Thanksgiving 2017

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by koukouvagia, Nov 21, 2017.

1. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    So what's on the menu this year?

Nothing interesting here. Going to my in-laws, their food is not that exciting so I'll live vicariously through you guys.

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Traditional New England style: Roasted turkey, roasted root vegetables, bread dressing, mashed white and sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, giblet gravy and popovers. Apple and pumpkin pie. Family.

eastshores likes this.
  3. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    I have my nephew coming in for Thanksgiving and he is quite the hipster. I looks like we will be doing Korean BBQ. I'll just buy a discounted turkey after Thanksgiving and cook it next week.

harpua likes this.
  4. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    o_O

Dude. You can have Korean BBQ anytime of the year, no reason to do it on Thanksgiving.

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    :emoji_thinking:

6. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    @someday. True, but I don’t have my nephew over any time. He’s in the army and is flying in to visit for Thanksgiving. I haven’t seen him in five years. It is his favorite meal.
    Why does it have to be turkey? Or Ham? Isn’t the point to just get together with loved ones and share a great meal?
    Turkey and all the fixings is actually my favorite meal of all time, but ...

7. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Not yet sure how many from my wife's "flock" will be attending. She is active in a Baptist church, does a lot of visiting of those who are unable to attend, and so on. She has invited a few over for dinner, even though our house is in total disarray. We had a roof leak over the back bedroom, some water damage and it turns out that the old drywall tape and jointing compound from many years ago is high in asbestos. Our bed is now in the living room, hardly anyplace for guests to sit. We'll see how it goes.

Anyway, I have some recently made beef stock so there will be a beef based soup after the charcuterie plate appetizers. Then a salad, may or may not involve grilled shrimp. The entree plate will have turkey thigh roulade, stuffed with a mushroom and sausage blend, bacon draped over it before roasting, mashed potatoes with gravy and some steamed asparagus with a buerre blanc if I get to it, lemon juice and toasted sesame seeds if I don't. Dessert will be a flourless chocholate cake topped with raspberries and dark rum whipped cream.

But if no one comes over maybe a box of mac and cheese and some little smokies.

mjb.

drirene likes this.
  8. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I am in charge of two smoked fried turkeys. Was going to take a year off but overwhelming demand..

I am vegan though.. for myself I am making Sichuan green beans on a wok. Cant stand anything with the word casserole.

drirene likes this.
  9. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I am doing traditional this year. Everything made from scratch..
    Separating the breast from the rest of the carcass and roasting them separately basting all the way.
    Mashed red potatoes, sweet potatoes with real maple syrup and butter, brussel sprouts with bacon and green onion, sage stuffing with giblet gravy, (with orders to leave out the mushrooms....sigh) cranberry sauce with Grand Marnier and orange peel, Lemon Meringue and Pumpkin pies

drirene likes this.
  10. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    We have fried a turkey for the last 8 years or so. We're changing it up this year and smoking one. Going to make a sage and thyme butter to rub under the skin and baste with. Hopefully it comes out OK - it's not something I've done before and the bird is almost 15 lbs.

I'm also in charge of the sweet potatoes. I might do them two ways.. everyone loves the brown sugar, butter, and chopped walnuts version - I am more of a savory guy so I think I'll do some rosemary and garlic roasted sweet potatoes too.

drirene and millionsknives like this.
  11. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I also make giblet gravy and I like to flambe my giblets in bourbon. I claim it takes away some gamey flavor but uh I do it for the lols.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    drirene likes this.
  12. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    98A7A372-FCBA-4978-8C00-330073577B86.jpeg Alas tomorrow is just another Thursday here in Sweden. Catering a dozen or so thanksgiving dinners for other expats here between Friday and Saturday. We shall gorge on turkey and fixins on Sunday, got 22 for dinner at home.
    Bonus, we’ve been having a wild boar population problem here and last Saturday they took 17 from the herd. So I’ve got a nice shoulder to smoke on the grille Sunday. Pick is from the car last week, hard to see the beasts but we counted 29 in the cornfield.

Edit: happy thanksgiving to everyone!!!!

salty dog and koukouvagia like this.
  13. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Having it Saturday and doing my traditional roast turkey with bread stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with marshmallow on top, 7 layer salad. Just having a few friends over. But doing a 20 pound bird and a lot of stuffing for lazy leftover meals! I vac bag meat and stuffing together, drop in a pot of simmering water to thaw and reheat. Stays moist that way!

14. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I figured I'd share.. my buddy had found a wet rub he wanted to try for smoking the turkey.. I wanted to do a compound butter.. so we're doing both. The wet rub under the skin, and the compound butter to rub the outside. The wet rub has olive oil, salt, minced garlic, minced thyme, minced rosemary, minced sage, white wine and balsamic vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce. I peeled and cubed the sweet potatoes. They are setup to cook later tomorrow with butter, fresh rosemary, thyme, S&P. Oh and my little reslish tray.. I usually do something to snack on. Yall have a safe thanksgiving!

[​IMG]

salty dog likes this.
  15. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Yummy, Eastshores, yummy.

16. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    @brianshaw I saw you are doing pop-overs! Do you use that kind of like a dinner roll replacement? Are they cheese or more sweet? I've never even eaten a pop-over but I understand they are tricky to execute.

17. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Popovers instead of dinner rolls. I reduce the sugar to about 25% and sprinkle with fresh thyme and red Hawaiian salt.

With ham I’ll spike with greuyere cheese instead.

They, indeed, can be tricky. In the past I’ve failed and ended up making a quick batch of biscuits.

drirene and eastshores like this.
  18. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Starting the stuffing, just the usual suspects here. Bird, cornbread stuffing, roasted sweets, steamed brussels, lots of gravy, and homemade cranberry sauce that I canned a bunch of last month with cranberries that are grown within a few miles of home.

drirene and salty dog like this.
  19. eastshores

eastshores

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I did a friendsgiving on Monday.. they gave me the carcasses.. 2 days in the fridge smelled good.. I roasted them with a few carrots I had and a red onion. Cooked down.. ready for gravy today! Hotel pans are great for large jobs!
    [​IMG]

drirene likes this.
  20. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    drirene, teamfat and millionsknives like this.