Terrines, pâtés, ...

Discussion in 'Cookbook Reviews' started by pilif, Jul 31, 2011.

1. pilif

pilif

Exp:
    Home Cook
    hello there, long time lurker, first time poster here.

Over time I've found a lot of good stuff on this forum, but I'm stuck now.
    I'm looking for a good book (or something else) dedicated to pâté and terrine and other meaty puddings :).
    I know a lot of the books on general charcuterie contain sections on pâté, but I'm looking if there is some sort of 'conclusive' book on the sole subject of terrines etc.?

thanks

2. john dt

john dt

Exp:
    At home cook
  3. pilif

pilif

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I was aware of that list, and I'll probably try some of those;
    but I was hoping someone could point me towards the 'good' books, I don't know enough yet about pate to be able to distinguish the good (recipes, instructions, ...) from the bad.

4. haole

haole

Exp:
    Line Cook
    While not dedicated to it, Garde Manger from CIA has a great section on it.

ISBN: 0-471-46849-5

5. haole

haole

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Also, I'm sure there are newer copies of it out, That's just the one that I have floating around.

6. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    If you want the real classical ones try these 2 books..Library can order for you cause 2nd one is expensive. 1. Guide Culinaire By A Escoffier.  and 2. Modern French Culinary Art by H.P  Pellapratt

. I learned how to do them as well as Gallintines of all types from these 2 works..

The CIA book is more modern. My good friend Fritz Sonnenschmidt  authored this. There was a CIA book prior to his called Book Of Buffets by George K Waldner full of good pictures too you may also find helpful.

7. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Best one I've got is from the '80's, a Teubner book, Called  "Das Grosse Buch Der Pasteten".  I'm sure there is a an englisch translation, as there are so many for the other Teubner books.

isbn3-7742-4212-7

Hope this helps