thawing cooked meat

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by teresa, Jun 2, 2013.

1. teresa

teresa

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I have  50lbs of cooked seasoned taco beef and 30lbs of cooked fajita meat to thaw for a party on June 8.  The meat is all in flattened 2-3lb packages.  How long do you think it will take to thaw in the refridgerator?

2. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    that much may freeze everything in your fridge, but the best would be single layers on each shelf and then 2-3 days. If it is precooked why not reheat from frozen with a little stock or water?

3. dcarch

dcarch

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Can't say for sure. Depends on how cold is you freezer and how warm is your refrigerator. Estimates can be off by one or two days.

I would try this:

Spread them out in room temperature for half an hour, them put them back in the refrigerator for two hours. You can stack them in the refrigerator to save room.

Repeat this as many times as needed. I think you can thaw them all in one day without the food getting into the "Danger zone" and without using up all your refrigerator space to thaw.

dcarch

4. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Stacking, whether on the counter or in the refrigerator, will delay defrosting, the more separation the better.

If the packaging is waterproof, I'd certainly consider defrosting under slow running tap water, probably take no more than an hour or so as long as you rearrange and expose all sides to the water.

5. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    If   thin packages   about 12 hours at 40 degrees fridge. I would go Petes Route  under water

6. chefdean

chefdean

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It should thaw in the fridge but it will probably take 10+ hours.