Terrine substitue for paté

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by rpooley, Dec 17, 2016.

1. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm making lots of paté for a big holiday party.  My usual terrines are full and I was wondering about using a Pullman pan.

It's 14" length (3.5" x 3.5" width and height).  Since it's in a water bath, I don't think the outside will overcook before the center is done but I don't want all the fat to melt out.

Any thoughts?

2. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Pullman is quite long....how about a simple bread loaf pan.....or store bought aluminum foil pans from the baking aisle.

3. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    A Pullman or pain de mie pan works beautifully, but it is very big. Before you start packing in your farce, be sure to fill the pan with water and measure how much: you'll be surprised just how much it will hold. Also note that if you're going to weight the pate (some are for, some against this), you're going to need to cut a new piece of wood or whatever, because it's a peculiar size unlike anything else, and the lid absolutely will not work for the purpose.

One thing this is very good for is inlay work, by the way, because it gives you space to work lengthwise. Consider a perfectly trimmed pair of chicken supremes, laid end to end, flat on a bunch of slices of prosciutto and rolled up tight. The ham keeps most of the pate's juices out during cooking, and when you cut into the final product, you'll have this gorgeous white circle in the center. (I learned that one from one of Penelope Casas's books.)

I would not serve it as a terrine, myself, because a pain de mie  pan is, let's face it, kind of ugly. Myself, I would line the pan with precisely-cut strips of parchment, leaving some overhang all around. Then at the end run a knife around and gently pull on the strips and the whole thing will come out as a huge, beautiful block.

4. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks for the tips, especially the chicken/prosciutto idea     /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif