tetanus

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by phatch, Feb 16, 2006.

1. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I recently had some sort of infection around my ear and into the jaw. The Dr. asked about my tetanus immunization which was long lapsed. He ended up thinking it was some other minor infection that should heal up. And it mostly has.

But I got looking into tetanus a bit today ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetanus ) and I realized that cooks are at a decent risk actually. Lots of knife exposure and soil products in the kitchen. That combination is pretty good for introducing tetanus.

I assume tetanus shots are required by law for kitchen workers?

Anyway, I thought I'd bring this up for those casual cooks among us that you should consider updating your tetanus. It's recommended every 10 years. I suspect my last one was when I was 19.

Phil

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    [irony alert] Required by law? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sure, just like hepatitis and HIV tests.

[/irony]

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    it's important to keep up with the dates.....several years ago I had a tetanus shot after 5-6 years because of a bad cut. Man O' Man, my arm was messed up for several months with a hard large knot....for the first few weeks it even had a fever. Bad reaction.

4. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
  5. aprilb

aprilb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Actually, while having a regular tetanus shot is prudent, it's recommended every 10 years or 5 IF you've had a serious 'dirty' puncture wound/injury. The 'rusty nail' argument that my folks would always mention.

Meaning, while I would keep my Tetanus shots up to date, I wouldn't go running to my Doctor every time I injured myself to get one. Another thing, you have roughly 72 hours from injury to shot to be protected if you don't have a current one. Then you are dependent on treatment, which has come a long way at this point.

It's caused by a spore that thrives on little oxygen, like botulism...that's why a puncture wound is more risky because it seals itself in and then lives long and prospers...well, as long as YOU do...AND is mostly found in areas with horses/livestock. Mainly in dirt. Oddly enough Utah has one of the highest concentrations of Tetanus spores in its' soil. The chance of transmission is pretty much zip between food handlers and people, so routine testing would be moot. It's not something you carry, like Hep or HIV. It's something that you get and either get over or die from.

I would be far more concerned with blood poisoning due to the amount of biological (as in salmonella or Godknows?) stuff we come into contact with. Those pretty little red streaks running up your arm...

So, anybody hungry now? LOL :bounce:

April

6. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    April...very impressive. It's good to have a medical expert around here! If you're not, you certainly come off like one. Nicely done!:)