Thanksgiving Cooking Challenge November 2019

Joined Jul 13, 2012
We celebrate here locally with a hike that ends up at a bar. Being from Detroit we always saw it as an extension of a reason to party.

Joined May 4, 2005
Don't you have Boxing Day in the US? I'm a Canadian - we have Thanksgiving in October, and also Boxing Day. What do Americans do on Dec. 26, if not figure out what to do with all those leftovers?
Dec 26 is usually filled with Tylenol and alka seltzer and leftovers. I wish it was some sort of holiday, I feel so cut-off the day after.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I did...
Not hindered by any tradition, I decided I can do a Thai thanksgiving, using the ingredients stated.
If this is too much of a free interpetation, let me know.
I will do the dishes one by one as I need to eat them as well.
Here is my bean dish: pat priik king
IMG_20191111_192038.jpg
More pics tomorrow as I find it easier posting via my computer

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I did...
Not hindered by any tradition, I decided I can do a Thai thanksgiving, using the ingredients stated.
If this is too much of a free interpetation, let me know.
I will do the dishes one by one as I need to eat them as well.
Here is my bean dish: pat priik king
View attachment 67082
More pics tomorrow as I find it easier posting via my computer
Excellent. The great thing about thanksgiving is that all cultures can participate. We always made a Greek-inspired thanksgiving.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Tomorrow took a but longer......
Some more pics of the pat prik king:
I was lazy, so used a Thai red curry paste, fried in oil
04 frying red curry paste.jpg

Added pork
05 added pork.jpg

After frying this for a couple of minutes, I added some water to make sure the pork got cooked properly
Then added the beans, fish sauce, a little sugar and kaffir lime leaves
07 added beans-fish sauce- kaffir lime leaves and bit of sugar.jpg

I ate the first bit like the pic in the previous post and my second helping (couldn't help myself) had sugar corn to the side
11 with sugar maize.jpg

It's so easy and tastes so good. Always wonder why I don't make it more often!

I've now started on my butternut dish ;)

Attachments

Joined Jan 8, 2010
And time for my butternut-potato dish.....
The butternut comes in place of pumpkin and the potatoes are used to make the dish less sweet.

I am finally getting to use my butternut that I bought for last month's challenge
02 cleaning butternut.jpg

The red curry paste got fried in coconut cream, which gives it quite a different flavour than frying in oil
07 frying paste in coconut cream.jpg 08 paste is fried.jpg

Butternut and potato are added (I left some of both behind to add at a later stage, just to keep some structure to the curry)
11 added butternut.jpg

Added the remainder of the coconut cream and some water and left it to cook. The green bits are kaffir lime leaves. Got a tree in my garden and, as you may have noticed, I use those leaves often
13 about done.jpg

And done....
17 done.jpg

Joined Apr 25, 2011
I have been super occupied with work the last few months, but I am able to squeeze in my favorite Thanksgiving leftover dish.

Turkey, stuffing, cranberry meatballs in turkey gravy with cranberry coulis.
A19126F8-459A-477E-9A22-23091AD77CC7.jpeg

Mix leftover stuffing with ground turkey, egg, and whole braised cranberries. Shape of nto 1” diameter meatballs. Baste with butter. cook at 400F until 165F internal temp.
add to pot of leftover turkey gravy (or make more with leftover carcas).
cranberry coulis: 2 lbs whole cranberry, shallot, zest and juice of one orange and one lemon, pint turkey stock, 1/2 cup sugar. Boil. Blend. Strain. Cool.
93A97ABA-7B9B-4EA2-B4D2-15BB05665CA2.jpeg
32B791E7-E5DA-41A3-B9C8-01156378A75F.jpeg

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Careful when you carve that one Chris. Ive never seen one cut open safely.

Joined Jul 13, 2012
We had our "Thanksgiving" yesterday. I had a Butterball smoked turkey, made stuffing from cornbread, rye and some roast garlic ciabbatta, sausage, etc., etc. and a creamed corn/oyster pudding + gravy and two sweet potato pies (from scratch). My granddaughter and I made whipped cream the old fashioned way - with a chilled whisk and bowl - a little agave and vanilla and it was delicious. After all that I did not get one damned picture of that turkey!!!

