Ten more days! Are you ready?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by phaedrus, Nov 22, 2016.

1. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The new rules for overtime go into effect in ten days!  Is everyone ready?  We have examined the new rules and have our plan in place.  I don't want this thread to be deleted like the last one so I will tread carefully; I think there is some reason to think the rules may change back sometime next year.  But we have to proceed with the laws as they are now.

One big change we're making, not completely but in part due to the new rules, will be to stop lunch service next year.  We do a great dinner business but lunch is hit and miss.  In our market it's hard to make it profitable due to high labor costs (eg here in MN servers all make $9.50 with no exemption for tipped employees), and we run 55% labor on the mediocre lunch shifts.  No bueno!  Once the new rules go into effect next month it will be even harder since I'll have to cut my Sous back to 40 hours or put him on the clock.  So I'd be looking at adding another body on days where it's already not really worth being open.  We will still do Saturday lunch since that's kind of an all-day event for us and Sunday brunch since that's always pretty solid.  Ultimately our revenue will probably drop 15% or so but expenses should drop 25%-30%.

That's the second part.  My Sous will be a lucky guy!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif   He'll be getting a raise and working less hours- maybe he'll trade jobs with me?/img/vbsmilies/smilies/chef.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif   Hopefully with adjusting our hours of service to just the times that we do a good volume will make it easier to have management coverage when it's important without blowing up labor.

To any of you folks still "in the trenches", do you have your plans in place?/img/vbsmilies/smilies/lever.gif

2. spice77

spice77

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I was looking forward to a holiday season with perhaps less hours and more money, but alas, the club lawyers found the "Executive Exemption".  

https://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime/fs17b_executive.pdf 

I believe the judge will not rule in favor of the law today, but if he did, it won't last until February. 

3. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I see that there was an 11th hour stay of the order.  It could still take effect in Dec, hard to say.  It's nerve racking not knowing how it will play out.  For now I'm going to schedule under the assumption that the new rules will be in force but it's hard to say.