Thanksgiving Cooking Challenge November 2019

Joined Jul 13, 2012
We celebrate here locally with a hike that ends up at a bar. Being from Detroit we always saw it as an extension of a reason to party.

Joined May 4, 2005
Don't you have Boxing Day in the US? I'm a Canadian - we have Thanksgiving in October, and also Boxing Day. What do Americans do on Dec. 26, if not figure out what to do with all those leftovers?
Dec 26 is usually filled with Tylenol and alka seltzer and leftovers. I wish it was some sort of holiday, I feel so cut-off the day after.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I did...
Not hindered by any tradition, I decided I can do a Thai thanksgiving, using the ingredients stated.
If this is too much of a free interpetation, let me know.
I will do the dishes one by one as I need to eat them as well.
Here is my bean dish: pat priik king
IMG_20191111_192038.jpg
More pics tomorrow as I find it easier posting via my computer

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I did...
Not hindered by any tradition, I decided I can do a Thai thanksgiving, using the ingredients stated.
If this is too much of a free interpetation, let me know.
I will do the dishes one by one as I need to eat them as well.
Here is my bean dish: pat priik king
View attachment 67082
More pics tomorrow as I find it easier posting via my computer
Excellent. The great thing about thanksgiving is that all cultures can participate. We always made a Greek-inspired thanksgiving.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Tomorrow took a but longer......
Some more pics of the pat prik king:
I was lazy, so used a Thai red curry paste, fried in oil
04 frying red curry paste.jpg

Added pork
05 added pork.jpg

After frying this for a couple of minutes, I added some water to make sure the pork got cooked properly
Then added the beans, fish sauce, a little sugar and kaffir lime leaves
07 added beans-fish sauce- kaffir lime leaves and bit of sugar.jpg

I ate the first bit like the pic in the previous post and my second helping (couldn't help myself) had sugar corn to the side
11 with sugar maize.jpg

It's so easy and tastes so good. Always wonder why I don't make it more often!

I've now started on my butternut dish ;)

Attachments

Joined Jan 8, 2010
And time for my butternut-potato dish.....
The butternut comes in place of pumpkin and the potatoes are used to make the dish less sweet.

I am finally getting to use my butternut that I bought for last month's challenge
02 cleaning butternut.jpg

The red curry paste got fried in coconut cream, which gives it quite a different flavour than frying in oil
07 frying paste in coconut cream.jpg 08 paste is fried.jpg

Butternut and potato are added (I left some of both behind to add at a later stage, just to keep some structure to the curry)
11 added butternut.jpg

Added the remainder of the coconut cream and some water and left it to cook. The green bits are kaffir lime leaves. Got a tree in my garden and, as you may have noticed, I use those leaves often
13 about done.jpg

And done....
17 done.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom