That time of year - Super Bowl fare

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by laurenlulu, Feb 3, 2017.

1. laurenlulu

laurenlulu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    We're going to a party and I'm curious what you're making for your gathering.

I want to use what I have in house first so since I have 6 packages of cream cheese, making a sweet and a small savory cheesecake. Think I'll make a caramel, walnut and toasted coconut cheesecake and for the savory, a green onion, fresh dill and puréed roasted garlic cheesecake to serve with baguette. I also have a lot of yellow onions so may toss them in seasoned flour to fry as a crispy topper.

Have two racks of ribs as well so I think I'll BBQ and bring those. Have ingredients to make the sauce so that's a bonus!

I also have a lot of lemons so maybe I'll make a simple syrup with lemon juice and pick up some seltzer water and Tito's.

What are you making?

2. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I was invited to join family friends that fish a lot.. so it's going to be a fish fry. I may make some cheddar jalapeno cornbread to bring along. They love to cook so I don't want to bring a bunch of food when I know they are going to have tons of dishes already.

3. laurenlulu

laurenlulu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You lucky man! Grew up near the gulf so I love fried fish!

4. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Count me in.

Tartar sauce or just a squeeze of lemon?

My preference is lemon unless the world is coming to the end and there is not at least 3 different types of slaw (we say cabbage salad) on the table.

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

Sacrilege

mimi

5. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    The Sunday country happens to be Italy so I'm thinking game food that you can pick up and eat.  Muffuletta Calzones come to mind, but will probably do them like a Stromboli for convenience.  

6. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    We're having an eclectic menu. Chili with cheddar, sour cream and chips, Swedish meatballs, shrimp with cocktail sauce. I'm bringing a peach cheese cake with peach compote in honor of Atlanta...(not a Boston fan here)

7. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    We do similar - snacks and hor deovres all day long. Open bar too. All required to eat my Boston Cream Pie, though.

8. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Man.. I love that stuff.. there's little fancy about a Swedish meatball.. although there are bad ones and really great ones - but you know.. it's that kind of common party food that is SO great!

During the holidays.. I often will take on the appetizers.. and I overdo it every single year.. but that's because I love that stuff. My brother has recently started doing nothing but that for events.. no big turkey.. no prime rib.. just lots of crazy great hors d'oeuvres and people are able to graze and socialize and take breaks and go back. I am still a traditionalist with the main courses.. but I would LOVE to turn Christmas into a 2 day event.. 1 day of hors d'oeuvres and 1 day of the classic main course and fixin's /img/vbsmilies/smilies/bounce.gif  

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017