dcarch

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I was in a professional coffee importer's  taster's facility once.

Interesting that coffee aroma is not part of their selection criteria. They didn't care how coffee smells.

dcarch

9. redzuk

redzuk

Exp:
    Former Chef
    For me it was Grandma's house, she would have the coffee percolating first thing in the morning, not many aroma's bring back memories as clear as that one.  I do think its not a great way to brew but my first post was meant to be more humor than as cynical as it sounded. 

10. chefenhechando

chefenhechando

Exp:
    Line Cook
    The aroma of coffee is very strong near the factory of Doral, Florida west of Miami/and Miami Gardens on 56 street.  There is the home of Cafe Bustelo and Pilon, but the best aroma of coffee that my taste buds found are this coffee combined with cinammon (canela) and sugar (azucar).  This is a great combination!

11. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Sorry to hear that...its one of the wonderful aroma's that lift me out of bed. I have a few friends that still make it Chef BillyB's way and I just love it. An essential item as well for the great outdoors.

I have been to a few coffee plantations and seen alot of beans get roasted , its just amazing to see and experience the art of the perfect cup of coffee. Now what that is exactly is up to each individual.

12. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I used to roast coffee and the aroma would waft out into the dining room and to the passersby on the sidewalk. That aroma was responsible for bringing many a person into the restaurant. It also increased my coffee sales both in the dining room and in purchases of freshly roasted beans to take home.