thank god

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by andrew563, Oct 12, 2005.

1. andrew563

andrew563

thank god cheftalk is still here. I haven't had internet for awhile now. But now I have it back, and cheftalk is still here. I remember this sight from about 10? years ago. It was great then and looks great still. I am glad its still here.

Myself, I am currently the lead of an upscale restaurant atop a hotel. Pretty much run of the mill food. But I try to do it well. I landed a second job in a downtown cafe connected to a bookstore. I am just trailing in the place these first two days, looks like it might be fun.

Again, I am glad cheftalk is still here. Its good to be back

Andrew

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Welcome back, Andrew! Yes, we're still here and have over 5,000 members. A lot of us think this is the best place on the web. I think we've been up and running since 1999, but I'd have to ask Nicko!

Your work sounds like it keeps you on your toes.

Come back often and don't miss the articles, reviews and features at the main ChefTalk.com site!

Regards,
    Mezzaluna

3. even stephen

even stephen

Andrew,
    You may be able to help me. I am working for a private resort/club and am in the
    midst of a major growth spurt. I have a million questions about purchasing departments, contract labor, capitol expense, budgeting, billing cycles, servicing
    multiple revenue centers with one kitchen, monthly p&l's, beverage revenue food
    items, human resources, etc. The list goes on and on. i have worked in restaurants
    for 25 years, but have only just become involved in the admin. part of it all. I have
    many friends in the business, but none in the same environment I am in. I am still
    involved in the day to day goings on of rooms service, bars, and restaurants in resort,
    but will soon be opening another like property. I know every property will be different,
    but I am hoping to formulate some sort of plan that can be applied to every property
    opening in which I participate. I understand that I am not a familiar participant in this
    forum, but, I am at a point in my career when I am going to have to probably put the
    knive down and learn an entirely different side of my trade. As it is I spend more than
    50% of my time in an administrative role. Many may read this. Please feel free to
    move this reply to any area. Thanks so much. I only replied to Andrew because "top
    of a hotel" was mentioned.

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Stephen, I can move only the entire conversation. If you'd like a wider audience, I suggest you start a thread in one of the professional chefs' forums here at the Cafe. Good luck!

Mezzaluna

5. andrew563

andrew563

wow, you have a full plate buddy.

My focus is still on the food and the details of one kitchen.
    I would take mezzalunas advice and go to the pro chefs forum. Hopefully someone with more skills and experience in that area can help. good luck man. Just remember to keep the fire in the belly.

Andrew

6. even stephen

even stephen

Mr. Half Moon,
    I think I am what you might consider technologically retarded. It may take me a
    little more time to figure out how to start a thread. This will probably happen when
    I figure out what a thread is. It has also crossed my mind that perhaps chef talk
    may not have been created for such heavy topics. Most Q&A seems to be on the
    light side. Don't get me wrong, I still can find plenty to learn within the different
    posts. I would be grateful if you could move my request for assistance to andrew
    yesterday to a more appropriate forum. Boy, after reading some of the posts I
    feel like a dinosaur. Things were so different in the 80's and 90's. I do have some
    sympathy for the younger people in the trade, but, if asked if I shed a tear for some
    of the things they are going through, I would have to giggle. When I started in this
    trade I was to afraid to have a chip on my shoulder. When I was decent enough to
    have a chip on my shoulder, I realized that if anybody saw that chip, they would
    take it and beat the living @#&*! out of me with it. Well anyway, thankyou so much
    for taking the time to reply to me. Have a wonderful day and stay between the ditches

even stephen

7. even stephen

even stephen

Andrew,
    Thanks so much for the reply. My guess, is that I will be lucky to find someone
    who can help me with my particular problems. They really are not that different
    than the ones you experience in one kitchen. Sadly, I, would have never imagined
    how much I miss working on the line and in the kitchen. Whether its flipping eggs,
    working on a couple hundred amuse', cutting meat, or slipping into the zone on
    the line, every one thing you do seems to contribute to the experience of the guest
    or member. I reckon that's the whole point. Thanks again!

even stephen

8. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Hey, Andrew! I completely agree with you about how great ChefTalk is! (And not just because I'm a mod here :D ) Is your second job at Afterwords (Kramerbooks)? I spent a lot of time there (as a customer) when I lived in DC in the late 1970s, and was just back this past March. It's not a "gourmet tapdance" but it serves a good purpose.

And for both Andrew and Stephen: we have several members who are/have been chefs at clubs, so just ask and they will help you.

9. andrew563

andrew563

Actually I am in washington state

10. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    :blush: Well, you're very welcome here in any state! :D