Thanksgiving Menu ideas

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chef claire, Nov 15, 2016.

1. chef claire

chef claire

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Anybody wanna share some Thanksgiving menu inspiration?

2. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I made pumpkin creme brulee last year instead of pumpkin pie. It turned out excellent.

3. berndy

berndy

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    And I made pumpkin pies without the pie crust, just butter your pie pans and add a heavy coating of cookie crumbs

luvpie likes this.
  4. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    I am a traditionalist when it comes to Thanksgiving! Only twist this year is I am using smoked turkey stock and meat in the stuffing.

5. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    At about 3 minutes in, Jacques takes the turkey apart into leg quarters and whole breast and stuffs the leg, cooks the breast on a pile of stuffing.  I do this every year now.  The legs never went so fast in my family!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2016
  6. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    I could get behind this.

mimi

7. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I make a creamed corn and oyster pudding that everyone enjoys.  I don't know where it came from, but it's been a family tradition since I can remember.  It's easy to make and tastes wonderful.  

8. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Sweet potatoes (yams) mashed with toasted coconut and dates (steeped in coconut milk).

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  9. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I've also been loving coconut mashed potatoes. Using coconut oil and coconut milk, salt, pepper, ground cumin and ground cinnamon.

luvpie likes this.
  10. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    A couple of years ago I we were at someone's house for a Christmas dinner party and a few of us were taking turns whipping potatoes in a bowl with a wooden spoon - old school style.  The hostess was severely lactose intolerant so no butter, milk, etc.  I grabbed a ladle and added drippings from the turkey pan till the desired constancy was achieved.  Everyone said they were the best mashed potatoes they'd ever eaten.  I still do that today and get the same compliments every time.  

polycentric likes this.
  11. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Awesome.

Totally stealing this.

mimi

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  12. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Growing up I never really understood Thanksgiving.  I found turkey to be dry and bland.  I wasn't familiar with pairing sweet fruity flavors with savoury things so I didn't understand the use of cranberry jelly or marshmallows on top of sweet potatoes, and the weird phenomenon of the sweet potato pie.  It has only been the last 6 or so years that we've been having T-day at the home of a wonderful cook who makes turkey succulent, and all the sides are beautifully prepared. I have found a way to really enjoy these foods. 

My absolute favorite dish and a must at thanksgiving is this corn pudding.  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/serrano-ham-and-poblano-corn-pudding-233408

13. luvpie

luvpie

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    hello and please forgive me for writing this here if it's the wrong place. I do have a question: years ago at some restaurant I don't remember where in San Diego we had pumpkin pie cheesecake for dessert. I'm making a regular cheesecake right now but got to thinking or I should say got to remembering that 'that' pumpkin pie cheesecake actually had pieces of pumpkin pie regular pie dough crust in the cheesecake. it still had the regular gram cracker crust as the bottom layer > but there were little tiny bites of regular piecrust in the cheesecake pumpkin swirled filling (those bites were delightful).how would I do that? any help is greatly appreciated

14. luvpie

luvpie

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Brilliant!!!!!!

15. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Mimi - you're going to love potatoes that way - don't forget to get some of that goof fond in there too   /img/vbsmilies/smilies/drinkbeer.gif

16. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now

17. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Never had it with cheesecake but the local creamery did a pecan pie ice cream.

Just make a pie let it cool then break into big pieces.

Add to the already prepared batter and stir just enuf to mix it in then bake.

No need to alter anything unless it is the pan size.

mimi

18. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    So far we are doing Turkey Biryani, Kheer with Cranberries.  Chapati.  Few other things TBD.