Suffice to say everything was delicious and some went for seconds . . . on everything - no idea where they put it, or how they can eat that much. Still plenty of leftovers ( II had a turkey/stuffing/cranberry/spicy mustard sandwich for lunch) And I get to make stock from the carcass and bones.

Joined Sep 8, 2015
I don't really tryout new dishes before thanksgiving as our spread is pretty typical because, well, we all love it. The last major change we made was several years back ditching the uber-sweet yams in favor of roasted sweet potatoes in brown butter sage sauce.

However, I did make Portuguese Custard Tarts this weekend thinking I may make them for breakfast on Friday or Saturday on Thanksgiving weekend. Hat tip to Chef John at Foodwishes.

I basically made a simple version of puff pastry, rolled into a cylinder, and chilled it over night. Then I cut that into slices, streched it into a muffin tins, and fulled the cups with custard flavored with cinnamon, lemon, and vanila. Then I put it into a very hot over until the custard is set and everything is browned nicely. The shells came out very crisp and crunchy and the filling was warm and creamy. A real nice pastry.

IMG_3266.JPG

IMG_3279.jpg

IMG_3294.jpg

Sorry I forgot to take pictures while I was making them. Photo credit to Mrs. Hank

Joined Apr 3, 2008
We had our "Thanksgiving" yesterday. I had a Butterball smoked turkey, made stuffing from cornbread, rye and some roast garlic ciabbatta, sausage, etc., etc. and a creamed corn/oyster pudding + gravy and two sweet potato pies (from scratch). My granddaughter and I made whipped cream the old fashioned way - with a chilled whisk and bowl - a little agave and vanilla and it was delicious. After all that I did not get one damned picture of that turkey!!!

Suffice to say everything was delicious and some went for seconds . . . on everything - no idea where they put it, or how they can eat that much. Still plenty of leftovers ( II had a turkey/stuffing/cranberry/spicy mustard sandwich for lunch) And I get to make stock from the carcass and bones.
Make sure you make something good with those leftovers, that’s part of the challenge!!

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I don't really tryout new dishes before thanksgiving as our spread is pretty typical because, well, we all love it. The last major change we made was several years back ditching the uber-sweet yams in favor of roasted sweet potatoes in brown butter sage sauce.

However, I did make Portuguese Custard Tarts this weekend thinking I may make them for breakfast on Friday or Saturday on Thanksgiving weekend. Hat tip to Chef John at Foodwishes.

I basically made a simple version of puff pastry, rolled into a cylinder, and chilled it over night. Then I cut that into slices, streched it into a muffin tins, and fulled the cups with custard flavored with cinnamon, lemon, and vanila. Then I put it into a very hot over until the custard is set and everything is browned nicely. The shells came out very crisp and crunchy and the filling was warm and creamy. A real nice pastry.

View attachment 67106

View attachment 67107

View attachment 67108

Sorry I forgot to take pictures while I was making them. Photo credit to Mrs. Hank
oh yum I wish I could eat that!

Joined May 4, 2005
Currently opening a new location and unable to spend Thanksgiving with my family in AZ. Normally we cook all day and enjoy delicious flavorful foods. This will be the first year with my in laws and I was just told they are ordering Thanksgiving dinner for 8 from Whole Foods. What? This will be a first for me and I'm actually relieved that I don't have to stand and cook this year because my feet are on fire from these long days! I thought I'd be more disappointed... I'll let you know how it is...

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I was going to do a chicken (instead of Turkey) on the weber rotisserie to go with my other dishes, but the leg broke off my grill :( And the rotisserie ring only fits that particular grill.
Time for some DIY repairs, and hopefully I can do this today or tomorrow

Joined May 5, 2010

View attachment 67106

View attachment 67107

View attachment 67108

I'm glad I'm not the only one that likes cinnamon and lemon together. These look awesome/

Top Bottom