thanksgiving party

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chanel scott, Jul 5, 2017.

1. chanel scott

chanel scott

Exp:
    At home cook
    I am prepping early but we are having all our family here for Thanksgiving, and even though everyone will be helping out I just dont know what to tell them when it comes to how much each person should make. so heres the run down: 

high balling at 40 people, but probably around 30 but I would like to keep the number high. 

we are having pre cooked turkey breast that are about 4lbs each and a honey spiral ham which are about 10-12 lbs each. 

how much ham and turkey will we need? 

then there are the sides:

mashed potatoes 

gravy

corn bread

rolls

sweet potato casserole

stuffing

cranberry sauce

green beans

carrots

mac and cheese

streamed veggies

and I cant think of anything else, but im a planner and I like to have this stuff figured out in advanced. Everyone in my family wants to prepare a dish but like I said I have no idea what to tell them when they ask how much of each they should make. 

2. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    1/2 pound of meat per person is a rough guess, 1 pound for big eaters like my family. Sides figure 1/2 cup for salads(that are not lettuce, those figure 1 cup), 1 cup for potatoes and stuffing. If you plan leftovers(we always do) get enough rolls to make little sandwiches as a snack later that night.

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
     1 cup, per person, for Mashed Potatoes and Stuffing

1/3 cup, per person, for gravy

1/4-1/2 cup, per person, for cranberry sauce

1/2 cup, per person, for everything else.

I am assuming that your turkey breast will be boneless so I would probably go with approximately 3/4 pound, per person, for the meat (that's total, not for each kind). 

This should be plenty, with some leftovers for later snacking, and/or  some people taking some things home.